PDA

View Full Version : Turning termite nests

Jim King
10-06-2006, 6:35 PM
This makes an interesting looking peice when you stabilize a termite nest. The first couple of hours of forming the nest to fit ito a plastic container can be a bit picky. After it is lilled with fiberglass resin and hardens it turns nicely and looks like volcanic rock , granite or something quite different than wood. I can see many possibilities for this .

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2006, 6:41 PM
Boy howdy Jim. I can see a number of things to. That is awesome and it does look like you turned stone. Nice job.

Curt Fuller
10-07-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm always amazed at the things some folks think of. Maybe that was how Corian was invented!

Does it have any termites cast into it?

And I gotta ask, did you use a termite hollowing tool on it?

Jim King
10-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Curt. There are thousands of termites now permanently preservered as if they are in amber. The worst part was bringing it to town and cutting it to fit the plactic form. They do bite. We have another very large termite that the cavities would show off beautifly but havent got the idea how to get one down out of a tree and into a bag yet. Better yet the nest is made of two different colors of material. Empty bees nests are on the list also.

Steve Clardy
10-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Your termites nest in trees?

Jim King
10-07-2006, 1:55 PM
Steve: They do live in trees, some nests will get 3-4 foot in dia and there are several species that make different designs inside the nests. I cant wait to commercialize termite crap salad bowls. What food safe finish do you think would be proper ?