PDA

View Full Version : Stubby at top of list now

Brian McInturff
10-07-2006, 11:16 AM
After doing a lot of research the Stubby has risen to the top of my list. I think it will suit my needs more than any of the other ones. My wife even likes the looks of it. I've sent an email to John Jordan with some questions and am waiting on his reply. I mainly went with John as opposed to Bill due to location. Antioch Tn. isn't all that far from Knoxville Tn. which is where all my family is. The additional costis going to be an issue but I was thinking of parting with some of my flat work items since they mainly collect dust anyway. Who needs 3 table saws and 2 shopsmiths and the list goes on and on. So look for a forsale posting in the near future. Oh, I think I will probably keep Loretta, the Oneway 1018 for pens and such and just because I like it. Now to decide between the 750 or 1000 model. Any insight into which one? Brian

Stephen Hibbs
10-07-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't know which model is which, but my turning mentor had a stubby and it is amazing. I can't get over how smooth and quiet that thing is, and you can really slow it down. To be honest, I don't have much experience with a lot of lathes, but that stubby kickes the :eek: out of my HF 12". I don't know which model he has, but either way I'd say its a good choice.

Gary DeWitt
10-07-2006, 2:00 PM
That Stubby would be at the top of my list too for turning bowls.
Go for it! Sounds like you have a lot more equipment than I did, I found it really worth it to clear out the shop and make room (space and bank account) for a new lathe. You'll certainly get more use out of it than the redundant machinery you have now.

Mark Wollschlager
10-07-2006, 4:34 PM
I think it would depend on the diameter of work you want to do.
The 750 will go up to 30" the 1000 40" the max bed length is the same on both. The 1000 does get you an extra 300lbs.
A big difference is that the 750 is more or less available, the 1000 is built to order in Australia and shipped to the US. You will have to wait for the 1000.
FWIW they all go through Bill, he builds the stands and does all the electronics.

I have used a 750 that our turning club owns, I have an S500 ( not imported anymore). I love both. I would love the 750 for my own, but the 500 is all I need at this time. A solid lathe with some unique features. And its got a small footprint.

The Robust lathe has some nice features too, it takes up more room.
They are coming up with some comparable features. The availability of dual banjos is one. The sliding headstock and stainless ways are nice too.
I got my Stubby from a guy who bought a Robust.

Mark.

Brian McInturff
10-07-2006, 5:30 PM
I posted over on the Stubby Yahoo group and Bill emailed me saying he is no longer ordering the 1000. Several had emailed me saying that I probably would have a hard time finding blanks large enough to warrant the 1000 especially here on the South Carolina coast(good point). The one thing I liked about the 1000 was the stand though but I think I can work through that. The foot print and me being left handed has a lot to do with picking the Stubby. Just seems like a natural for a lefty. My stance is a little unorthodox to the usual right handed person. Do you have pics of the 500 Mark?

Brian

John Morand
10-07-2006, 5:31 PM
I spent the last four months looking at all of the big lathes including the Stubby, Pinnacle, General etc. I turn large bowls and do deep hollowing of open pieces.

I have been turning on a General 260, A record bowl lathe and a smaller Canadian Tire lathe for the past 6 years. All of these lathes had 1hp or less and even with the huge swing and reversing ability on the Record and 500lbs of sand my lathe had a tendancy to walk on occassion and I didn't want to wrench the head off if I bolted my lathe to the floor.

Last week I ordered a Oneway 2036 with 3hp and if I can retrofit my coring system I will probably change that order to the 2436. 850 lbs plus the ho;;owing or bowl system which takes it to 900 lbs isn't the 1200 lbs of the pinacle but I don't like the bed of the pinnacle which would require changes to my Kelron system and my Oneway coring system. I have the space and I am going to keep the General for vacum chucking. I upgraded it last year to a 20 inch swing and I have room in the shop snd don't need the $2800 I was offered for it so it will be a nice back up lathe.
John

Jim Becker
10-07-2006, 8:35 PM
As a Stubby owner, I can appreciate your excitement. And mine came from John as he was "the" source prior to Bill setting up the new arrangement. John and Vicky will take very good care of you and the fact that you can pick up with reasonable travel will save you a few hundred bucks.

Terry Quiram
10-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Brian

Like Jim I also own a 750. After 4 years I still smile when I step up to make the first cut. You won't be sorry or disappointed.

Terry