PDA

View Full Version : Scaling back

Matt Meiser
10-08-2006, 2:18 PM
This will probably come as a big suprise, but I've reached a decision after much deliberation in my mind to significantly scale back my shop. I broke the news to my wife this weekend and she is supportive of my decision which I was kind of worried about. There is no huge reason, but many smaller ones. One of the reasons is that I've had sinus infections for almost a year which are at a minimum being aggrivated by doing woodworking (this is obvious to me since I get congested almost right away.) I've also reached a point where I it is not relaxing and I get stressed out about projects. I've already get more than enough of that at work. Finally, at least to the point I've taken things, it has proven to be a very big financial investement that continues on and on--even when it comes to building projects.

Since I've already started on a suite of bedroom furniture for my daughter, my wife and I discussed me finishing that this fall.

So over the next few weeks and months I'm going to be putting quite a few items up for sale, starting this week. I haven't really decided exactly how far I'm going to scale down, but I'm going to focus on being able to build an occasional cabinet-type project or other simpler projects. To that end I see rebuilding my shop around my EZ-Smart system and possibly a smaller portable tablesaw that I can store out of the way when not in use.

Richard Wolf
10-08-2006, 3:14 PM
Sad news, sorry.

Richard

Wes Bischel
10-08-2006, 3:20 PM
Matt,
Well, if it's not fun and relaxing, it's work. I hope you can find a level of WW, or other things that are fun to do. I admire your thinking.

Wes

John Renzetti
10-08-2006, 3:37 PM
hi Matt, That's sad news. Instead of selling things right away, why not just put the things you want to sell in storage. Wait a year. Then if you still feel the same way, then sell the stuff in storage. If you start missing the equipment after 6 months just take it out of storage. This is a lot easier and less expensive than deciding that you really need a certain piece of equipment that you just sold.
take care,
John

Mack Cameron
10-08-2006, 3:50 PM
Hi Matt; you mean you are going to quit at age 34! What are you going to do when you are 64?

Good advice from John, store them for a few years, try another hobby, then decide if you really don't want to do it. Wear a respirator when you are working around the sawdust. Quit never; let me talk to your wife.

Gary Keedwell
10-08-2006, 4:22 PM
I'm with John on this one. Put the tools away for awhile and see what happens. I used to gets this uncontrollabe rash and itch on my arms and thought it had something to do with working in machine shop. My father had the same thing and claimed it was machine shop allergies. Well, I quit machine shop and found I was still getting the "rash-itching" a couple times a year. And it was just on my arms. I went back to machine shop six months ago and am only now getting the itch- rash. It took 6 months so I guess I have to blame something else. (pollen?)

Anyways, whether you scale back or not, whatever is causing your problems is still there.

Gary K.

Jim King
10-08-2006, 5:09 PM
I dont have any allergy problems which I guess can be troublesome but when I try to do something to big and it tales to long I do get frustrated. Just pulling this out of the sky I would bet if you did more small projects that take less time you wouldnt get so lathered up and you would rethink your decision. Time is on your side. Think it over slowly. Good luck.

Mike Armstrong
10-08-2006, 5:15 PM
Well, it's definitely not good it if it causes more mental stress and physical problems than contentment and relaxation. I can really relate to the mounting stress of pending projects. I still experienced that after retiring - more time for woodworking, but more projects I expect myself to work on and complete.

But after wookworking for decades, I got into carving a couple years ago. I find it to be about the most relaxing and rewarding work I do. Started with a couple classes that stressed architectual carving - fans, shells, acanthus leaf, ball & claw foot, etc. I'm now working on doing a Native American bust. No hurry, no deadline. I have no interest in chip carving, power carving, decoys, etc., but maybe years from now, who knows? You might take a look around and see what strikes your fancy. There's a ton on info on the web, books, etc., but just start slow. One of my favorite carvers is Chris Pye. Not hard to find info about him.

Mike

glenn bradley
10-08-2006, 6:33 PM
I work with a man who is very susceptible to sinus infections and when they fire up he is not a happy guy. I'm sorry to hear about that problem for you with WWing being an interest. I'll second (or third?) the idea of stashing some of the more expensive tools. As stated, if you find out you really wanted that one . . . its still there. After a period of time you'll know when its safe to say goodbye.

Lee DeRaud
10-08-2006, 6:44 PM
Matt, hobbies are cyclic, just like everything else in life. At your age, this could easily happen 2 or 3 more times before you pack it in for good.

Unless you really need the space and/or cash from selling the stuff, hang onto it and most likely the urge to use it will come around again when it's the right time for you.

