PDA

View Full Version : Mayo vs Mustard

Don Baer
10-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Since they're having so much fun over on the GP forum I figured I'd post the question..:D Not realy wanting to know the answer but which do you prefer on your sandwich.

Travis Stinson
10-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Mayo on my sandwiches...............Mustard in my shop!:D

Mark Cothren
10-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Mayo obviously goes with Moxie... I'll take some yellar mustard on my sammich...:D

Bill Boehme
PB&J for me on whole wheat. I don't think that either mayo or mustard would work for me.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
Yes!

A sandwich isn't a sandwich IMHO without mayo.....but then add mustard and it's really tasty!

CORY FETZER
10-06-2006, 12:33 AM
im usually strictly a mustard man

Andy Hoyt
10-06-2006, 1:44 AM
Oh what the heck - horse radish!

Vaughn McMillan
10-06-2006, 2:50 AM
Ranch dressing for me. Great on pizza, too.

And I wouldn't kick a Powermatic, Oneway, Stubby, DVR, Vega or several other lathes out of my shop, either. For now, I'll just hope my used Sears lathe keeps on keepin' on. It makes nice stuff, but I'll enjoy having a better one some day.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-06-2006, 6:16 AM
I like em all, but my standard now is the exotic Kiwi fruit!! :D

Robert Mickley
10-06-2006, 7:33 AM
Miracle Whip :D :D

Tim Morton
10-06-2006, 7:34 AM
PB&J for me on whole wheat. I don't think that either mayo or mustard would work for me.

Bill

Maybe not but have you ever had mayo with peanut butter? its REALLY good!!:D

Mike Cutler
10-06-2006, 7:40 AM
Mustard. On everything. Mayo is good for making Tunafish, and egg salad as long as it's cut with mustard.

Tomatos and mayo should have to be registered:eek: :D :rolleyes:

Now the real story.

I had nothing against mayo until I was about 12yrs old. My buddy, Pat "Goonie" Hovland, and myself. Along with our mom's were at a diner. There was a lady in the booth next to us eating some form a sandwich with mayo. A big glob of mayo spurted out the end of her sandwich. Goonie's comment on the issue was "ewww gross, elepahant zit juice". I haven't ate mayo alone on a sandwich in 35 years since that day.

Tomato's. Now that's another story.;)

Perry Holbrook
10-06-2006, 7:53 AM
It's hard to beat a 'mator sandwich. Two slices of white bread, both covered with Dukes mayo, three big slices of a home grown 'mator right out of the garden, salt and pepper, and a glass of milk. Now that's good eats.

Perry

tod evans
10-06-2006, 7:57 AM
i like mustard on my brauts, mayo on ham-n-cheese....tod

Raymond Overman
10-06-2006, 8:02 AM
Maybe not but have you ever had mayo with peanut butter? its REALLY good!!:D
If you add banannas and fry it in butter in the frying pan it's especially good! An Elvis special, mmmm mmmm.

tod evans
10-06-2006, 8:04 AM
If you add banannas and fry it in butter in the frying pan it's especially good!

eewwwww:p not with coffee.....

Bob Childress
10-06-2006, 8:47 AM
Depends on the sandwich. Mustard on ham or brats, mayo on most else. Dukes mayo, of course. No real southerner would be caught eating any other kind of mayo. ;)

Either way, you don't have to worry too much about dust collection. :rolleyes:

Ian Barley
10-06-2006, 9:17 AM
Marmite. (and this bit is because apparently marmite is not a sufficiently long and descriptive answer to qualify as a response. It is of course. In fact Marmite is a very valid answer to many of lifes main questions. It seems a shame that when a perfect and self conatined answer can be produced in only seven letters, that the technical ramifications of making that perfect and self contained answer, using technology available in the early years of the twenty first century, mean that a meaningless and overly verbose rider has to be included, even if parenthetically, in order to match some arbitrary minimum length of response)

Kyle Kraft
10-06-2006, 9:23 AM
Mayo and mustard on the turkey sandwich...the best of both worlds!!

Art Mulder
10-06-2006, 9:24 AM
I like em all, but my standard now is the exotic Kiwi fruit!! :D
Err, since when is Kiwi exotic? :confused: I've been eating Kiwi's here in Canada for at least 15 years. I admit they weren't around in the early 80's, but are now pretty common.

I have a coworker here who is a kiwi, (ie: from NZ) and he eats the skin even. Just buffs them a bit on his sleeve and bites into it. I've tried it, and it's not that bad, but I think I'll stick with a knife and spoon.

But to address Don... Both! White or rye bread, some mayo, some smoked ham or pastrami, a thin slice of cheese and a few dabs of mustard. If the fridge cooperates, a slice of crisp lettuce is nice. But if not, you can even dab on a spoonfull of relish if the mood strikes.

Voila!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-06-2006, 9:32 AM
Err, since when is Kiwi exotic? :confused: I've been eating Kiwi's here in Canada for at least 15 years. I admit they weren't around in the early 80's, but are now pretty common.

