PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with Gander Mtn

Ken Salisbury
10-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Gander Mtn is opening a store in Hunstville on October 28th. It is going to be quite a large store where a previous Sam's Club was located. Being addicted to outdoor sports I am always interested in a new place to shop.

Any experience with this store? They have a website which has little or no information on products or prices.

I understand this is a "yankee operation" but I will patronize them anyway, if the price is right :) .

Martin Shupe
10-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Ken,

I like them, but not as much as I like Cabela's.

Cabela's seems to have stuff that is a little higher quality, and you have more selection at Cabela's as well.

Bass Pro has more variety as well. It seems that Gander Mountain stores are usually smaller than the "big box" hunting stores.

Still, I'd rather have a GM than no store at all.

Check them out, I'll bet you will find something you "need".

Doug Shepard
10-08-2006, 10:54 AM
I've bought a few things there. Not a great store, but a good store. My dad goes there quite often and recently mentioned they didn't give him any problem on returniing something he'd bought 6 mos earlier on a sale but hadn't used yet.

Frank Fusco
10-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Ditto Martin and Doug. I believe Gander Mtn. is higher priced for comparable items. But, if they are local to you, it is still a good place to shop. Even though I have a (meaning THE ORIGINAL AND BIGGEST) Bass Pro within almost hollerin' distance, I often find myself ordering from Cabela's or Sportsman's Guide.

John Shuk
10-08-2006, 1:04 PM
Fun place to visit. Ours is in a former Wal-mart. Maybe some connection? They have a WHOLE lotta stuff.

Jack Dickey
10-08-2006, 4:08 PM
Huntsville and Gander Mountain ?? Good , but I like Cabelas better as well ..
They done broke ground on our Bass Pro Shop ..

larry merlau
10-10-2006, 11:17 AM
well ken, its closer to me than the other big boys and i have a large collection of that type of gear:) price wize it can be higher but i my opinion they have name brands more than the c store in some instances. i think the b and the c store both use there names for alot of gear. and its not nessacaryly better quality. i have got supplies from both and shop around but to get a hands on feel for something they are good if they have it. sometime there help is nothing more than school kids that you or i could do better and explaining the pros or cons on a particular product. many times i will be listening in on conversation and they donthave clue on what the are saying if the customer is nice and will listen i wil offer my advice based on my experience's. more than once i have been hauled away by the better half for spending to much time sellin when i went in for just 1 item:) go look and compare. not all of us yankees are bad and some of us are just in yankee clothing and still southern in heart:)

Frank Fusco
10-10-2006, 12:18 PM
well ken, its closer to me than the other big boys and i have a large collection of that type of gear:) price wize it can be higher but i my opinion they have name brands more than the c store in some instances. i think the b and the c store both use there names for alot of gear. and its not nessacaryly better quality. i have got supplies from both and shop around but to get a hands on feel for something they are good if they have it. sometime there help is nothing more than school kids that you or i could do better and explaining the pros or cons on a particular product. many times i will be listening in on conversation and they donthave clue on what the are saying if the customer is nice and will listen i wil offer my advice based on my experience's. more than once i have been hauled away by the better half for spending to much time sellin when i went in for just 1 item:) go look and compare. not all of us yankees are bad and some of us are just in yankee clothing and still southern in heart:)

I'm with you on clerks not knowing what they are talking about. I'm a gun/shooting enthusiast and often hear so much 'garbage' being tossed around by customers and clerks at gun counters it scares me :eek: to think that these same people might be in the woods during hunting season near where I might be. :mad:

Lee Schierer
10-10-2006, 1:10 PM
We have a Gander Mountain and a Dick's here locally. Gander Mountain is more outdoor sports (hunting, fishing etc) than Dicks. I agree with the others that Gander Mtn is similar to Bass Pro and Cabelas on a smaller scale. Quality of things I have purchased seems to be as good as anywhere. They sell name brand more than house brand like Cabelas. I think you find good and bad clerks in any store you shop.

Jack Dickey
10-10-2006, 1:29 PM
OK I'm dating myself here a bit , but I recall when Gander and Cabela's were on a par with each other ( late 60's early 70's ) , and I dont know if Gander lost ground to Cabela's or if Cabela's timed the market right or what , but Cabela's more or less took off and left Gander far behind .. Same with Bass Pro , think they both just marketed themselves better and really took off ..

Nancy Laird
10-10-2006, 2:00 PM
I've been to all three and I prefer Bass Pro because they seem to carry more items that might interest the female 51% of the population. I've found Gander Mountain to be over-priced and the sales people there don't seem to know a lot about what they are supposed to be selling, much unlike BP and Cabela's. I have a tee-shirt from Gander Mountain that someone else bought for me--but I wouldn't have bought it--it was $21.00! :eek:

Steven Wilson
10-10-2006, 2:22 PM
I have a few Gander Mtn's fairly close by as well as two Cabela's about an hour away. I find that Gander Mtn tends to have more clothing on sale than Cabela's, their Guide Series rain gear is quite good and much less expensive than Cabela's (they hit a good price/quality point between two of the rain gear lines at Cabela's). Their branded fishing gear is quite good and often on sale (good if you want a decent rig for cheap). Regular name brand fishing gear is sold at a similar discount to Cabela's or at list price (fishing rods/reels). I do find that Cabela's has a larger selection of stuff and I do drive their once a month but if I need something quickly Gander Mtn is close to me a reasonably good.