PDA

View Full Version : Maple Pen Boxes-Universal

George M. Perzel
10-06-2006, 4:51 PM
Hi All;
Precautionary Warning-I sell a lot of engraved (laser) pens and boxes, with maple the top seller. I recently purchased a bunch of "maple" boxes from Universal Laser- big mistake. Very poor quality with regard to laserability/contrast. I really have to question whether the material is maple- certainly not hard maple. I had much better results with boxes from Penn State Industries-excellent contrast.
I have no alliance/relationship with either Universal or Penn State Industries.
George

Nancy Laird
10-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi All;
Precautionary Warning-I sell a lot of engraved (laser) pens and boxes, with maple the top seller. I recently purchased a bunch of "maple" boxes from Universal Laser- big mistake. Very poor quality with regard to laserability/contrast. I really have to question whether the material is maple- certainly not hard maple. I had much better results with boxes from Penn State Industries-excellent contrast.
I have no alliance/relationship with either Universal or Penn State Industries.
George

I've found that the maple (and bubinga) pen boxes from Craft Supplies (The Woodturners Catalog) are great for lasering. I had a problem with color fill on one, where the paint ran a little, but other than that, no problems at all. They are very well made--come in singles, doubles, and lift-hinge. You might want to check them out...less than $5.00 in quantities.

Nancy