PDA

View Full Version : Something Interesting;

Kenneth George
10-08-2006, 8:41 PM
Well to me anyway and maybe a few others. Recently along with several other items I picked up another #80 Cabinet Scraper. The thing had a blade in it about 4” long by 2-1/2” wide. It was rather covered with fine rust but it did not look to be in too bad of condition so I decided to clean it up. The blade was sharpened with a gentle curve across it and from the marks left on it I would think it was done with a file. Now the interesting part revealed itself one the blade was cleaned up. Down towards the sharp part of the blade and off center and running vertical I found the following that appeared to have been engraved.

HENRY DISSTON& SON
PHILADA USA
NO 20

Now I say engraved as you can see scratch patterns inside the letters and there is no ghosting on the opposite side of the blade as you would see on things stamped. The type above is exactly how it appears on the blade including the missing space between the N and the & symbol.

So I know that original hand card scrapers were made from old saw blades and I kind of feel this is what was done here but I find no reference to a # 20 Disston saw.

Where do you guys think it came from and does the engraving give any clues to its age?

Ken

Mike Wenzloff
10-08-2006, 9:49 PM
Hi Ken,

Disston did make a D-20 and a No 120. But that's not what you have. Disston also made scraper blades. Walt has a picture of a Stanley scraper that has a Disston scraper blade in it:

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/tools/shaves%20and%20scrapers/12%20quarter/12%20QUARTER.html

And Disston made dozens of other edge and measuring/marking tools as well.

Here's a blade alone:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/DisstScrBlade_2x4.jpg

Take care, Mike

Chuck Nickerson
10-09-2006, 12:17 AM
timeframe. First came "Disston", then "Disston & Son", then "Disston and Sons". Can an expert nowcome forward?

Mike Wenzloff
10-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Not an expert and I did miss the single son on the OP...

Single "& Son" was used from ~1865 to ~1871. Very narrow range. Which is why the single Son saws are worth a tad.

Take care, Mike

Kenneth George
10-09-2006, 9:21 AM
That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. A little knowledge on something like this just adds a bit more history to the object.

Thanks so much, Ken