PDA

View Full Version : Pierced Ficus

Mike Vickery
10-08-2006, 1:40 AM
I was playing with some ficus that my dad had cut down and saved a few pieces for me. Not crazy about the shape on the little bowl, I think it needs to be narrowed down towards the base quite a bit but was happy that I got some spalting in the log. Basically this was just to see how thin I could turn it before I chickened out. The wall thickness is under 1/10th of an inch.

Comments and critiques are welcome but I do not like it very much myself.

Curt Fuller
10-08-2006, 2:08 AM
Wow, that's really some different looking wood. I agree with you about the bottom shape, it might have looked a little better if it were more rounded. But the piercing looks so good it takes your eyes away from the shape of the bottom. Is that wood spalted or something or is that the way it comes from the tree?

Mark Rios
10-08-2006, 2:19 AM
I'm not a turner so I can't really give a critique but I do have a comment.....

HOLY KANGAROO CA CA...YOU TURNING FOLKS ARE AMAZING.

Gary DeWitt
10-08-2006, 2:45 AM
I dunno, between the piercing and that unusual grain, it looks kinda rustic. I like that look now and then.

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2006, 5:25 AM
Very nice Mike!!! I like the piercing work on the bowl and the wood is outstanding. :D

Keith Burns
10-08-2006, 7:49 AM
Way Cool Mike:) :) Nice job with the piercing:) :)

Richard Madison
10-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Mike,
Try more curvature from top to bottom and make the base diameter smaller, about 1/3 the diameter of the top. Straight or almost straight sides are more difficult to make look good than smooth curves. Cool piercing.

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Awesome Mike. That is a beauty. Between the piercing and the wood it looks mighty fine. Nice job.

Ernie Nyvall
10-09-2006, 12:56 AM
I really like the piercings on this Mike. Nice job.

Barry Stratton
10-09-2006, 3:53 AM
That is some nice looking wood and the piercings really compliment it.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-09-2006, 5:42 AM
Looks good Mike, and I'm sure glad that Ficus is a type of wood, I was afraid you'd stuck something into something that might have REALLY hurt :eek: ;) :rolleyes: :D:D:D:D:D

Love the look of the wood, and the piercing are really neat, but I have to agree with you, the bottom of the bowl could use a touch of refining.

All in all, a very nice piece of work!

Cheers!