PDA

View Full Version : Car Furniture

Bob Nieman
10-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I have had Sirius radio for several years, but I never mounted the radio because the dashboard is so far from the power source that the cord interferes with the console controls. I made do by mounting the radio on a board that I wedged into the ashtray, but a rambunctious dog put an end to that option.

I decided to build something to fix the situation. While I was at it, I added some drawers and I decided to use this as an opportunity to try some new things (I am still new to woodworking). First time I used cherry and poplar (I prefer the former, WOW--where can I get more?), first time I tried resawing and first time I tried box joints (will remember next time to set the blade height to the thickness of the boards)
It ended up looking pretty nice, too nice to go in the car, really. I had thought about painting the plywood black, which would have been a good contrast with the cherry, but I went with BLO/poly. I stained the inside drawers just because I had some extra stain. I initially used shellac inside the drawers but despite the fact it seemed to dry on my sample stick, it didn't on the drawers, so I got to remove it.

The drawers stick, but I will wax the appropriate parts after giving the poly some more time to cure (any idea how long?). They are held in place with some rare earth magnets I removed from an old hard drive. The whole thing wedges in under the console pretty snugly, so there is no threat of falling over in a turn.
Mrs. Nieman would probably prefer you don't pay any attention to how dirty the car is :D

Dan Oliphant
10-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Looks good Bob, nice project. Let the poly cure for no less than a week, two is not unreasonable.

John Renzetti
10-07-2006, 12:42 PM
hi Bob, That really looks great. Nice idea.
take care,
John