PDA

View Full Version : Response to opposite gender posts ?

Ken Salisbury
10-18-2003, 9:41 AM
I have received an inquiry from a person interested in becoming a member of SMC. This person is a female and is concerned the replies to her posts and questions would not generate as many responses if she were to use a real first name (which would identify her gender) as required by the Terms of Service.

I would like to see as many members as possible (especially our female members) participate in this poll to test the temperature of the water in "The Creek".

Ted Shrader
10-18-2003, 9:50 AM
Ken -

When a person posts a question (or response for that matter) I read the post. If I can help or offer a suggestion, I reply. During the process of drafting my reply, I look for a name so the reply can be addressed properly.

That is literally the first time I notice to whom the reply is going (except is cases where I am familiar withthe poster's name).

What problem???

Ted

Doug Keener
10-18-2003, 9:52 AM
There are other female members and I believe they have a lot to offer in both ideas and talent. They are all welcome in my book.

Doug Keener

Glenn Clabo
10-18-2003, 9:54 AM
IMHO - I really don't believe there would be less responses. If anything, subject to the questions asked of course, there may be more. I personnally enjoy seeing that more and more women are becoming interested in woodworking. In many ways the questions and learning experience, from a slightly different perspective, is a win/win for all of us.

Ed Falis
10-18-2003, 9:54 AM
I'm pretty much like Ted. Gender isn't going to make any difference to me.

- Ed

Jason Roehl
10-18-2003, 9:55 AM
I'm with Ted on this. My decision to reply is based on my ability to add to the discussion with relevant info (unless I'm just joking around with some of the "regulars" or folks that I've already met). Whether or not I reply has absolutely nothing to do with the gender of the person asking the question.

I certainly hope that the potential newcomer joins up and jumps in the Creek! I'm positive that the friendly folks here will give her a warm welcome and be just as willing to answer her questions and share in her joys of success as much as any other.

Doug Jones
10-18-2003, 10:11 AM
I figure if the wood don't care who's cutting or turning it, than neither do I. A question is a question regardless of who is asking.

I kind of know how she feels, I was hesitant to joining. I thought I'd get less response from people here because I'm balding, over weight, short, and one arm is longer than the other. Just funnin,
I recommend anyone and everyone to jump in the "Creek" its helped me a lot with my inquiries.

Ken Salisbury
10-18-2003, 10:11 AM
My personal opinion is that I would be more likely to respond than not. I really like to see women who show an interest in woodworking. Women have a lot to add and at times they have a much different perspective than the hard headed, opinionated male woodworkers :D.

As most of you know I have taught turning techiques to quite a few ladies and not to make anyone here mad, they make better students than the guys and learn quicker.

I whole heartedly invite the opposite gender to participate here

Dave Hammelef
10-18-2003, 10:55 AM
If they are concerned they can put down their "real" name as Pat, Jamie, Chris ect. Heck we have all heard of the boy named Sue.

Bob Reilly
10-18-2003, 10:57 AM
I personally look at it as someone needing help with a woodworking question,and gender has nothing to do with it,after all we're all woodworkers or at least trying to be.

Jim Becker
10-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Personally, I would never differentiate in my responses. That being said, I know a number of women who are woodworkers. Some are comfortable posting in forums under their real names and others feel more comfortable with an assumed name. I respect that. It's more important to me that these folks are actively enjoying this wonderful activity.

This does make for difficulty with regards to SMC's policy of real names (which frankly is a good policy), but as suggested in this thread, there are ways to creatively deal with that. I have little doubt that we have male participants that don't use their "real" names from time to time. My suggestion to the woman who contacted you would be to use her last name and do something with her first name or initials to flesh that out if it will make her more comfortable participating. But she could also encourage other women to join the forum by just being herself...if it seems like an "all male" place, that can be off-putting to some and discourage other women from coming aboard..

David Arcoleo
10-18-2003, 11:33 AM
I have received an inquiry from a person interested in becoming a member of SMC. This person is a female and is concerned the replies to her posts and questions would not generate as many responses if she were to use a real first name (which would identify her gender) as required by the Terms of Service.

I think that if anything females have the opposite issue. I have posted usenet questions under my wife's account accidently and I end up getting three times as many responses. Furthermore, the responses are usually more thorough, and are more likely to give code examples (most of the questions were programming).

What I am really interested is in having female members respond to posts. My wife always take a different approach to something than I do, especially when said thing is potentially dangerous (I'm more wreckless and consequently have been injured far more).

Another common thing I see on ww boards is men making things for their wives. This is by far the #1 motivation to get a project done. I think if we had more female woodworkers posting projects, I for one would be able to get ideas that would suit my wife better. I usually have to go through at least ten or so sketches before my wife likes something.

