PDA

View Full Version : Who can SHARPEN *AND* SET band saw blades?

Todd Burch
10-17-2003, 7:42 PM
Diane's thread got me to thinking about the stack of a dozen or so band saw blades I have that need sharpening and setting. I don't know anyone local that will set teeth. There are a couple that can provide some degree of sharpening, but that's not enough.

Ideas? Thanks, Todd.

Jim Becker
10-17-2003, 8:26 PM
To the best of my knowledge, bandsaw blades are pretty much considered disposables. The labor cost involved to "sharpen and set" them would probably be far in excess of the cost of new blades, especially if you buy Timberwolf direct from Suffolk (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/) . I think the only bandsaw blade I'd consider for sharpening would be one of the carbide tipped Lennox blades...if I ever decided to buy one when I eventually get a larger saw.

David Rose
10-18-2003, 7:41 PM
Jim, I suspect the band will fatigue on the Lenox before the teeth need attention. And if my experience means anything, that will take a while. And that is running it on a 14" Delta for about 3 years as a primary saw.

David

Jim Becker
10-18-2003, 8:33 PM
Jim, I suspect the band will fatigue on the Lenox before the teeth need attention.

Yes, I feel you are correct about that, especially for a hobbiest woodworker, even a serious and active one! Those carbide teeth will go for a good long time. I figure I'll try one of those when I eventually upgrade from my 14" saw to something a bit larger...that's not in the near future, however. In the mean time, the Timberwolfs do a great job for what I need done.

David Peebles
10-18-2003, 9:01 PM
Hello Todd,

I remembered a thread over on Rec.Crafts.Woodturning about sharpening bandsaw blades.

I did a Google on it and came up with this..

Direct Link removed by moderator.

see SMC Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php)

"Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek."

It is by Steven Russell. He talks about how he does his blades.

There are also a couple of other ideas that I would not try if my life depended on it : ) They may work, but it seems risky to me.

Dave

Phil Phelps
10-19-2003, 6:31 PM
..but it's best to toss 'em. I've thrown away thousands. Just ain't worth the labor.

David Peebles
10-19-2003, 9:10 PM
"Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek."

Hello Ken,

Isn't that what I did? Todd asked about sharpening bandsaw blades, and I provided a link that explained how to do so.

I guess I don't understand the problem. Isn't this the whole idea about a forum, to share information?

Best wishes,
Dave

Steven Wilson
10-20-2003, 1:07 AM
Since you have a number of blades to practice on why don't you try sharpening and setting them yourself?

Todd Burch
10-20-2003, 9:49 AM
Steve, before the above link was policed out, I went to it and gathered a few tips for sharpening them myself, which I may just try.

Note to Moderators: While I was there, believe it or not, I did not decide to change my primary source for woodworking support and help to that particular forum (and ditch Saw Mill Creek) because there was some different information out there. I consider it a disservice to censor out references to links that are in direct support and assistance to members. I have SEVERAL times provided direct links to articles in woodweb in direct support of discussion on SMC. Perhaps the following term of service:

"Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek."...

needs to be clarified. In this case, and the several cases that I have done posted, the two conditions of this term of service are opposed. Maybe I (and others) don't really understand the protocol here. Please advise.

Todd.

Ken Salisbury
10-20-2003, 10:00 AM
"Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek."...

needs to be clarified. In this case, and the several cases that I have done posted, the two conditions of this term of service are opposed. Maybe I (and others) don't really understand the protocol here. Please advise.

Todd.

Read this post by Keith Outten - explains the thing very well - also see Aaron's response to this thread

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?postid=32376#post32376

nic obie
10-20-2003, 2:25 PM
Read this post by Keith Outten - explains the thing very well - also see Aaron's response to this thread

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?postid=32376#post32376

This is all well and good. But, I also wanted to learn about sharpening blades.

Is it permissible to copy and paste from another web site? If so, what is the difference from providing a link? A link uses up less of your server and is lots quicker to d/l the thread for people with dial-up ISPs.

After all, we don't have to click on the link if we don't want to. Shouldn't we be allowed to make our own decisions?

Just a thought. I'm not trying to make waves.

:cool:

Ken Salisbury
10-20-2003, 8:01 PM
This is all well and good. But, I also wanted to learn about sharpening blades.

Is it permissible to copy and paste from another web site? If so, what is the difference from providing a link? A link uses up less of your server and is lots quicker to d/l the thread for people with dial-up ISPs.

After all, we don't have to click on the link if we don't want to. Shouldn't we be allowed to make our own decisions?

Just a thought. I'm not trying to make waves.

:cool:

Nic -- depends on what information you want to copy and paste. To broad of a question to answer. If the link is to another public forum - it is not allowed. You can always respond by telling folks to do a google search for "xyz sharpening forum" as an example. The SMC Terms of Service are explicit in describing what links are and are not permitted. I suggest you read them. The answer is there.

nic obie
10-20-2003, 8:28 PM
Ken,

I read them before I replied to this thread.

I was asking a question... Why?

:p

Ken Salisbury
10-20-2003, 9:19 PM
Ken,

I read them before I replied to this thread.

I was asking a question... Why?

:p

Nic - I responded to this post via Private Message as to why?