PDA

View Full Version : Registration..

Don Kondra
10-06-2006, 7:23 PM
Greetings,

I've been lurking for a while and figured it was time to sign up :)

Well, six tries to get the letters entered correctly. I simply couldn't tell the difference between an X or a H... small or capital letter, sigh...

Finally got a choice simple enough even I couldn't screw it up....

I do respect and appreciate the security but am I the only one who had trouble reading the letters?

Cheers from the soon to be FROZEN White North.

Don Kondra

Mack Cameron
10-06-2006, 7:54 PM
Hi Don; I've been signed up for a while. but I do recall having trouble deciphering the security letters. Took me a number of tries. Another matter, it wouldn't take my name until I put quotes " " around it. I finally got them taken off by an administrator last week.

Oh, by the way, Welcome to the Creek!

And if anyone out there is looking for a fair and critical judge of your work, Don is like Tiger W. "he's the man!"

Cecil Arnold
10-06-2006, 8:00 PM
Welcome to the creek Don. In case no one else speaks up, we like pictures.

Karl Laustrup
10-06-2006, 8:09 PM
Welcome Don. Glad to have you. And yes we do like pictures.

Now for the most important question:

Is there a noon balloon from Saskatoon?

And where does it go? :D :D :D

Karl

Dennis Peacock
10-06-2006, 9:27 PM
Welcome to SMC Don. Great place here with a lot of great folks. Glad to have ya aboard!!!!:D

Don Kondra
10-06-2006, 9:51 PM
Thanks guys!!!

And Karl, sorry, I don't get it? Balloons?

Dog sleds, yes.... :)

Marty Walsh
10-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Don,

Welcome to the creek...and sorry you had problems with that automated system. You're not alone...:o

I know all too well about the 'soon to be frozen white north'. I don't think I'll ever forget the "bar walk" I took a few years ago along the river up there in downtown with my friends that live in Sask. It was mid December, and as cold as I can remember. In fact, when we walked into one bar, we were congratulated for being the only "fools' walking around in -30C weather! They even bought us the first round!

Hopefully your shop is well insulated and heated...
- Marty -

Don Kondra
10-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Hi Marty,

Heck, -30 is a fine winter day in December, just wait till January :)

My shop has 9" walls and an air tight wood stove.(R30 in the walls and R40 in the ceiling).

I really can't keep a fire burning till it reaches -20...

And I've been watching your new shop build, keep up the pictures, eh?

Cheers, Don.

Marty Walsh
10-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Don,

All this talk about MINUS temperatures...especially Celcius...has me so glad I moved to Southern Georgia. It was about +34 C here today, and incredibly sunny. My Sask friends hate it when I tell them what the weather is here...

Glad you've seen my shop thread. I'll certainly keep the pics coming...and you do the same with your work. We all love pics...eh? ;)

- Marty -

Jim Becker
10-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Burr!!!! All this talk of low temps is making me shiver!

Welcome to the 'Creek, Don! Yea, the funny little "copy the graphic" thing can be fun, but it keeps the 'bots from registering and spamming the forums.

Norman Hitt
10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Welcome to the "Creek", Don. What with all this talk about the temperatures up there, I'm sure glad I spent my year in Alaska out on Shemya.:rolleyes: The wind blew like crazy at times but it wasn't NEARLY as cold as where you are.

Since there's nothing to guage size with in your project picture, I don't know if it is a Bowl with Legs, or a Bowl Table, but whatever it is, I like it. Love the wood mix.

Don Kondra
10-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Burr!!!! All this talk of low temps is making me shiver!

Welcome to the 'Creek, Don! Yea, the funny little "copy the graphic" thing can be fun, but it keeps the 'bots from registering and spamming the forums.

Thanks Jim, I just kept reminding myself of that fact but geez, how about a break for these tired 53 year old eyes < big grin >

Speaking of shivering :(

This is the first major snowfall here AFTER I sold my 4 x4 a couple of years ago... My tires were brand new on the Dodge Caravan and I drove out my plus 200 foot driveway with no problem, yippeee...

PS. Marty - Good catch on the celcius..... I forgot to make that clear!!!

Corey Hallagan
10-07-2006, 12:19 AM
I have trouble on any site that uses that encryped letter stuff. But your in now and welcome to SMC!

Corey

Don Kondra
10-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Since there's nothing to guage size with in your project picture, I don't know if it is a Bowl with Legs, or a Bowl Table

The not so short story - I was invited to submit a piece to a gallery I deal with for a turned objects show.

http://www.tugallery.ca/

The claro walnut bowl was turned from a 10" x 2" blank I'd been hoarding for years.

As a show piece, it was a good excuse to play with a stand idea I had.... and play and play some more. Ahhhhh....

When I was done I was astounded to find I could just about have made a full scale coffee table base in the same time....duh. Shaping and joinery takes nearly the same amount of time within a reasonable size range.

The curly maple stand is 6 1/2" high. The stretchers (half lap) are through morticed into the legs and pinned with brass rod.

Glue up on something this small was REALY interesting........

The bowl has one coat of Watco natural oil and three coats of pre-cat lacquer.

On the stand I used my Secret Magic Mix :)

I was fortunate to have a photo of this piece appear along with a short blurb in a recent issue of Western Living Magazine.

Ah, that brings up an interesting point, is it politically correct here to mention it is for sale?

Cheers, Don.

Bob Childress
10-07-2006, 8:45 AM
Don, welcome to the Creek. Always great to have another expert to help us wannabe's. :) Beautiful bowl and stand, BTW.

Ah, that brings up an interesting point, is it politically correct here to mention it is for sale?

No, it isn't, so I'm glad you didn't mention it. :D :D :D

Al Willits
10-07-2006, 9:33 AM
-30C is only -22F, nice afternoon temp for us here in Minnesota....:)

Welcome, and nice looking bowl....bowl right??
Anyway its pretty..:)

Al

Art Mulder
10-10-2006, 7:38 AM
Greetings,

I've been lurking for a while and figured it was time to sign up :)
Cheers from the soon to be FROZEN White North.
Welcome, Don!

As for the minus-30 temps up there... I lived in Edmonton for 7 years (91-98) and am well acquainted with them. What I found interesting, was that in many ways I was more bothered by the short hours of daylight in the winter than by the -30 temps. I tell people that I used to watch the sun rise at 8:30am from my office, and then see it set again at 4:30pm, during the month of December. That, I don't miss.

best,
...art