PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated (long)

Christopher K. Hartley
10-08-2006, 1:19 PM
Well, I wrote WMH Tool Group to see if I could order a 1642 Headstock and Tailstock for my 1442VSK. I wanted to get a price so I'd have some idea of the value of this upgrade. Both the 1442 and the 1642 use the same bed and legs so it should be simple...Right?...NOT!! This was the correspondence,

"He could do that… if we had a headstock assembly. We do have the tailstock as an assembly, JWL1642-TCA, but it might be more trouble than it’s worth getting all of the parts for the headstock assembly and assembling it himself though…"

"So, are you saying that you do not sell the headstock fully assembled or that you are currently out of stock?"

"Sorry, we are just out of stock."

"Great, I’m not looking to do this right away. I just wanted to get an idea of the costs involved and if they would fit my rails. I am very pleased with my Jet and would like to remain with the Jet brand. I just need to consider more features and a bigger swing. "

"I was wrong, we don't offer the headstock assembled."

I won't bother to share my last response but suffice it to say I was not happy even though I continued to be nice and asked if there was "...some kind of work-a-round for this type of situation..."

Their answer? Nothing further. They were very helpful when I needed to order my belts, I wonder what happened?:mad: Just venting...thanks for listening.:o

Bill Boehme
10-08-2006, 2:11 PM
I think that their first response is your answer. Buy the parts separtely, assemble them yourself and you are in business. While you are at it, find out what the frame size is for the motor and locate a good used one on ebay. If you are patient and willing to spend a couple months culling through motors, you can get an occasional excellent deal. I bought a $2400 Baldor motor for less than $100 and it works perfectly. You will also need a VFD and those can also be found on ebay for a lot less than buying one from Jet.

Bill

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Why not save your pennies and buy a scratch-n-dent PM 3520B from General Industrial Supply? I've bought S-N-D from them before and all there was on the machine was a very minor scratch on the side of the unit. Just a thought.

Ernie Nyvall
10-09-2006, 1:25 AM
Hope everything works out with this Chris.

Bill Boehme
10-09-2006, 1:45 AM
Why not save your pennies and buy a scratch-n-dent PM 3520B from General Industrial Supply? I've bought S-N-D from them before and all there was on the machine was a very minor scratch on the side of the unit. Just a thought.
OH ......... Maybe that explains why I could not find them on the web ........ I was looking for Scratch & Sniff on Google! No wonder all of the results seemed strange.

BTW, they must be out of business because their web site is no longer there.

Bill