Doug Shepard
10-08-2006, 6:56 PM
Sorry to hear this. I was under the impression that you'd just gotten the shop all done up the way you wanted it. Seems like the perfect time to stop working on shop stuff, and do projects a bit more fun. But if you're not getting enjoyment out of it it's certainly time for a break. But selling off stuff??? Seems kinda drastic. There ought to be a way to control the dust to the point it's not bothering you. Hope the situation improves for you, whatever route you take.

Mack Cameron
10-08-2006, 7:57 PM
Looks like all of our encouragement was for naught! Check out the Classifieds!

Tyler Howell
10-08-2006, 8:07 PM
What they said!!!
Many of us watched as you built that shop:( .
It's got to be fun!

Frank Pellow
10-08-2006, 8:08 PM
Sorry that it has come to this for you Matt. But if you are not enjoying woodworking and it is causing health problems, scaling back is certainly the way to go. I hope that, in a few years, you are able to scale up again.

Matt Meiser
10-08-2006, 8:32 PM
Guys, thanks for the encouragement concern, advice, and kind words. I'm not completely giving up, just scaling back to more of a hobby level shop. I plan to use my shop, but will do other stuff in addition to some woodworking. None of the reasons I gave are huge reasons--but there are a lot of reasons that make . This is something I've been thinking about for quite some time--even before my router accident last year. In the last 6 months I have come more and more to this conclusion. I restored the Delta lathe I bought and enjoyed the restoration much more than turning. Maybe I'll do some machinery restorations for the fun of doing it and then sell the tools.

Lee is right about hobbies being cyclic and that is certianly true for me. What I've finally started learning about myself is that I can take it too far and it becomes too consuming. I need to realign, if you will, my investment (money, time, space) in the hobby so that I can enjoy some other hobbies.

Jim Young
10-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Matt, I sure that what ever it is you are planning to do you will enjoy it. From what I've seen of you so far you really like what you are doing. If I could I would buy your building off of you :lol:. To bad it's not as transportable as your tools. As for the sinus infections, how about doing more hand tool work??

Ron Robinson
10-09-2006, 8:07 AM
Matt,

I've read all the encouraging posts and can only add that it seems you've reached this decision after a great deal of thought and I respect and support that completely.

I can understand your frame of mind somewhat. People often say to me (to be polite): "You're really good at this, why don't you do it professionally?" Well, then it becomes a vocation and not an avocation. For me this is a relaxing hobby and I have only the greatest respect and admiration for those of you who do it professionally.

Good luck, and keep posting.

Ron Robinson

Lincoln Myers
10-09-2006, 9:23 AM
Must have been a difficult decision to make. Sorry to hear it, but I'm sure you'll figure out a way to enjoy some aspect of woodworking in the future.

Good luck with the next hobby and take care.

-Linc

Rob Russell
10-09-2006, 9:31 AM
Matt,

If the sawdust is bothering your sinuses, consider moving to a Nander (hand tool) shop. It's really hard to snort up plane shavings and you could still have the fun of woodworking. There some sawdust makers like hand saws, but the vast majority of the work would be non dust-producing.

Rob

Dan Clark
10-09-2006, 11:07 AM
There have been many posts in the past where people had allergic reactions to wood dust.

- Have you looked at better dust collection - better fixed traditional DCs'?

- How about portable, tool-level DC's like Festool and Fein?

Have you tried full facemask protection? (I think Woodcraft sells one.)

Regards,

Dan.

Dave Hale
10-09-2006, 4:07 PM
Whether you keep on woodworking or not, try the following for sinus infections. I used to get 3-4/yr and since I've started doing 'nasal irrigation', I haven't had an antibiotic-level sinus infection since Nov '02!
Recommendation from my ENT. Totally drug-free

NeilMed (neilmeddotcom) - Available at a bunch of drugstores. Get the Bottle and 50 packets. Add distilled water, do a bottle twice a day and see how you feel. I warm the water up to room temperature. Be careful not to get too hot! If it doesn't work, you're out 12 bucks, but it sure works for me. I have around 10 friends now who swear by this method. I use it when I travel now because I've upgraded to the following:

Waterpik and the Grossan adapter.

You can search for 'nasal irrigation' and get lots of good advice.
It sounds gross and painful, I know, but the water gets 'salinated' to a level your body has no issue with so there's no pain involved. I do it 2 times daily and when I start to get a cold, 3-4 times a day. Use to be, get a head cold, automatic sinus infection. No more.

Good luck.

Dave Ray
10-09-2006, 6:48 PM
Matt, I respect your decision to cut back.... but not quit. Please keep posting to SMC though. You have many friends here who would like to keep in touch.

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 6:54 PM
Matt,

You have my utmost respect in your decision. Wood dust is a contributor to sinus infections (for me any way) but I use all I can to keep that settled so I can do what I really love doing. Don't sell off yet, just put them aside and make your final decision in a few months. Setting priorities is something we all need to do.