PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Lathe

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Well just drove in from Denver. Went to Woodcraft today for a free turning demo. Most of it was pretty basic and only stayed for 45 minutes. I asked the guy if I could take a shot at the Rikon. He threw a blank on it and I turned a box. It is one sweet little lathe. Don Baer was right it will turn a full 12 1/4" and you can just get a business card between the blank and the bed. Anyway got it unloaded and am excited to get it on the bench tomorrow morning. Just opened the box to inspect it. I will take more pictures tomorrow. Just didn't want that FAA type Picture Policeman Tyler getting mad at me. :eek: :p :p

As some of you know I do have the Delta Midi. I decided since my nephew kept coming over and turning with me I would give it to him for Christmas. My sister his mom said he is just going to flip. I hope so cause he sure does enjoy it. I got him a load of pen blanks and 20 pen kits. I got him 10 Euro style and 10 slim line. This way he won't have to drive 60 miles to turn although I will miss his company.

Got it out of the box today and mounted on the bench. Runs smooth and the points of the drive center and tailstock center line up perfect. So now I need to get it dirty but after I get a couple of honey-do's done.

Corey Hallagan
10-08-2006, 1:33 AM
Congrats Bernie, I am sure you will enjoy your new lathe. I think that is very cool what you are doing with your Delta. He will love it!

corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-08-2006, 1:48 AM
I alway KNEW you were smart....................but THOUGHTFUL, TOO!

That's almost too much. NOT! I know you'll love the Rikon and your nephew will ALWAYS remember your generosity.

As we saw in the Navy............................"Well Done, Sir!"

Bruce

Gary DeWitt
10-08-2006, 2:50 AM
Good deal, Bernie. Perhaps you'll make him wait 'til Christmas, so you'll still see him from now until then.
Have fun with you new machine!

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2006, 5:24 AM
Bernie....you got more room in the shop for another lathe? Congrats my friend!!!! Nice lathe there. :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-08-2006, 5:43 AM
Way to go Bernie, you nephew is going to flip, and think of the leverage your sister is now going to have on him :D

Cheers!

Keith Burns
10-08-2006, 7:46 AM
Way to go Bernie !!! :) :) :) Very lucky Nephew to have such a generous Uncle !!! :) :) :)

CORY FETZER
10-08-2006, 8:13 AM
your nephew will probably wanna give you the uncle of the year award

wanna adopt me

i thought 1 hour drive one way to either harrisburg or downingntown was bad i guess im lucky i know if harrisburg dosent have lathe by monday off i go to downingntown thats why i wouldnt pay the guy upfront

i have little patience for waiting when its toy buying time

Paul Engle
10-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Bernie,
Far out. You are going to be the HERO to that young man for the rest of his life. :D This world needs more of that.

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks. Like I said he is a good kid. I gave him a set of golf clubs for Christmas when he was in 7th grade. He still loves and plays the game. I am pretty sure he is hooked on this turning thing. Just need to make sure that seed is planted good. Now to head for the shop to play.

Pete Jordan
10-08-2006, 4:56 PM
You know Bernie,

You might have to get rid of some of your old tools to upgrade. The boys gotta have tools!

Congrats! You are going to have a ball!

Andy Hoyt
10-08-2006, 5:01 PM
You know Bernie,

You might have to get rid of some of your old tools to upgrade. The boys gotta have tools!

Congrats! You are going to have a ball! You got that right, Pete. And since he's a Weishapl, he's gonna need a second lathe in a couple of weeks.

Hmmm. Hey, Bern! I wonder if that 2036 in Denver is still there?:D

Pete Jordan
10-08-2006, 5:05 PM
You got that right, Pete. And since he's a Weishapl, he's gonna need a second lathe in a couple of weeks.

Hmmm. Hey, Bern! I wonder if that 2036 in Denver is still there?:D

He could get a new mustart with overhead cam and glasspacks for the price of that 2036

Andy Hoyt
10-08-2006, 5:12 PM
He could get a new mustart with overhead cam and glasspacks for the price of that 2036 Ahh! But the 2036 comes with hot & cold running maids, power sunvisors, and some little fuzzy balls to hang off the tailstock.

The value is always in the accessories!:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2006, 7:55 PM
Ahh! But the 2036 comes with hot & cold running maids, power sunvisors, and some little fuzzy balls to hang off the tailstock.

The value is always in the accessories!:D

Andy I do have a oneway tailstock center. Does that count? :confused: Besides the SWMBO would say I couldn't keep the 2036 anyway with the hot and cold running maids.:mad:

Pete I gathered up 3 or 4 new tools yesterday.:p Told the SWMBO I had to give him some tools.

Pete Jordan
10-08-2006, 8:24 PM
Andy I do have a oneway tailstock center. Does that count? :confused: Besides the SWMBO would say I couldn't keep the 2036 anyway with the hot and cold running maids.:mad:

Pete I gathered up 3 or 4 new tools yesterday.:p Told the SWMBO I had to give him some tools.

You are always one step ahead of me.

Keith Christopher
10-08-2006, 8:35 PM
Bernie ! I love my rikon ! Only issue I have with it is the tailstock will vibrate loose. pay attention to that. Other than that I have turned some beefy stuff on this lathe and it works like a champ !

Jerry Ingraham
10-09-2006, 2:45 PM
Bernie,
I don't see listed, the thread size and pitch for the Rikon. Can you tell me? I'm debating between the Jet VS which comes with a Nova chuck and the Rikon. If the Oneway I have on my Griz lathe would fit, I would probably opt for the Rikon. I believe that my Griz is 1"x8 tpi.
Jerry

Lloyd Frisbee
10-09-2006, 2:57 PM
The Rikon is 1 x 8 also, same as the Jet. The Rikon has a 12 inch clearance. The Jet mini has 10 inch. The Rikon has a spindle lock with 12 postion indexing. The belt is easier to access for changing on the Rikon. I have the Rikon and my wife has the Jet VS. Both have pros and cons. Woodcraft has the Rikons on sale for $219 this month.

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2006, 4:09 PM
Bernie,
I don't see listed, the thread size and pitch for the Rikon. Can you tell me? I'm debating between the Jet VS which comes with a Nova chuck and the Rikon. If the Oneway I have on my Griz lathe would fit, I would probably opt for the Rikon. I believe that my Griz is 1"x8 tpi.
Jerry

Yes it is 1 X 8. So your chuck will fit it. Both the Jet VS and the Rikon have their advantages and disadvantages. One thing that sold me was the fact that I could change the belt without having to tear the lathe down to do it. No bearings to remove or anything. Also I don't mind changing the belts to change speed. It only takes a few seconds and with this one it is even easier to change speeds. Also liked the idea of a chip deflector over the motor. So should keep it a lot cooler. The other thing that sold me was the extra capacity. Don Baer turned a 12 1/4" platter his and that is 3" larger than my delta would do.