Speaking of being a better student, my wife listens to people more than I do. To my dismay, I discovered she was paying attention to what an artist friend of mine was saying when he discussed cheaper ways to get things done than to buy a festool saw and some other gadgets. When I tried to justify them, my wife quoted my friend who I couldn't dispute because I always quote him when it's to my advantage. (She's also more careful w/ $$).

I think it's important that females are represented here and that they identify themselves as such. Knowing something about a person oftentimes explains some of their reasoning. People talk about making some task lighter (but more time consuming) and then their motives become obvious when they mention they have recently had a injury, or have artritis, or something like that. My wife is taller than I am and likes things to be tall (I suspect so she can laugh when I have to tip-toe to reach something) but not heavy because she's not as strong.

-Dave

David Blangger
10-18-2003, 11:39 AM
From personal experiences in woodworking from shop class to customer asked questions; women will ask questions that everyone listening will tune in for the answer.

Is this because women think different, visualise different, or asking questions that men think they should know so don't ask? I don't know the answer.

I do know that I have learned from listening to the answers to questions the ladies have asked.

Lloyd Robins
10-18-2003, 11:56 AM
A woodworker is a woodworker. I don't see why there would be less interest in their projects or in helping with questions. They should jump in and try the water at the "creek."

Tom Sweeney
10-18-2003, 12:31 PM
but if anything I think I would be more likely to respond. Diane posted about her bandsaw motor problem & at last count there were 8 replies - which is probably above avg. I replied, even though I'm not an expert in motors (though I've smoked enough myself to almost qualify), because I really wanted to help her out. I don't think it would matter to anyone that I've come to know on SMC. I personally always read posts by Diane & Barbara & think we would benefit from having a larger presence of woman ww'ers. Heck the ones I know on the forums are all better at it & know more about it than I do.

On another point - & I'm trying to not be political - rules are rules. Since it's apparant from the replies so far that it won't matter I don't think we should make exceptions. I mean after all you guys all answer my dumb questions even though I'm different than all of you - I'm good looking :D ;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-18-2003, 12:38 PM
I pretty much agree with the others Ken. I respond to post's if I feel I have something to offer, or one of them tickles my fancy. I would think that not responding to a plea for an opinion, suggestion or assistance because of the Poster's Gender would be kinda shallow.................and I just don't feel we have that type of audience here. All Woodworkers are welcome here as far as I am concerned, and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Please invite her to join the gang...........after she is here for a while, I am sure she will be glad she did! :)

Barbara Gill
10-18-2003, 2:16 PM
I probably shouldn't even say this but this whole gender thing gets to be a bit much. I have been participating on internet forums and chats about woodworking for at least 5 years and to the best of my knowledge I have been neither ignored nor discriminated against. With the exception of the IRC Woodworking chat I have always used my own name. I began the IRC chat with the handle Lagrange because I thought everybody used a different name. It was always a hoot when I mentioned my husband because most thought I was a guy, which didn't bother me at all.
Because of all of the information archived on different sites it is to everyone's advantage to do a little research before asking some questions. If the truth be known I have found that beginners ask the same questions regardless of gender.

Roger Fitzsimonds
10-18-2003, 3:04 PM
I dont think gender should matter. Like was said before a question is a question. I like to see different perspectives and methods. I welcome any all this is a real good place. I have seen some amazing thing created by women, as well as men, bring them on.

My dos centavos :)

Roger

Steve Roxberg
10-18-2003, 3:09 PM
Seeing how I was raised by my mother and three sisters, and now have a wife (who mothers me) and three daughters. I would consider myself on expert on answering women's questions.

Once exception, she can't ask if this dress makes her look big?

Ken Garlock
10-18-2003, 3:45 PM
I have never seen a woman talked down to, or in anyother way made to feel uncomfortable on this forum, WC, or the Badger Pond. Every question is answered with the best knowledge of the responder.

Posting counts is not a measure of answer effectiveness. What anyone of us wants is the best/correct answer. Maybe one or two answers to a post is all that is required. Sometimes, it may take a dozen response to get a good clear answer that the original poster feels good about. And heck, look at "which xxxx is the best tool to buy" may just bring about two or three pages of answers.

Personally, I would like to see few posts to my questions; the corrrect answer and an "amen" or two. :)

So, tell the young lady to jump in. Everybody gets the same treatment, which is darn good, IMO.

Bev Polmanteer
10-18-2003, 3:47 PM
:) I belong to several woodworking forums and have never felt that being a woman was detrimental to my getting the answers I needed or that my comments were looked upon differently than any of the other members. Hey Lady, jump right in here! There are lots of us :D
There is also a website called http://www.womeninwoodworking.com that has a forum you might like to try but fair warning, there are men on there also and they are very helpful!

