PDA

View Full Version : Wood coaster frame

Tom Cullen
10-08-2006, 7:52 PM
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone could help me locate a supplier or a person willing to make the wood surround for coasters? I purchased a few boxes of 4.25 inch cermark white tiles ( laser engraving tiles ) that I would like to insert into wood coaster frames. I see a few websites that offer the tiles and trivets all together, but find their prices rather high especially when I add on cost for resell.I would be more interested in the coaster rather than the actual container to store them in ( trivet ). Anyone care to give me a rough price? Most people here in San Diego that I have spoken with make furniture. Please see attachment for example.

Lee DeRaud
10-08-2006, 8:03 PM
How thick are the tiles?

My inclination would be to cut the frames on the laser: one piece with a hole for the tile, one solid for the backing, laminate them together, round over the edges with a router.

Perry Holbrook
10-08-2006, 8:32 PM
Would this work for you? Cut the solid wood stock maybe 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" by 3/8". Route out 4 3/4 x 4 3/4 x 1/8. Glue the tiles in place as soon as possible after machining. (The wood will very likely "cup" quickly after the routing and the tile will keep that from happening.)

If so I may be able to knock out a few hundred for you. (A good project for my pin router that I haven't put in service yet.)

PM if interested. Perry

Tom Cullen
10-08-2006, 8:58 PM
Thanks lee,
I'm sure that would work but I really don't have the time to do devote to this and would much rather have someone else do it for me if the price is right.

Perry,
I'm not sure what the thickness of the tile is but can get back to you tomorrow with that info. Can you give me a general idea what the cost might be?