PDA

View Full Version : Help me try spray finishing

Charles Green
10-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Hello,

I'm interested in trying to spray laquer. I currently finish everything with wipe on poly.

I'd like to give it a shot but have no idea where to start.
I have a pretty decent size compressor that I'm sure could handle the job.

I see the cheap $50 hvlp guns online all the time. Will these do a decent job? Is this even reasonable to use or are they crap?

What types of laquer does everyone here spray? Will these also spray dyes?

Any resources or info you can point me to would be appreciated. Not looking for a pro gun just something that would be better than wipe on.

Thanks

Jim Becker
10-06-2006, 11:09 PM
You can get a decent and serviceable HVLP conversion gun for $100-150 from Wagner, PC, etc. To that, you'll want to be sure to add moisture filtering, etc. My Wagner HVLP conversion gun cost about $130.

Personally, I only spray water borne products; usually Target Coatings USL which acts very much like NC lacquer without the dangerous fumes and fire hazard. If you do chose to spray solvent based lacquer, you'll need the right environment and safety gear to do it, umm...safely. Outside is good if you live in a temperate climate. I do NOT recommend you spray lacquer if you have a basement shop unless you have a very well equipped spray environment with the proper (explosion proof) ventilation, etc. If you have a free-standing shop, open doors and windows can make it doable, but you'll still need the personal safety gear and an exhaust fan that is safe to use with this kind of material.

Joe Chritz
10-07-2006, 7:28 AM
I shoot target USL with a devilbis finishline gun.

The price was around $100 and it produces excellent results.

There is a learning curve with spraying so be prepared for some practice runs.

You will never go back once you start.

Joe

Charles Green
10-07-2006, 1:52 PM
Waterborne sounds even better.

Any books or video that you've seen that are recommended?

Thanks