PDA

View Full Version : Sound card question

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
10-17-2003, 1:00 PM
I am changing my sound card for the third time since the old one went kaput. In Device Manager I have the following files:
Audio codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs
My question: Are any of these files unnecessary when I install the new Phillips Sonic Edge sound card? Is one or more of these files part of my modem? (A Broadxent V.92 POI) Are the video files connected to the audio files in some way? OK, more than one question. I would like to have only the necessary files in Device manager when I install the new card. I'm not sure the uninstall of the last card completely removed everything. Can someone clue in an old duffer who remembers when the bathroom was a two holer in a rough outdoor shed.

Ted Shrader
10-17-2003, 1:30 PM
Don -

From what I recall about your trials and tribulations on the sound card - You are running Windows XP.

Recommend you remove all of the listed items via Device Manager. Uninstall your old sound card and reboot with no card in there.

Then, shut it down again, install your new card and reboot with the drivers for the new(est) card in hand. When it comes up, it will have the New Device Found routine to go through. Feed it the newest drivers for the newest card and you should be set (Minus any compatibility issue.)

Good luck,
Ted

10-17-2003, 2:28 PM
Thanks, Ted. I was hoping it would be something simple that I can understand. Hopefully this card will work with XP. Of the last two cards one was incompatible, the other claimed to be compatible but wasn't, at least in my system. This one is supposed to have been designed for XP. We will see.

10-17-2003, 11:13 PM
I knew it was too good to be true. I cleaned everything and installed the card. Then rebooted and when the "found new hardware" wizard came up I started it and then clicked cancel and put the driver CD in the drive. It auto started like it should and then when I clicked "install" I get the message, "No disk in drive. Insert disk." That happened no matter which of the two CD' drives I used. Now what?

10-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Well, after trying numerous times to install the new card I finally turned the computer off and went to bed. This morning I gave it another shot and at the first try it installed without ever asking me to insert the disk which was already inserted. I think the thing is haunted. Anyway the new card is installed and I still have the same problem. The mic, which checks out ok at Radio shack, just won't record. Obviously after trying three cards it is not a problem with the card. I have made sure that nothing is muted and all volume controls are on full blast. I have to blame it on WinXP because I had no such problems with Win98SE.

Ted Shrader
10-18-2003, 5:56 PM
. . . . . I think the thing is haunted.

Don -

I think you finally solved it. :) :D :)

It may be mo-board/XP related. Is the mic plug a mono type plug? Should be, but just curious.

Ted

10-18-2003, 8:43 PM
Yes. Ted, the mic is mono. I tried another clip on mic from Radio Shack and it acted the same.

Chuck Wintle
10-19-2003, 7:50 PM
What kind of computer do you have...just to refresh my memory. I would uninstall the new card by going to the Device Manager and clicking uninstall for the sound card. Power off the computer and reboot. Let the computer redetect everything...the drivers should install no problem. When you say the mic" does not record" do you mean no sound comes from the speakers when you talk into it?

Chuck Wintle
10-20-2003, 9:50 AM
Some other things to check would be....
Via drivers are up to date...download and install new if not.
onboard audio(AC 98 and SB) disabled in BIOS
Mic is in MIC in connector.

10-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Charles, I mean that if I try to record with Windows Sound Recorder or Goldwave nothing is recorded. The onboard sound is disabled. System sounds play ok. The CD plays OK. The sound card is obviously performing OK. The speakers are OK. The mic is not muted and the volume levels are high. I have checked the mic and have used a new adapter and tried another mic and they are all ok. I think that pretty well narrows it down to either WinXP or the motherboard. Of course that is a diagnosis from a nontechie. I downloaded motherboard updates some time ago.

What is really confusing is that when the trouble first surfaced the mic was recording at a really low level. The play volume had to be turned up full to hear it. Then it got so there was no indication of recording at all. Then I tried a new mic and again there was a very low level of recording which only occured a couple of times before the recording stopped again.

The two things which have changed since the system was working is the new sound card and upgrading to WinXP.

Chuck Wintle
10-21-2003, 7:13 AM
What I would try next is.....
Start....Settings....Control Panel....Sounds and Multimedia
Click on the Audio tab and see preferred devices for sound recording
and that the preferred device is your new sound card(Phillips Sonic Edge)

Check if Recording control volume levels are OK by clicking on volume.
In the same panel at the upper left click on Options and then properties.
Again check that the preferred device is your sound card and that the appropriate inputs are checked for recording. i.e. microphone, line in etc.
You might need to select microphone in that panel.Close everything

On the lower right is the main volume control. Open up that panel

At the upper right under Options is Advanced. Click on advanced.
You should see an advanced button under the microphone volume control. Click on it. Try giving the mic +20db gain. Hope this helps

10-22-2003, 12:02 AM
I have pretty much checked everything you mentioned except that for the last part about checking advanced under options on the main volume control. The advanced option is greyed out.

Chuck Wintle
10-22-2003, 5:19 PM
Well I have about run out of ideas. Unless the mic is not pushed all the way in or is not in the mic jack. Uninstall the card in the device manager and power off. Then reinstall all drivers.Its all I can think of.

10-22-2003, 11:00 PM
Thanks for your great attempts to solve my problem, Ted. I am beginning to think it is unsolvable. Microsoft help groups don't even give it much of a shot. The mic is plugged in all the way and in the red jack which is the right one. I'll try your last sugestion then I guess I will remove the card and delete the software and try to re-enable the on board sound. I suspect the shop probably changed a jumper or something on the motherboard which keeps the onboard sound from working. I haven't been able to get the Gigabyte people to respond to support questions although they did respond a few months ago to another question. Thanks again.