PDA

View Full Version : Wood lathe ( home made)

Doug Keener
10-17-2003, 10:35 PM
I thought I would share some pictures of my home made wood lathe with the wood turning group. I built this thing about 30 years ago when I wanted to make some 8 foot spindles in one piece. It's a Rube Goldburg design that continues to develope as the need arrises.

It started with a wood lathe kit from Gilliom Mfg. Originally I bolted everything to a bench frame with no top. I added some modifications to make my life easier since I was and am still not an accomplished turner.

It features:
1) a motorized feed screw and carriage holding a 1.5 HP router.
2) a bed length of 6 feet.
3) a support ring and bearings for spindles up to 10 feet (not shown).
4) speed range from 30 rpm to just over 4000.
5) synchronized head rotation to carriage feed for making spiral cuts.

After retiring and moving I decided to put this thing back together using a wood base that more resembles a lathe frame. It was just in time since I am currently working on an order requiring some turned legs.

The pictures show an overall view, then one doing a rough sizing with a straight bit, then rough shaping with a round nose bit, then two finished legs. The tapper and rounding were done with conventional hand chisels. It's not a copy lathe,,,,, yet.

I can provide more details if anyone is interested. Thanks for looking, Doug Keener

Todd Burch
10-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Cool Doug. Looks like it does the job! Good work.

Todd

(I am not a turner)

Bill Ryall
10-18-2003, 10:21 AM
I'm glad you posted that. I am just beginning to build my own lathe, as I have never turned anything, and want to give it a shot before I sink $$$ into a "real" lathe. I will definately show this to LOML who thinks I am insane for even considering building one.

Your post & pics have definately provided some incentive to get it done.

Thanks!

Dennis McDonaugh
10-18-2003, 12:30 PM
That's outstanding Doug. Not only is that a neat contraption, you've obvously mastered its use.

Charles McKinley
10-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Hi Doug,

That is a great looking machine. The piece look good to. I hope the see more projects.

Jim Becker
10-20-2003, 4:44 PM
I'm glad you posted that. I am just beginning to build my own lathe, as I have never turned anything, and want to give it a shot before I sink $$$ into a "real" lathe. I will definately show this to LOML who thinks I am insane for even considering building one.

I meant to post to this earlier, but didn't have time to research something first. WOOD Magazine featured a shop-built lathe in the April 1987 issue (#16) with an update in the October 1988 issue (#25). I've turned on one of the originals from that design owned by magazine managing editor Marlen Kemmet and was very impressed with the tool. The best thing was that it could be built with commonly available materials. Obviously, it's not a big, bad OneWay, but it was a very functional and usable machine...easy to update, too, for more capacity or things like variable speed, etc. If you can locate those issues somewhere, either being sold or borrowable from someone who trusts you (they are both out of print), it could be a good start to this kind of project.

Alton Thompson
11-07-2007, 9:35 AM
Nice looking machine. Very impressive. I am deffinately interested in more details. I am trying to build my own lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
11-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Outstanding Doug. Looks like it does a nice job.

Jeff Bower
11-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Doug, my dad made a mini-lathe from ShopNotes plan (ShopNotes Vol13, Issue 73). My grandpa made my lathe from a Maytage clothing press and washing machine. Your's looks much bigger than ours:eek: 10ft spindles?...that's impressive. Do you have any close up pics of the headstock?

Skip Spaulding
11-07-2007, 8:24 PM
Just amazing what a person can do when they know how. Thanks for the pictures and information, very interesting. Great lathe.

Doug Keener
11-08-2007, 3:06 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments on the lathe. I appologize for not replying to the posts. I haven't had the time to read or post for quite a while. Swamped with work and have had some health issues. Nothing serious but they take time out of your day. I would be happy to provide more detail to anyone who wants it. Feel free to email me directly that way I won't miss your message.

Doug