PDA

View Full Version : Stand for Jet Mini Lathe

Dennis McDonaugh
10-17-2003, 12:54 PM
I looked at the Jet stand for for $120, but for I think I can do better going some other route. Katherine is only 5'2" so I don't think a regular size stand would be comfortable anyway. First I thought I'd build a cabinet stand out of 3/4" plywood, MDF, or melamine, but then I thought of buying a cheapo bathroom vanity. It probably wouldn't cost much more than the material to build a cabinet and save a lot of time. Add wheels and a solid top and its ready to go. Sound feasable?

Scott Greaves
10-17-2003, 3:43 PM
Hi Dennis,

I think the bathroom vanity is definitely feasible! Just put a solid top on it, and "instant stand!"

That being said, the stand for the Jet mini is adjustable for height, if that helps any. I bought that stand last May, and have found it to be a really nice, stable stand.

Good Luck!

Scott.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-17-2003, 7:52 PM
I went to Home Depot and Lowes and neither one had a cheap bathroom vanity. They had unfinished kitchen cabinets for $44, but no unfinished short bath cabinets. I ended up buying a sheet of birch plywood and made the cabinet out of that.

The Jet has rubber feet that fit into the bolt holes in the bottom of the lathe. Should I leave the feet on the lathe and screw it to the cabinet or should I take them out and use larger bolts to hold it down?

Scott Greaves
10-17-2003, 9:34 PM
Hi Dennis,

Good for you! As woodworkers, this is what we are supposed to be able to do!

If you are going to mount the lathe to the stand, you could probably remove the rubber feet. If you are just going to set the lathe on the bench, which is OK, then leave the feet on to keep it from sliding around. Have fun!

Scott.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks Scott.

Anthony Yakonick
10-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Bolt it down, if you don't do it now you'll do it later!

Anthony