PDA

View Full Version : I think I fell And can't get up!

Bob Hallowell
10-06-2006, 4:28 PM
I been woodworking for a few years now. I have made hutches grandfather clocks and such and have collected alot of neander tools as of late.
I picked up a cheap used grizzly lathe 6 months ago. I made some chisel handles and a few other pieces. My wife and I went to a bowl turning demo a few months ago and it's been down hill ever since.
I started making and selling pens and wine tops to help pay for christmas and find that I have almost broke even already. Which is good. My wife and I have turned some small bowls in practice and they have turned out so-so. Her's better than mine.

My problem is my table saw has turned into a work bench. my hand planes have seen use only to make a stand to sell my pens and to make curlies to take pictures of my pens. I really like working flat wood. But I just can't do it. almost all my shop time is on the lathe.

I was eyeing up a new cabinet saw and a bigger jointer, but that has changed now I am eyeing up a bigger lathe for bowls and a bigger bandsaw to cut blanks. What is wrong with me. The only good news i guess is until now I could not get my wife in the shop and telling her I wanted a $1200 table saw did not go over well. But when I said if we got a $1500 to $2000 dollar lathe we could make bigger and better bowls she said well if that's what it takes we will have to do it!

I look at the pic's Travis and some of you others post and can not believe I will ever get that good but I am young (34) so I have lots of time to practice.

So I guess this is the abyss you guys are always talking about. I think I am in it.

btw, anyone near central Pa that is willing to give some lessons and tips?

Sorry for the ramble,
Bob

Keith Burns
10-06-2006, 4:38 PM
COOL Bob !!! Now that you have permission to get that lathe, you better get it while the gettin's good:) :)

Mark Rios
10-06-2006, 4:38 PM
Bob, please remember that I am not a turner but.....................(if I have deciphered all of the subtleties and intricacies) It is my understanding that you have abysserated yourself. Congratulations or my condolences, you have to decide which it is.

:D :D :D

Bob Hallowell
10-06-2006, 4:46 PM
We will have to wait a year or so til we can get the new lathe. Til then I will need learn to use what I have. I think it's a decent beginners lathe. I just need to keep her turning and she won't change her mind.

Bob

Cecil Arnold
10-06-2006, 4:57 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope. Check with Bill Gumbine in Kutztown (?sp) who is a SMC member, movie star (he has a couple of DVDs) and turning teacher.

Frank Kobilsek
10-06-2006, 5:15 PM
Bob,

You and, if you have been honest with us, your wife have definately been abysserated. About a year ago an business acqaintance of mine sent me a note to tell me her father in law gave a mini lathe to her husband. Below is my responce to her note:

Dear Heidi,

I recommend now that your husband has a Mini Lathe that you need to give him a $200 per month allowance for buying the tools and material he will now lust for. Any dreams you had of sending your children to college will probably land in the pile of sawdust and shavings on the garage floor and understand that he may never cut the grass or do a chore around the house again. Encourage him before he buys anything he visits http://www.woodturner.org/ to find a local turning club. Send him to a meeting, let him find a mentor, and spend time in the mentor’s shop for a few lessons. I did not do that as the closest clubs are 90 miles away so I learned mostly from the internet and trial & error. Trial & error method can be expensive because you buy things you don’t understand or really need. Also you should build strong relationships with local ER staff, doctors and surgeons, in my case I required orthopedic surgery to repair my mistakes only once … so far.

Frank

PS: Turners wives are the best people I know!

It is too late for you to benefit from the letter but if anyone needs a copy I'm happy to send it.

My wife now wants to learn to turn. We are talking about going to a couples class that Alan and Mary Lacer teach. I think the class would be great but my shop ain't big enough and I doubt she is going to be preparing her own blanks. That means I get double the prep work and half the turning and probably even fewer hot meals. Let me know how sharing the shop works. It might be nice but I'm torn.

Frank

Bob Opsitos
10-06-2006, 5:35 PM
Yeah bob that sounds about right. It's amazing that the lathe is so often at the end of the tool list for most woodworkers. I really wish I would have bought in and and band saw first.

The real great thing about the lathe is working all the free wood. The only lathe wood I've paid for was some pens blanks and wood for a segmented peice.

Where in Central PA are you? I'm southeast of York, near Red Lion.

Thanks
bob

Andy Hoyt
10-06-2006, 5:45 PM
If the definition of self-abysseration includes having fallen and can't get up; then I say, "Why bother getting up? You're already right where you want to and need to be."

