PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a decision on a #3

Kenneth George
10-06-2006, 2:57 PM
Trying to make a decision so thought I would get some opinions. I just acquired a Stanley #3 and by reading Patrick’s Blood and Gore site I find that this plane has a Lateral adjuster that does not have the circular disk on it. Rather it is the bent up type so that should put the plane between 1885 to 1888. The adjustment nut and the chip breaker have L. Bailey and patent dates on them. The Japanning is 70% and the wood is in good condition. I think it is interesting the right side of the plane is much thinner than the left which leads me to believe that this plane did allot of “Shooting”. Structurally the plane is in very good condition and that is good for me as I buy things to use not to look at.

My quandary is that I really love the old tools but I am trying to decide just exactly how much of a “Rehab” I want to do to this plane. I mean functionally I could sharpen and hone the blade and use it like it is. Alternatively I could do a complete restoration on it. I purchased it on Ebay for $51.00 which I am quite happy with.

So what do you guys think?

Jerry Palmer
10-06-2006, 4:00 PM
If you're concerned about devalueing it by rehabbing it, don't. Either don't worry and do what you want, or don't rehab it. personally, I don't know that it has any greater value than what you paid for it on ebay and if you rehab it, it may actually increase the value to someone who is looking for a pretty smoother. I have only done what was necessary to make the planes I've gotten work with the exception of reapplying some shellac to the wood. I do have a Rarebear rehab which had been rejapaned and shined up and made real pretty, but the wood can't tell the difference.:D

Bob Hallowell
10-06-2006, 4:07 PM
Are you going to sell it? if not make it look nice. I have a 604 bedrock I got for a steal and shined it up nice made curly maple knob and tote put a lie neilson blade and chip breaker in it. Did I devalue the plane to a collector, sure. But I love it and it is my favorite plane and the only way it's getting sold is when I'm with my Maker in heaven and if my kids get 50 dollars less for it so be it.

Bob

Mike Wenzloff
10-06-2006, 4:11 PM
Hi Kenneth--I echo the other sentiments. It's up to you to what degree you wish to clean it up.

Myself, I'm too lazy and so don't go beyond cleaning with a scrub pad, oiling everything that shold have oil, more or less flattening the sole and maybe replacing the irons if well worn. If I am going to use one on a shooting board, I do clean up the sides as well.

Take care, Mike

PS--the #3 is one of my favorite planes. I like the size for smoothing the size of work I do.

Dave Anderson NH
10-06-2006, 5:58 PM
Hi Kenneth, Don't put a lot of credence in the idea that the plane was used for shooting. Cast iron wears really slowly. More likely is that the machining of the raw casting was a bit off at the factory when it was made. I've seen this on quite a few of the older Stanleys.

The folks here are right. Stanley literally made millions of #3s and they are as common as shavings on the floor in a Neanderthal shop. Rehab it and it will make a great user. I have 2 regular #3s and one of the corrugated soles and I use them all of the time.

Phil Hirz
10-06-2006, 9:35 PM
I recently picked up a type 9 #3 off of ebay for $40. Everyone must have been sleeping because it was in pretty good condition. The #3 is so small that you should be able to clean the rust off, sharpen the blade, and adequately flatten the bottom in a very short amount of time. I had my plane taking beautiful shavings in an hour or two. Even if yours is in slightly worse condition it shouldn't take you too much longer. I've spent a little more time on it since then but the majority of the performance improvement came within the first hour or so of tuning it.

I really like the #3 plane. I originally bought it thinking that my wife might like it since she has smaller hands, but I find this plane surprisingly comfortable as well.

I guess the fact that my wife would even be interested in an old plane is a pretty good gloat. :) We are currently taking a hand tool class together at Cerritos College. It sure makes talking her into tool purchases a lot easier. She is actually getting pretty good. She is probably better at sharpening than most of the people in the class.

-Phil

Ken Werner
10-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Kenneth-
You own it, you should do as you like with it. I understand that a tool that old merits some respect, and I'd be careful about doing something major to it [like painting it] but a good cleaning and some appropriate oil in the appropriate place shoudn't hurt it should it?
Ken

Kenneth George
10-07-2006, 8:10 AM
Thanks for the response and the thoughts. I guess I should have mentioned that I am not one to care about the collector value. I guess my question was more philosophical in nature. When I buy a tool like this I prefer to find one that has been used and used a lot. Not because it is cheaper but because it has history and character. To me buying an old tool in Un-used condition tells me that whoever bought it probably did not know how to use it so it has just sat around. There is no history to it; no stories to imagine so to me it had no life and those that purchase it and place it back on a shelf rob it of the possibility of fulfilling its design. I guess I am a bit of a romantic with all this but when I use a plane such as this I can’t help but wonder what it has been used to make in the past. How many life’s with different people it has had and what will it help me make in the future.

Ken