PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have or have used this..

John Branam
10-06-2006, 9:58 AM
I am looking at this lathe and looking for some input, it is the Delta 46-175
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00005V5NM/ref=s9_asin_title/002-9243848-5668849

Reed Gray
10-06-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't really know anything about this lathe, but the biggest difference between it and the comparable Jet that I can see, is that the Jet has the motor on backwards. The cooling inlet faces the tailstock and sucks in a lot of dust, and actually interferes with some turnings. For NE bowls I like to use a forstner bit to make a flat spot to set the face plate. This can also interfere with reverse mounting to turn off a foot. On the Jet, you can't do this because the end of the motor is flush with the faceplate. Both make nice starter lathes.
robo hippy

Richard Allen
10-06-2006, 4:47 PM
That lathe has been a disapointment for several folks. That lathe needs a LOT of attention to keep it running smoothly. More attention than the Jet of the same class needs.

David Foshee
10-06-2006, 4:56 PM
I have had this lathe for about two years I like it. It is not a fancy lathe but it spins wood and I have not had any trouble with it. For the money I think it is a good value and would buy it again.

If I had unlimited money to spend on a lathe I would buy the Oneway. I considered the Jet/Powermatic and the Delta with the electroic variable speed, that is the only thing that I wish I had on this lathe. The Delta and Jet/Powermatic with the electroic variable speed were about $1,800 when I bouht my Delta for around $600.00 I just could not justify the additional expense. I would spend the money now because I am doing more turning.

Bob Opsitos
10-06-2006, 5:29 PM
I've that lathe, had it for a little over a year. Works well enough that I haven't had desire for something else. Turned pens to bowls to hollow forms. I've also done no maintence other than some anti-rust on the ways. Only real issue is that I'd like the low speed, lower. But it's significant enough to make me regret it's purchase.

Bob

Andy Hoyt
10-06-2006, 5:52 PM
It's probably just fine for centerwork, but lacks just about every feature I'd want for facework.

And I find it somewhat encouraging that the link provided includes a description from Delta - and in that description I found no reference to facework.

And that means that even the manufacturer thinks of it as a spindle lathe.

John Shuk
10-06-2006, 9:04 PM
I like Delta and have that lathes big brother.
I don't think the one you are looking at is very well received by owners though.

Bill Boehme
10-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I have had the Delta 46-715 lathe for about 2 ½ years and think that it is a fine lathe for its size and price. I have done a considerable amount of troubleshooting into a prevalent problem with the lathe -- a clattering sound that occurs at various speeds. I finally identified the root cause of the problem to be due to wear caused by vibration and shock on the keyway of the sliding half of the Reeves pulley on the motor shaft. I tested a number of fixes and when combined they help considerably to make the lathe run very smoothly. But, in the long run, the weak link in the chain is that the pulleys are made from die-cast zinc -- a fairly soft metal. Die-cast zinc is used extensively on fixed diameter pulleys for fractional horsepower motors and it works quite well in that application, but it does not hold up well when it is subject to shock loads. The Delta lathe is not the only one to experience this problem -- I assume that most, if not all, lathes with mechanical variable speed control in the same price range use similar dirives with die-cast zinc pulleys.

Bill