PDA

View Full Version : Walnut turns white

Tom-W Scott
10-06-2006, 11:10 PM
I raised some walnut panels which I stained with Minwax.....so far so good.
Thne I used Minwax clear poly over the stain.
The cross grain machined surfaces turned white. All other surfaces are OK.
Any ideas what happened??

Steve Schoene
10-08-2006, 1:58 AM
I've never seen this sort of thing, though I do wonder what you mean exactly by cross grain machined surfaces. All finish sanding must be done with the grain to avoid visible scratches.

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2006, 5:17 AM
Don't know about the poly, but I do know that if you finish with lacquer and it's really humid in the shop, it will "blush" on ya and give you a whittish haze to the finish.

Tom-W Scott
10-08-2006, 4:03 PM
Dennis & Steve
Thanks for the replies.
By cross-grain, I mean the ends of the panels where the router bit cut across the grain when raising the panels.
I should add that this is "reclaimed" walnut from an old cabinet. I used Strip-Eze to remove the old finish ....it may have been varnish...high gloss.
Then I sanded sit thoroughly before machining.
Is it possible that some of the previous finish may have penetrated more deeply than the stripper reached???

Jim King
10-08-2006, 4:59 PM
Don't know about the poly, but I do know that if you finish with lacquer and it's really humid in the shop, it will "blush" on ya and give you a whittish haze to the finish.

I think Dennis hit it perfectly, the hotter and dryer the better when applying finishes and only on dry wood.

Harold Piper
10-17-2006, 1:05 AM
Tom

If you used lacqure for the finish try spraying the "white area" with lacqure thiner, this should take the blush out.

Jeffrey Schronce
10-18-2006, 3:10 AM
OP states he used Minwax Poly rather than lacquer.

I had a problem once with a chalky white result with Minwax Poly. I noted that some of the solids in the poly had settled to the bottom of the can and created a layer of white goop. I used mineral spirits to remove the offending poly and reapplied with fresh poly. Is your poly fresh or is it old, having been exposed to heat/cold and a lot of oxygen in the can?

Very likely that is not the problem but I thought I would mention it since I had it happen once.