PDA

View Full Version : Friday Evening Results

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-18-2003, 12:54 PM
After a very hectic week, I turned to my favorite new relaxation device..........(the one that doesn't come in a Bottle!) I cranked up the Lathe and the Radio and had some fun! :D I turned a Bowl from another section of Hedge Maple, a Mushroom from a rather non-descript piece of Firewood that was laying around, and this little lidded thingy from a small section of a Locust Log that was also in the Firewood Pile. The Bowl Received a couple coats of Antique Oil, as did the lidded thingy, and were buffed this morning. The Mushroom has a coat or two of Antique Oil as well, but he is happy just like he is, so no buffing on him. After this turning session excorcised all the demons of the work week, I slept like a baby! :D As always, thanks for the opportunity to share my work with my friends, and thanks for taking a look! Enjoy the weekend all! ;)

Jim Becker
10-18-2003, 1:44 PM
Geepers creepers...I haven't beenn on the lathe in months and you just keep cranking out this amazing work Kevin! :o

I guess I have to get the shop back in shape and start spinning. The bowl and the 'shroom are very, very nice...and the un-square box is also great.

Glenn Hodges
10-18-2003, 5:00 PM
Kevin, your work is improving or I am enjoying it more with each picture you post. Love the color and grain in the mushroom. The bowl has good lines--keep it up.

Terry Quiram
10-19-2003, 7:03 AM
Kevin

Nice bowl. What the heck is "hedge maple"? Ain't mushrooms fun? I could crank them out all day. The Locust looks great. The box is pretty cool to. I have only done one. I am attacking the wood pile today and making blanks.

Terry

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-19-2003, 7:53 AM
Yep Terry, the Mushrooms are VERY fun! I envision Mushrooms all over the house before long! :D Hedge Maple is probably more common than you might think. The Hedge Maple is a very cool tree..............it has always baffled me why it isn't planted more. The Hedge Maple, Acer Campestre, was widely used in Europe for hedges. They can be grown as a hedge, utilizing a multi-stemmed plant, or as a shade tree utilizing a single trunked plant. They mature at about 30' tall and about a 30' spread. They are great urban trees, transplant well, and are very hardy. As you can see from the bowl, the wood is outstanding as well. I threw in a photo of a Mature Hedge Maple and the leaf detail, just for kicks. Thanks all for the kind words, it is truly appreciated! :)

Joe Tonich
10-19-2003, 8:46 AM
Kevin,

Nice work, especially the 'shroom. One of these days I'm gonna have to try making one.

Joe - who just added another thing to his "want to try" list. :)

Byron Trantham
10-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Kevin, sure wish I had room for a lathe. You "turn" out nice work.

Ted Shrader
10-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Kevin -

Very cool. Especially the mushroom. Also, thanks for the botany lesson - every little bit helps.

Ted

Jim Baker
10-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Very nice turnings, Kevin.

Are your neighbors locking up their firewood or
installing security cameras yet?

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-19-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the tip Jim..............I will have to take a midnight stroll some evening, and see who has what! :D By the way, how is the Firewood Supply looking in the Neoga Area? :p

Jim Baker
10-19-2003, 6:12 PM
By the way, how is the Firewood Supply looking in the Neoga Area? :p

There are a lot less wood burners in my neighborhood than there used to be. One of my uncles burns a lot of firewood, but his is all already split into pieces that are fairly small. When I was a kid, I used to help my Grandpa, his brother, and their sons cut firewood all the time. They hauled it to Champaign and sold it for a much higher price than what is sold for around here.

A couple of weeks ago, on a nice evening like this, I took a walk in the woods covering about a half mile radius of my home. There was so much wood laying around on the ground. One neighbor had his forest logged two or three years ago, so there are tree tops laying everywhere. He also has a pile of cull logs left out there that were (I assume) either too short, too narrow, or of substandard quality. This pile would probably fill 10 pickup loads at least.

In my tiny woods there are two dead walnuts that are probably 8-10 inches around, tall and straight. Too small for lumber, but would probably make great turning wood or firewood.

My uncle's property borders mine on three sides. He has a variety of trees down from storms over the years. Also, there are tons of trees lodged in the two creeks that run through his property. Every imaginable size, type, and condition.

I guess that's my long winded way of saying that the wood supply in Neoga is great if it's the kind you are looking for. Unfortunately, I didn't see any more lumber sized red oaks (which is mostly what I use right now.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-19-2003, 7:16 PM
Jim, that is a shame to have so much wood laying around unused. I have seen this on a few occasions after logging operations. I was always amazed at what they left behind, but I guess they can only use what they can mill, and the rest goes to waste. I guess ones mans trash really is another man's treasure? Sounds like you have a turners dream within a stone's throw of your house............... :) You're gonna have to get a lathe! ;)

Jim Baker
10-19-2003, 8:55 PM
Jim, that is a shame to have so much wood laying around unused. I have seen this on a few occasions after logging operations. I was always amazed at what they left behind, but I guess they can only use what they can mill, and the rest goes to waste. I guess ones mans trash really is another man's treasure? Sounds like you have a turners dream within a stone's throw of your house............... :) You're gonna have to get a lathe! ;)

It is definitely a shame to see all of this wood going to waste. We used some of it for three weiner roasts this fall but that didn't amount to much. We were able to get lumber from three storm damaged trees this summer - about 200 bf of great cherry and 100 bf each of red oak and white oak. We cut up the tops and gave them to my uncle (my golf partner) who burns firewood. Even so, there is still an endless supply going to waste. If you ever find yourself up this way, stop by. Maybe we can find some stuff for you to turn.

I keep thinking I will get a lathe, but my list of flatwork projects for our home is still quite long - another set of office cabinets, some more raised panel doors and drawer fronts for cabinets we have already built and installed, an armoire for the front entry, some end tables for the family room, some bookshelves for our bedroom, a whole new set of furniture for my son's bedroom, ...........

Maybe someday???