PDA

View Full Version : HF 2HP Dust Collector and 5" hose?

David Stonner
10-08-2006, 9:36 AM
Just picked up a "2HP" Harbor Freight DC yesterday. Ordering the Wynn filter on Monday and hope for it to arrive by the end of the week. Read through a lot of archived posts on the topic of this DC with the Wynn filter mod, and some posters said the increased airflow with the filter might burn out the motor. I'm wondering what removing the wye at the blower and hooking up a 5" hose that is ten feet long would do. Pentz's site says 6" is ideal, but I figure that 5" is better than the 4" with the wye. I plan on hooking up one machine at a time to the DC, moving it around the shop to each machine as needed. To boil all this down, will the Wynn filter (with all its increased airflow over the crappy canvas bags that came with the DC) and a 5-inch by 10-foot hose (instead of a 4-inch by 10-foot dryer vent hose) cause this motor to run too hard and burn out? I don't have an amp meter, and wouldn't know how to use one if I did. Have most other user of this setup gone this route to get the most airflow and air quantity at each machine? Should I leave the machine hose at 4-inches? Thanks,

Dave

Tom Grice
10-08-2006, 3:54 PM
I've been considering the same thing too - so will be interested to hear peoples opinions on 5" pipe as well. The challenge may be finding 5" fittings for tools - but maybe HVAC suppliers have that available.

I have the Wynn filter and have added a neutral vane to the HF DC. I roll the DC around to tools and have a 10' section of flex tube. It does pretty well, but it's amazing how much air the DC moves when I open both sides of the Y.

I have yet to figure out how to measure the amp draw, but haven't dedicated a lot of time to it either.

nic obie
10-09-2006, 3:59 PM
I used a HF DC with 5" ducting and it worked fine. I clipped off the restrictor on the blower inlet too.

Brad Townsend
10-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I used a HF DC with 5" ducting and it worked fine. I clipped off the restrictor on the blower inlet too. I've done the same. Been running it for two years now with no problem. Anyway, even if by some remote chance it did burn out, you're not out that much money. You can replace the whole unit for $150.:D

David Stonner
10-10-2006, 1:13 PM
Thanks, Nic and Brad. I just wanted to be sure...even if it lasted only a few years before burning out, it is just $150, like you said. Five-inch it is.
Thanks,
Dave

Alan Simpson
10-10-2006, 1:20 PM
I have seen people modify their blower housing and succesfully use a 6" main. I have no idea how long it lasted for... (although I never heard reports of the motor failing afterwards either)