Dennis McDonaugh
10-18-2003, 4:19 PM
Really wouldn't matter to me. I'd look at it if the subject intersted me and respond if I had something to add.

Diane Maluso
10-18-2003, 4:40 PM
Ken, let her know that this woman has no problems getting plenty of help here at the Creek. This is a comfortable place for woodworkers of all stripes. Not only do I get great advice, but the ideas I have for others are received well. There aren't too many stupid jokes and statements about women (none that I can think of) either. There are forums that are pretty uncomfortable for many women. And at least one of those forums are for woodworkers. This isn't one of them.

You might consider pointing her to the Women in Woodworking Forum on the Rockler site, too. Not as much traffic but a good forum.

Diane

John Wadsworth
10-18-2003, 5:39 PM
First--this is a pretty friendly place, and the folks posting to it tend to be quite helpful

Second--My guess is that the most helpful members are exactly the ones most likely to reply, regardless of gender. Any misanthropes (or misogynists) are probably lurkers anyway!

Come on in, the water's fine!

Terre Hooks
10-18-2003, 6:49 PM
Most of the times, I have seen women get more responses than normal, on woodworking forums.

Tell her no need to be afraid.

David Rose
10-18-2003, 7:23 PM
Dave,

I agree 100%! I would be slightly quicker to answer a woman's question. Women and men *are* different. I believe that that is not an accident. Normally we complement each other. This is a good place for that different approach to surface, IMHO.

Ken, tell your friend that we would appreciate her questions and comments.

David, who perks up at a woman's question or response

I think that if anything females have the opposite issue. I have posted usenet questions under my wife's account accidently and I end up getting three times as many responses. Furthermore, the responses are usually more thorough, and are more likely to give code examples (most of the questions were programming).

What I am really interested is in having female members respond to posts. My wife always take a different approach to something than I do, especially when said thing is potentially dangerous (I'm more wreckless and consequently have been injured far more).

Another common thing I see on ww boards is men making things for their wives. This is by far the #1 motivation to get a project done. I think if we had more female woodworkers posting projects, I for one would be able to get ideas that would suit my wife better. I usually have to go through at least ten or so sketches before my wife likes something.

Speaking of being a better student, my wife listens to people more than I do. To my dismay, I discovered she was paying attention to what an artist friend of mine was saying when he discussed cheaper ways to get things done than to buy a festool saw and some other gadgets. When I tried to justify them, my wife quoted my friend who I couldn't dispute because I always quote him when it's to my advantage. (She's also more careful w/ $$).

I think it's important that females are represented here and that they identify themselves as such. Knowing something about a person oftentimes explains some of their reasoning. People talk about making some task lighter (but more time consuming) and then their motives become obvious when they mention they have recently had a injury, or have artritis, or something like that. My wife is taller than I am and likes things to be tall (I suspect so she can laugh when I have to tip-toe to reach something) but not heavy because she's not as strong.

-Dave

Paul Kunkel
10-18-2003, 10:02 PM
My wife works with me in the shop as an equal and is helpful in analyzing problems that escape me. A person who has a woodworking question or comment is welcome regardless of gender. I have a neighbor, who happens to be a woman, is a contractor of custom homes. She is incredably smart in the conception of the plan and the carry through and has been most succesful at her proffesion. She also happens to be easier to work with in the shop than most of the men I've had to work with. I only usually respond to a post if I feel I have something worthwhile to say and if I'm here in a timely manner. Tell her To read these posts and she'll decide that this is a good place. :D

Joe Pack
10-18-2003, 11:12 PM
...but that doesn't mean that I care whether I am getting tips from a man or a woman. If I can answer a gal's question, I will. If I can answer a guy's question, I will. If I can't, I might try anyhow! :D

I love the fact that some of the better tips and responses have come from guys and gals alike. And I wish I could do the quality of work that I see from the gals on my favorite ww boards!

Martin Shupe
10-18-2003, 11:57 PM
I voted no difference. Like Ted said at the beginning of the thread, I look at the topic, decide if I want to add something useful, then try to address the answer to the poster's name to be friendly.

I would note that when I met Jim Becker and a few others at the Dallas dinner meeting, there was a woman present who identified herself as a newbie woodworker. I don't remember her name (sorry) but I immediately took a napkin and wrote the Sawmill Creek web address down for her, and said she should check us out, as we are both friendly and helpful to beginners. At the time I gave no thought whatsoever to her gender, but I was thinking that we could be a great resource to her as she learned woodworking. I believe I even told her she could lurk for a while until she was comfortable, but that there were no dumb questions here, and everyone was very kind.

I said that because I truly believe it.

Byron Trantham
10-19-2003, 9:34 AM
Gender Smender, anyone brave enough to stand behind a table saw with a blade turning up 3000+ rpm and push wood through it has my vote - and support! Hey Sally (if that's your name), welcome aboard!

