PDA

View Full Version : Oneida Portable Dust Collector

Bill Fleming
10-06-2006, 8:05 AM
Have seen the new Oneida Dust collector in several ads now.... has anyone purchased or have experience??

Thx Bill Fleming
bill@gnimelf.net

Bob Marino
10-06-2006, 9:37 AM
Bill,

I just set mine up last night. Simple to set up for sure. Why not have I purchased the very highly regarded Clear-Vue? Just because of the space limitations and needed mobility in my gargae/shop. It will be used for my jointer, planer and band-saw and those are all on mobile bases and can and will end up being moved around depending on what on I doing.
I can also, on most days, place the Onedia outside the garage when running. It looks solid, well made, but I can see one feature lacking already - a handle to use when moving this PORTABLE cyclone around the shop. Instead, you just pull/push it from around the fan housing.

These are muy very first impressions - more info as it get used.

Bob

Russ Massery
10-06-2006, 9:52 AM
Careful Bob! The subject of Oneida, Clearvue, and dust collection. Is a touchy subject around here. Like walking through a Minefield.:rolleyes:

Bob Marino
10-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Careful Bob! The subject of Oneida, Clearvue, and dust collection. Is a touchy subject around here. Like walking through a Minefield.:rolleyes:

Russ,

From Bill Pentz and others, I would surmise the ClearVue the better machine, BUT for my particular case, where no machine will be used in the same spot, the mobility feature was paramount in my decision.

Bob

tod evans
10-06-2006, 10:10 AM
thanks for posting your initial impressions bob........tod

Steve Clardy
10-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Yes. Keep us up to date on how you like it Bob

Jim Becker
10-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Um, Bob...where are the pictures?? ;)

Steve Clardy
10-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Um, Bob...where are the pictures?? ;)

And the second question, where's that Pic Policeman Tyler when you need him:confused:

Russ Massery
10-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Bob, I'd like to hear comment's after you have used it awhile myself. I very different from anything out there. And man Tyler your really slippin' there's at least 3-4 Gloats with no pics.:eek:

Steve Clardy
10-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Bob, I'd like to hear comment's after you have used it awhile myself. I very different from anything out there. And man Tyler your really slippin' there's at least 3-4 Gloats with no pics.:eek:

Tyler must be off track due to his new playshop, er, residence:D

Russ Massery
10-06-2006, 1:30 PM
Maybe he should appoint a Deputy.:rolleyes:

Terry Flowers
10-06-2006, 9:54 PM
Is that the one with a double cyclone on a stand? It looks nice, but really pricey for a home shop user, at least in my case. I wonder why they don't offer a portable with a single cyclone unit.

Terry

Bob Marino
10-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Is that the one with a double cyclone on a stand? It looks nice, but really pricey for a home shop user, at least in my case. I wonder why they don't offer a portable with a single cyclone unit.

Terry

Terry,

Good question, maybe they will offer such a unit. Here's a question - is it just a coincidance that my garage door opener no longer works since I tried the remote for this unit?:confused: :(:eek: :confused:

Bob

John Shuk
10-07-2006, 8:23 AM
I just ordered a Dust Deputy a few days ago. Should be here Tuesday. I haven't been this psyched about cleaning up ever.

Scot Ferraro
10-07-2006, 6:10 PM
Hi Bob,

Please keep us posted with how this system works. I am in the same situation with zero room for a cyclone unit. The portable looks good, but I would like to have some real world feedback on performance. It is pricey, but the portability factor is key for me in my shop. BTW, you mentioned that it is a push/pull system for moving it around. I thought that there were handles on the side to facilitate this. Also, how was it shipped? Were you able to off-load it by yourself?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Scot

Erik Rudd
10-07-2006, 9:03 PM
I just ordered a Dust Deputy a few days ago. Should be here Tuesday. I haven't been this psyched about cleaning up ever.

I'd be very interested in a mini review of the Dust Deputy. It looks like an interesting concept.

glenn bradley
10-07-2006, 9:37 PM
It's your punishment for not coughing up the pics! ;-)

John Shuk
10-08-2006, 9:42 AM
I'd be very interested in a mini review of the Dust Deputy. It looks like an interesting concept.
I will try to do one. I plan on using it to clean COLD EXTIGUISHED ash from my pellet stove as well as wood dust. I'm interested to see what happens.

Bob Marino
10-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Hi Bob,

Please keep us posted with how this system works. I am in the same situation with zero room for a cyclone unit. The portable looks good, but I would like to have some real world feedback on performance. It is pricey, but the portability factor is key for me in my shop. BTW, you mentioned that it is a push/pull system for moving it around. I thought that there were handles on the side to facilitate this. Also, how was it shipped? Were you able to off-load it by yourself?

