PDA

View Full Version : Toy Chest

Mike Hill
10-08-2006, 11:32 AM
My daughter has asked me to build a toy box for her twin boys. I have looked on-line and tried searching the forums here, but have not found what I am looking for. Basically I would like to build a toy chest out of good wood and veneer plywood. One of her requests was to have something that will hold the lid up and keep it from slamming on the kids. I was thinking some type of pneumatic device.

Is anyone familiar with a posting here on SMC or somewhere else that I might be able to gain information from?

Mike

Brent Harral
10-08-2006, 12:09 PM
I have used these lid supports several times and they work GREAT.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1040

Wes Bischel
10-08-2006, 2:22 PM
Mike,
I used the same closer as Brent - they work well and are inexpensive (some of the borgs have them). Not too pretty, but we haven't had any pinched fingers either!
On another note, I repaired my wifes toy chest for our son. Over the years, the hinges had been torn out and repaired multiple times. To solve the problem, I installed a piano hinge - no issues since.

Good luck on the project!

Wes

Dell Littlefield
10-08-2006, 8:34 PM
Several years ago, I made a couple for twin nieces. I made a bench with two boxes on casters under it. That way each had a box, they could not get hurt with a lid and the bench could be used for either larger items or sat on. It was worked great for them.

Larry Norton
10-08-2006, 8:59 PM
Brent has it right. You actually have to push the lid down. Depending on the size and weight of the top, you may need one on each side. They're a little tricky to find the exact place to mount them on the top and back, I have even made a sample box so I could get them in the right spot and not have screw holes to fill if I didn't.

There are actually better looking ones available, but they cost a lot more.

Mike Hill
10-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks to all for the replies. The devices recommended look like they would be excellent for this project. I'll post a picture when it is completed.
Mike