PDA

View Full Version : Hall Table

Dave Avery
10-18-2003, 12:14 PM
All,

Hopefully some new photo editing software has cured my picture posting ills. Prior attempts were dismal, to say the least.

Anyway, hopefully attached is a picture of a just completed hall table made for a benefit silent auction this evening. It's a fairly standard 18" deep X 48" wide by 30" high.

The top is block mottled makore veneer banded with solid mahogany. The rails are curly makore veneer, again banded with mahogany. Both the top and rails have a slight chamfer on the edge. The legs are solid mahogany with a slight taper. The overall design is rather simple to let the veneer stand out.

The finish is 3 coats of varnish, topped with a couple of coats of wax applied and buffeed with my new Festool Rotex 150.

Thanks for looking....... Dave.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Dave, that is a Nice'un! The wood is absolutely beautiful, and the design and finish are just great! Very classy design. Now that will be one hot item at the Auction! Kudo's to you for donating such an awesome piece for a benefit..............if that doesn't make you feel good about yourself, nothing will. Thanks for sharing the photo with us...........by the way, the picture looks just fine to me! :D

Jim Becker
10-18-2003, 1:46 PM
Very kewel table, Dave. I love the contrast between the figured stock and the complimentary materials. That veneer is outstanding!

Ken Garlock
10-18-2003, 1:57 PM
I would be proud to have it on display in my home. Someone will be a lucky bider :)

Let us know how much the winning bid was.

scott spencer
10-18-2003, 2:19 PM
Nice work with both the pic and the table, Dave. The dimensions are the only thing "standard" about it.....it's beeeyouteeful!

Joe Tonich
10-18-2003, 8:37 PM
Dave,

NICE table!!! I love figured wood and you did that makore justice. :) Whoever wins the bid will be one happy (and probably broke ) person.

Joe

Charles McKinley
10-18-2003, 9:40 PM
Hi Dave,

Great table, I hope the people at the auction have deep pockets so the chairty gets what that craftsmanship deserves. Have someone there to buy it back if it goes too low.

Brad Hammond
10-18-2003, 9:43 PM
HOLY ...................CRAP!!!!

great work!

Dave Avery
10-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words.........

Ken - $300, about what I had thought it would sell for, and not too bad given that the crowd was generally not well-to-do. Also, it was one of the higher dollar items. $300 is about 2X material cost, less than one would expect, but the new owner is happy and so am I. Again, thanks for looking. Dave.