PDA

View Full Version : Small winged Mulberry bowl...

Bob Opsitos
10-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Like the title says...thanks for looking.

Bob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/DSCN1486.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/DSCN1485.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Wow. Bob that is awesome. I love the fit and finish. Nice job.

Lou Morrissette
10-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Wow, Bob! Is that what mulberry looks like? We have two huge mulberry trees in the yard and was wondering what that lumber looks like. After looking at your bowl, I'm thinking that maybe they could use a little pruning.;) :D Great job.

Lou

Paul Engle
10-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Super Bob, what kinda of tenon did you use? I like the flat side , with the grain it lOOKS GOOD !!!!

wish i had a mulberry tree in my back yard .......:rolleyes:

Bob Opsitos
10-06-2006, 2:11 PM
thanks guys, the mulberry came from a friend who trimmed his tree so I could have some wood to start turning with. Some of the first things I did with it were spindle type work, a sort of tapered vase shape. Really didn't like the way it cut, wasn't that pleasing to look at, so I hadn't cut another of the many peices I had until the other day. Grabbed a small "y" of two branches and slapped it one the face plate, turned the bottom of the bowl and stub tenon, reversed in the chuck then hollowed & sanded. Finished with Watco Danish Oil and buffed.

It turns much nicer in the face grain orientation, and looks better but I think alot of interesting grain is due to the "y". It's very yellow heartwood, though I'm not sure it will stay that way. The small vase I had done is now a plain brownish yellow, but I also finished that with BLO vs just the watco.

Thanks
bob

Pete Jordan
10-06-2006, 2:48 PM
I really like the shape of this piece!

Did I miss the dimensions?

Keith Burns
10-06-2006, 2:56 PM
Great job Bob:) :) How big is it ??

Bob Opsitos
10-06-2006, 3:16 PM
4.25 to 8 width x 7 length x 2.5 high. Bowl section is 4.75 inner diameter.

thanks
bob

Mark Cothren
10-06-2006, 4:07 PM
Looks great, Bob - very nice!

Frank Fusco
10-06-2006, 4:22 PM
You preserved the naturalness of the wood. Hope your knuckles are still intact. :) I have a large hunk well aged of mulberry that was given to me. Plan to risk an earthquake one of these days and, after chain sawing the corners off, putting it on my min. 600 rpm Grizzly lathe and try making a big bowl.

Andy Hoyt
10-06-2006, 6:03 PM
And it's a natural edge piece to boot.

I like it.

Travis Stinson
10-06-2006, 6:46 PM
That looks great Bob! I love the curl in crotch pieces.:cool:

Vaughn McMillan
10-07-2006, 7:32 AM
Looks real pretty, Bob. There's some neat grain going on in that piece of wood, and you show it off well. I've got a piece of eucalyptus in the garage that I think wants to become one of those. I'll probably know for certain by the end of the weekend.