PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid makes sawdust . . . finally

glenn bradley
10-07-2006, 2:05 PM
My zip code saw is making sawdust. I had to exchange the whole saw (their idea, not mine) to correct a dished top. I had to exchange the extension wings due to bad bolt-hole placements. All in all after 30 days of trying parts and waiting on shipping time, the saw lives.

With the compensation from Sears and Orion to salvage my customer satisfaction level of zero about a week ago, the saw turned out to be VERY reasonably priced. Others may not have the patience for what I went through but, for a hobbyist with two other saws standing around, it wasn't too painful.

To help others who have chosen or are thinking about this saw, here's what I recommend checking on receipt of the saw:

- Check the table top for flatness. If there is a problem call Orion, not Sears. Orion will send you a new top, Sears swapped the whole saw.
- Check the wings for physical problems where the wing meets the table.
- Check the wings for proper hole alignment for the fence rails, mine were wrong due to a bad run.

Other than that and the time waiting on shipping, the saw's a beaut! Alignment of blade to miter gauge was off by a tenth out of the box. The cabinet mounted trunnions allowed me to correct this to within .001" in a matter of minutes. Quite an improvement over banging on the table mounted trunnions of my contractor saw only to have the alignment change as I tighten the bolts back up.

I plan to drill and use one of the 'spare' cast iron extensions in place of the Biesemeyer extension wing which is a joke. My TS extension-style router table will occupy the left hand side as that suits my shop and method of work. I have a rolling worktable that doubles as an out feed table so I didn't bother mounting the included mini out feed that comes with the saw.

Things I love:

- Biesemeyer fence.
- Once adjusted, top and wings are flat and level and solid.
- Power switch size, function and location.
- Trunnions raise, lower and swing very easily and smoothly and lock down tight.
- Motor behaves like much more than it's rated 1 3/4 HP.
- Dust collection is quite good.

Meeting the pic-police requirements:

scott spencer
10-07-2006, 2:43 PM
Glad to hear you stuck with it and get everything ironed out. Not sure how patient I'd have been after the first one, but it's nice that it worked out and you're happy. Be safe!

Phil Thien
10-07-2006, 9:04 PM
How dished was the top?

Corey Hallagan
10-07-2006, 9:27 PM
Congrats on the new saw Glenn, I am sure you will get many many years out of it!

corey

glenn bradley
10-07-2006, 9:36 PM
Over .02", Orion's tolerance is .01".

I should have mentioned in the original post that both Sears and Orion went out of their way to make me happy. All I had to do was be willing to work through it with them. Sears offered (meaning I didn't have to ask) to set a temporarily indefinite extension to the "30 day return, no questions asked" policy that they have.

Scott Vigder
10-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Nice pic! I've seen that DC setup before.....right in my own shop!

glenn bradley
10-08-2006, 1:00 PM
Thanks to all. Escpecially thanks to those zip code saw owners that gave me all the tips prior to the saws purchase and arrival. I'm playing with an idea to support the additional extension table, rails and over arm blade guard/DC. If it works out I'll post some pics.