CORY FETZER
10-06-2006, 6:13 PM
sounds like with all these central pa postings to this thread we should do a pa get together some weekend when we are all free lebanon here

cory

Bob Hallowell
10-06-2006, 8:25 PM
I live in Du Bois. It's exit 102 on I80.

Bob

Dennis Peacock
10-06-2006, 9:26 PM
Well now....another one bites the dust...I mean curlies. Welcome to the every widening hole of woodturners.!!! :D

Jim Becker
10-06-2006, 9:33 PM
AH...another "spin-crack" addict!

It appears that the closest AAW chapter (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List#PA) to you is Bloomsburg. I was hoping there was something in the State College area, but I'm not seeing it on the list. But it may be worth the trip, IMHO.

I'll also recommend Bill Grumbine as a potential teacher--great fellow and a worth a nice weekend trip. Same for David Ellsworth's three day courses near Quakertown.

Bob Hallowell
10-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Actually, I looked and the Indaina one is closeset about 1hr away. One problem though It meets the 2nd tuesday of the month. The same day as my leadership meeting at my church and I can't miss that. I will have to get in contact with Bill and maybe set up some time for my wife and myself after chrismas.

Thanks,
Bob

Bill Boehme
10-06-2006, 10:50 PM
........My problem is my table saw has turned into a work bench. my hand planes have seen use only to make a stand to sell my pens and to make curlies to take pictures of my pens. I really like working flat wood. But I just can't do it. almost all my shop time is on the lathe........

So, what is your problem?

my table saw has turned into a work bench -- Not a problem
my hand planes have seen use only to make a stand to sell my pens and to make curlies to take pictures of my pens -- Not a problem
I really like working flat wood. But I just can't do it -- We can help you work through this. You are on the right track.
almost all my shop time is on the lathe -- Congratulations, you are "cured"!It sounds to me that everything is as it should be.

Bill

Travis Stinson
10-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Like Bill said, what's the problem? You seem perfectly normal to me. :D

Curt Fuller
10-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Bob, the way I see it you're going to need the big cabinet saw and the new lathe. With a bigger lathe you'll need a bigger work bench.

Blake McCully
10-07-2006, 7:44 AM
Actually, I looked and the Indaina one is closeset about 1hr away. One problem though It meets the 2nd tuesday of the month. The same day as my leadership meeting at my church and I can't miss that. I will have to get in contact with Bill and maybe set up some time for my wife and myself after chrismas.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,
I'm the president of the Indiana club. It's too bad that you are unable to make the meetings. If you and your better half would like to get together some other time at our place that would be great. We're both retired and have as much time as we need/want. We would certainly like to hear from you. Send me a PM and we can discuss it.

Paul Engle
10-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Dear Bob,
Now that you've been abysserated (I lasted nearly 35 yrs) along with the rest of us , I will add you to my prayer list.....:D :D :D

Don Orr
10-07-2006, 12:06 PM
...to the Abyss!! If you're looking for demos and inspiration, think about coming up to Albany, NY next weekend for the Totally Turning 2006 Woodturning Symposium. October 14 & 15. Website is www.totallyturning.com (http://www.totallyturning.com). Lots of bang for your bucks. Look me up if you come or PM me to let me know if you want any other info. Should be a real good time!

Randy Moore
10-07-2006, 8:05 PM
Like Bill said, what's the problem? You seem perfectly normal to me. :D

NORMAL?????????:eek: ??????? What's that? I don't know a "normal" woodworker. :)

Bill Boehme
10-07-2006, 10:10 PM
NORMAL?????????:eek: ??????? What's that? I don't know a "normal" woodworker. :)

You hafta' take things in context.:D

Bill

Ernie Nyvall
10-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Way to go Bob. Sounds o me like you are getting right with the world.

Leigh Costello
10-09-2006, 2:43 AM
I am new to this forum - but not so new to turning. It started as a child when my brother and sisters and I discovered Dad's lathe. From wooden Barbie legs (because the sharks in the swimming pool are relentless) to handles for odd homemade tools that only a child can think of, to pens and all that will fit my lathe, I have turned a lot.

My husband cannot begin to explain to his turning illieterate family our obsession with wood for our future projects - half the basement, one shed, the loft of the barn and still collecting. Fortunately, our wood stove disposes of "creations gone awry" with dependable efficiency.

So welcome to the abyss, welcome.
Leigh