Dave Arbuckle
10-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Voted "would not differentiate". If there were a choice for "probably would not notice", that would have been my vote instead. Until I get to "know" a poster, I usually don't notice their name on the list of threads, because it's the titles of the threads that I read.

So, at least in my case posting with a feminine name is not a problem, but posting vague titles like "help" or "what do I do?" (both of which I see somewhat regularly on various forums) is a problem.

Dave
(sorry, that was almost a mini-rant ;))

Von Bickley
10-19-2003, 11:17 PM
Ken,

Tell her to jump in the Creek. The waters fine.... She will be with friends in this woodworking community.

Philip Duffy
10-20-2003, 5:26 AM
Ken, Your survey results, and the posted comments of members indicates to me that the question need not have been asked, or answered. Phil

Rob Russell
10-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Male or female poster - wouldn't make a difference to me.

If someone's posting because they need help, give them a hand.
If someone's posting because they have experience to share, listen up.

Where does gender play into that?

Rob

Don Farr
10-20-2003, 11:04 AM
Everyone on this forum is great, both male and female. My wife reads this forum and has answered for me a time or two. She is not a woodworker YET. Although she sure does seem to be showing a lot of interest. It seems everytime I look up she is joining me in the shop.

A NOTE TO ALL HERE @ SMC. I visit the creek almost everyday, but so many times I do not have time to respond to a post or compliment a project. Everyone here is just great and really talented and helpful. I have a picture folder full of many of the pictures of beautiful work that have been posted. A blanket THANKS TO ALL for the help and inspiration.
Also thanks to all the SMC staff for your hard work.

Lee Schierer
10-20-2003, 11:26 AM
I will respond to posts when I feel I have something to offer. Whether the originator was male or female does not enter in to my decision to respond or not.

All questions deserve fair answers.

Teresa Jones
10-20-2003, 1:19 PM
Base on my personal experience at MANY of the woodworking forums, Saw Mill Creek is my favorite because all my questions are answered with respect. Civility reigns here in many regards. Much more so than other forums.

All forums have a few unnecessary posting from time to time, but SMC is generally a most friendly atmosphere.

I am the newbie that Martin refered to in his post. I had a great time with the 'guys' and look forward to meeting more of you!

TJ

Martin Shupe
10-20-2003, 3:59 PM
"I am the newbie that Martin refered to in his post. I had a great time with the 'guys' and look forward to meeting more of you!"

Sorry I couldn't remember your name, Teresa, but I will now!

You might check out Steve Jenkin's get together this coming weekend. Unfortunately, I have to work. :(

Sophie, who I think may have created the woodworking BBQ craze, is flying in from Washington. I sure would like to be there.

Phil Phelps
10-20-2003, 4:47 PM
.....like it or not, you're gonna' get treated differently. And, it will be much better treatment than the guys. Enjoy it and have fun.

Aaron Koehl
10-21-2003, 9:38 AM
I have come to very much appreciate a woman's perspective on things--
especially when it comes to design and the like.
I think the more females we have to keep some of these guys in line,
the better!

As far as more/less likelihood of responding to a post-- I don't think we've
had that problem here with anyone, and it's always refreshing to know that
woodworking is not a completely male dominated sport. :)

_Aaron_

Jim Baker
10-21-2003, 6:33 PM
In case you don't have enough, yet, you can add my name to the list of people who would respond the same no matter the gender of the person making the post.

Bill Grumbine
10-21-2003, 6:57 PM
I've got to jump in here. I am the father of three daughters, so add in SWMBO, and it is a woman's world around here. :D I think women in woodworking is great, but I can see where many women might be intimidated trying to come into a "man's world". The fact of the matter is, woodworking isn't a man's world any more (if it ever was).

I have taught many women the mysteries of the lathe, from children to grandmothers. Women do very well at woodworking. I voted in the "I would not differentiate" category. There is no reason to see women as different than men in this particular endeavor. While I am glad to see more women in the field, I don't think they rate anything special - that is to say, I would encourage a man as much as a woman in the pursuit of the craft.

Bill

Jeff Rich
10-22-2003, 8:16 AM
When you live with a female woodworker, especially one that places higher than you in a juried gallery.....you most certainly would treat her as equal. I rarely answer posts because most people beat me to it, however, there are a few things which by experience I can share.
I have to agree with everyone that said a woodworker is a woodworker.

Jim Stastny
10-22-2003, 12:40 PM
When reading or responding to another I do not notice gender nor anything else about the person.

John Piwaron
10-23-2003, 9:05 AM
Gender of the poster makes no difference to me. If I can, I'll offer advise or conversation. A problems a problem. Advice is advice, take it or leave it. Sex doesn't enter the picture for any of that.

She should register and get on with it.