PDA

View Full Version : Oneway Bowl Coring

Robert Wilson
10-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Hello All,
Does anybody know the actual height of the bowl coring armrests? I am looking to buy a set. I have 2 lathes that swing 15" and one that swings 31". I would like to be able to use the set on all 3. So I guess my main question is will a 16" work on the 15" swing? I intend to build riser blocks for the larger lathe.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Blake McCully
10-06-2006, 1:41 PM
Bob,
I don't think that will work on that 31" swing. To me, that sounds pretty useless. Why don't you give me a call and I'll come pick it up:D

Frank Kobilsek
10-06-2006, 2:39 PM
Bob, In this case I'd try the Woodcut System instead of the Oneway. The woodcut system fits in your banjo and tailstock. Therefore hieght is no longer an issue. On the other hand you may have an issue with tool post diameter and tailstock taper but you should be able to make adaptors.

I have the Woodcut. Bought it used and had the blades retipped and it works great on my Jet 1642

Frank

Richard Allen
10-06-2006, 4:41 PM
Talk to Kevin at Oneway. He will likely find a way for you to work out the details.

You are going to love that coreing system.

Reed Gray
10-06-2006, 7:06 PM
The Oneway should adjust to the 15 inch lathe, but I don't know about a 31 inch lathe. Going back and forth between them will be a pain because you have to reset the height on the cutter and the support finger each time, and there are 4 cutters in the set. Then you will need 2 bases for the coring system, one for the 15, and one for the 31 (they have a base unit for 20 and 24 inch lathes). I believe the Oneway cores up to about 16 inch diameter. Of the 3 systems out there, the Oneway is the most expensive and the most difficult to sharpen (you have to remove the cutter from the blade to sharpen it).
The Woodcut system cores up to about 10 inches (it can do up to 13, but the blade is a 5 inch radius so the bottom of the core will be concave). It will work fine on your 15 inch lathe.
There is also the McNaughton coring system which is the most adaptable, but it does have a learning curve, and it is best if you do get one to have someone who knows how to use it show you some tricks. It is the one that I use the most. It is faster to set up and use than the others.
robo hippy

Robert Wilson
10-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all your input. I will try to get in touch with Kevin as well as do a little more research on the other systems mentioned. And Blake you may have to come and help me move the 31" if all goes as planned!

Blake McCully
10-07-2006, 7:49 AM
Thanks for all your input. I will try to get in touch with Kevin as well as do a little more research on the other systems mentioned. And Blake you may have to come and help me move the 31" if all goes as planned!

Not a problem, just give me a call. The motel is open.