Scot

Scot,

There are no handles supplied and will check to see if there is any available from Oneida - but that's doubtful. Having been moving it around a bit in the shop, handles should be supplied with this unit. Otherwise you are moving it by the fan housing. This is not a small unit and probably takes up as much space as the standard cylcones. The issue with me is the constant shuffling of the tools and the fact that I can place the unit outside the shop if I so choose.

Bob

Frank Pellow
10-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Since everyone seems reluctant to post a picture, I went to the Oneida web site and found one.

Here it is:

The unit looks good to me. If it had been available when I purchased my Oneida cyclone two years ago, I wold have seriously considered it.

glenn bradley
10-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Sometimes when you don't spend much for something and it works well . . . you think it works better than it does. That being said; I use the 5 gallon bucket cyclone lid ($20) as opposed to the Deputy ($120). I can empty the 5 gallon bucket a dozen times or so before I have to clean the dust 'talcum powder' out of the shop-vac filter so I was impressed.

The down side is that the bucket and the lid combined, don't weigh much. For around the shop use I cured this by tossing a brick in the bucket. For regular use I have a slam-bang shelf made from scrap mounted near the vac. A hole for the bucket with a bungee hold down and a little box to the side to hold all those vac attachments. Vac rolls underneath to save space.

Scot Ferraro
10-08-2006, 2:23 PM
Hi Bob,

I would follow-up with Oneida since the schematic below clearly states that there are pull handles. Also, I would really like to get feedback from you on system performance. Does it have enough CFM to collect everything from your planer/jointer/bandsaw? How does the suction compare to your previous cyclone? I have to shuffle my tools around the garage and need something portable too (that and I do no have a dedicated space that would allow a cyclone unit).

Thanks!

http://www.oneida-air.com/products/systems/portable/images/Portable-Assy-SHT2-(1)_.jpg

Bob Marino
10-08-2006, 5:01 PM
Scot,

I have never seen the unit with handles, not at the Atlanta show, not in the magazine pics and not in the instruction manual. This schematic is new to me. I will be in touch with Oneida regarding that. When pushing the unit from the housing, it feels top heavy and you feel your grip is not strong - it almost begs for the handles. I have not done any side by sides, but there is plenty of suction; more than my previous Oneida 2 hp non-commercial unit, so I have (almost/hopefully) no doubt that it can handles whatever my planer, bandsaw and jointer throw at it. I will be checking it out though.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I would follow-up with Oneida since the schematic below clearly states that there are pull handles. Also, I would really like to get feedback from you on system performance. Does it have enough CFM to collect everything from your planer/jointer/bandsaw? How does the suction compare to your previous cyclone? I have to shuffle my tools around the garage and need something portable too (that and I do no have a dedicated space that would allow a cyclone unit).

Thanks!

http://www.oneida-air.com/products/systems/portable/images/Portable-Assy-SHT2-(1)_.jpg

Aaron Beaver
10-09-2006, 11:04 AM

Short review: Very good, works great and keeps the shop vac filter very clean. There was a recent review in one of the mags (wood mag.?) and after using mine I would agree with what the review said.

Bob Marino
10-09-2006, 1:39 PM
Hi Bob,

Scot

Scot,

I just got an email from one of the managers oat Oneida and there are no handles for the portable unit, they will modify the schematic on their web-site. As I mentioned to him, I just don't see how these would have been hard/costly to manufacture and mount.
He was nice enough to send me a reply email and said they will take a good look at it and see if this can be implemented and if so, do a retrofit.
Bob

frank shic
10-09-2006, 5:03 PM
greetings y'all! i don't have the dust deputy, but i did buy the clearvue minicyclone several weeks ago. i finally had a chance to test it out while routing raised panel doors entirely out of mdf (yes, the rails and stiles too!). i would estimate that the minicyclone got approximately 85-90% of the dust after sealing up the router and creating a zero clearance fence for the bit. the nice thing about the clearvue is that you can see those mdf particles funneling downwards (but keep your eyes on the work, ok ;) ) and you can see through into the five gallon bucket so you know when it's full. BTW, anyone know of a CLEAR five gallon bucket supplier?

you have to rout a circular lip in a piece of mdf or plywood to fit the bucket and then you attach the cyclone to this. you have to weigh down the lid with some lumber scraps to keep the entire contraption from tipping over. it looks like the one piece dust deputy would eliminate the hassle of cutting and assembly but you would not be able to see the dust levels inside.

try to connect the vacuum to the right ports! i mistakenly had them reversed and was on the verge of returning it until i watched the online video again! after i had it correctly positioned, the minicyclone did a remarkable job sucking up the mdf dust, preventing it from spewing all over the garage, the car and my wife's shoes - isn't that alone PRICELESS? BTW there was not a speck in the vacuum until the bucket started to overflow...