PDA

View Full Version : Doctor, Doctor, gimme me a clue,,,,

George Conklin
10-06-2006, 12:33 PM
I have an appointment scheduled to see an allergist/immunologist in a couple weeks to find out whats going on with my skin reaction to wood dusts.

It started out with walnut. Then I turned some maple and got the same reaction:eek: .

I'm kind of nervous to try anything else. I guess I'll wait to here what the doc has to say.

I hope there's not a garage sale looming in my future. EEK:eek:

Al Willits
10-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Good luck, hopefully something you can deal with.

I used to get a mild reaction to one of the paints/thinners I used on motorcycles, can't remember which one now, but do remember wrapping up like a mummy whenever I sprayed it...doable, but darn uncomfortable in hot weather.
Might be the same for you?

Keep us posted.

Al

Pete Jordan
10-06-2006, 1:04 PM
Let's just hope it is one kind of wood!

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2006, 1:20 PM
Dang George. Hope it is just a one time thing. I had a reaction to oak and found out it had some kind of herbicide in it. Or you may have to do like my neighbor and wear long sleeves, gloves and then shower when done. He just refuses to give up wood working.

Keith Burns
10-06-2006, 3:02 PM
George, I hope that whatever it turns out to be, that it's something that can be dealt with.

Jim King
10-06-2006, 3:19 PM
I certainly hope you report the findings, every little clue helps. No one as I know of yet has come to a clear conlusion on the subject. Anymore than why some people are allergic to other items and others not.

Travis Stinson
10-06-2006, 8:09 PM
Hope it's nothing too serious George.

Jim Becker
10-06-2006, 9:35 PM
George, my locksmith had a similar thing happen to him years ago. His sensitivity to black walnut "extended" to other species. And he was a carver.

'Hoping you can get by this...

Bill Boehme
10-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Some woods are known "sensitizers". Walnut and cedar are two well known examples. Sometimes you can turn these woods for years without a problem and then suddenly you get a rash everytime that you touch it. The bad thing is that sometimes prolonged exposure to these sensitizer woods can lead to increased sensitivity to all woods.

If you were turning on a hot humid day, the sweat and wood dust can sometimes lead to a rash caused by nothing more than irritation, especially if the dust gets under you collar or sleeves or watchband. Hopefully, this is the reason for the sensitivity to walnut and maple that you experienced.

You may want to consider a long sleeved smock and a PAPR such as the 3M Airstream which has a HEPA filter and high enough air flow to be comfortable.

Bill

Barry Stratton
10-06-2006, 11:14 PM
You didn't have this issue when yu owned the DVR did you??? Personally, I think you are allergic to mustard:D Feel free to ship it to me and I'll dispose of it properly. Go ahead and toss in all your walnut and maple too.............just to be sure.

Hope it is something that keeps you in the shop!

George Conklin
10-06-2006, 11:20 PM
You didn't have this issue when yu owned the DVR did you??? Personally, I think you are allergic to mustard:D Feel free to ship it to me and I'll dispose of it properly. Go ahead and toss in all your walnut and maple too.............just to be sure.

Hope it is something that keeps you in the shop!

Sorry, Barry. I told Don about the problem I was having and he was there to adopt all of the walnut I had.

Thanks for all your concern, everyone. I'll try to remember to post what the doc tells me.

Curt Fuller
10-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Hey George, I'm not a Dr. or anything but I've had a similar problem at times with different woods. Walnut always bothers me. It's as if it throws small splinters too small to see but they stick in my skin and make it feel prickly and sometimes even cause a little rash. I've had other woods do it also especially if I'm turning them after they've dried. I know it's probably pretty warm and toasty down there in AZ but try turning with a long sleeved shirt or turning smock and maybe even some leather gloves with the fingers cut off. In the fall and winter when I have to bundle up to stay warm I don't have any problems with any wood.

I'm not giving medical advice, you should still see the Doc. But it might be worth a try to just keep the shavings and sawdust off your arms and see what happens. I hope you get it resolved without giving up wood turning.

John Shuk
10-07-2006, 8:26 AM
Walnut isn't too friendly to me. I heard about somebody turning Poison Ivy a few years back. Considering some of the exotics it doesn't sound as crazy anymore.

Frank Fusco
10-07-2006, 10:01 AM
It's my understanding that 20% of the population is going to be sensitive to almost ANY substance.
Woods vary in toxicity, folks differ in reaction to them.
I cut and sell aromatic red cedar. The dust is not a bother to most people. But I have to be very careful or my sinuses will be swollen and sore for days.
Walnut doesn't bother me. Someone here said it affects them.
Let us know what you find out. But you are not alone.