Geez Art, let me have my little fantasies eh? :rolleyes: ;) :D:D

Glenn Clabo
10-06-2006, 9:34 AM
Mean Mister Mustard sleeps in the park
Shaves in the dark trying to save paper
Sleeps in a hole in the road
Saving up to buy some clothes
Keeps a ten-bob note up his nose
Such a mean old man
Such a mean old man

His sister Pam works in a shop
She never stops, she's a go-getter
Takes him out to look at the queen
Only place that he's ever been
Always shouts out something obscene
Such a dirty old man
Dirty old man

The Beatles

Dennis Peacock
10-06-2006, 10:49 AM
It's mustard on my sammich and my shop!!!!! :D

Frank Fusco
10-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Depends on sandwich. Pastrami, sasuage, mustard. Burgers, mayo.

Wes Bischel
10-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Miracle Whip :D :D

Me too - it's best on grilled cheese!

Wes

Cecil Arnold
10-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Marmite. (and this bit is because apparently marmite is not a sufficiently long and descriptive answer to qualify as a response. It is of course. In fact Marmite is a very valid answer to many of lifes main questions. It seems a shame that when a perfect and self conatined answer can be produced in only seven letters, that the technical ramifications of making that perfect and self contained answer, using technology available in the early years of the twenty first century, mean that a meaningless and overly verbose rider has to be included, even if parenthetically, in order to match some arbitrary minimum length of response)

Ian, you're a nice fellow, but I need to remind you that we have outlawed Marmite on this side of the ocean. Gastly tasting stuff IMHO.

Mustard on my brats, ham & cheese and in the shop, but mayo on burgers and some other things.

Scott Donley
10-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Marmite. (and this bit is because apparently marmite is not a sufficiently long and descriptive answer to qualify as a response. It is of course. In fact Marmite is a very valid answer to many of lifes main questions. It seems a shame that when a perfect and self conatined answer can be produced in only seven letters, that the technical ramifications of making that perfect and self contained answer, using technology available in the early years of the twenty first century, mean that a meaningless and overly verbose rider has to be included, even if parenthetically, in order to match some arbitrary minimum length of response)Marmite????

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Depends on the sandwitch:
Mustard for Turkey or chicken sandwitches

Mayo for those marvelous summer delights inch thick slices of Home made bread and inch thick tomato slices - yum

Then there are other things like lobster salad sandwitches that have may already in it.

Jim Becker
10-06-2006, 11:56 AM
With chicken fingers...it's BOTH...combined with a little honey for good measure.

Al Willits
10-06-2006, 12:05 PM
"""""""
eewwwww:p not with coffee.....
"""""""""

Of course not silly, everybody knows you eat them with milk....:)

Mayo on peanutbutter, mustard on hot dogs.
Horse radish on everything else...

Al

Lee DeRaud
10-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Ranch dressing for me. Great on pizza, too.And while you're at it, wash it down with Moxie.

But there are many much less gruesome ways to kill yourself.:eek:

Ian Barley
10-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Ian, you're a nice fellow, but I need to remind you that we have outlawed Marmite on this side of the ocean....

Now you see Cecil - that's what propaganda can do. Marmite is actually the only remaining item which is the subject of sanctions which were imposed following a little unpleasantness between our two great nations at the end of the eighteenth century. Our daily news is full of stories of illicit shipments being intercepted by revenue men in tricorn hats before they can reach your shores. If we would only lift the embargo you would all be flooded with the devine concoction and realise how much better your lives would be because of it. You see - that's what you get for being unfriendly:p :D :D

Ian Barley
10-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Marmite????
Scott - you have to stop with the invisible ink.

anybody know how to get onion juice off a laptop screen??

Art Mulder
10-06-2006, 12:49 PM
If we would only lift the embargo you would all be flooded with the devine concoction and realise how much better your lives would be because of it.

Here in the lab at work we had a Post-Doc from NZ for a year or two, and she tried introducing marmite to the lab. She enjoyed it on a toasted bagel.

Surprisingly enough, from Ian's perspective, she won no converts. :cool:

It must be one of those things that you need to be "raised on" in order to like. My parents were post-WWII immigrants from The Netherlands. For us it is salty black licorise. Try giving some of that to your friends and watch their faces pucker up.

...art

ps: of course, I think coffee tastes like burnt ashes as well...

Scott Donley
10-06-2006, 1:03 PM
Scott - you have to stop with the invisible ink.

anybody know how to get onion juice off a laptop screen??Scott, who has WAY to much time on his hands :D

Ian Barley
10-06-2006, 1:11 PM
...For us it is salty black licorise....

I love real licorise! It is also a good laugh to give a drinker of English Gin a shot of Dutch Genever, which is alledgedly what it is derived from - my eye!!!

Andy Hoyt
10-06-2006, 1:11 PM
Hey!

Marmite and Moxie!

What could be better?

A side order of scrapple on toasted pumpernickel.

MmMMmmmMmmMmmmMmm gooooooooooooooooood:D

Rob Russell
10-06-2006, 1:40 PM
Reading Ian's posts makes me think of Marmite's cousin - Vegemite. Folks in Oz think of it the way Ian does. I seem to remember seeing it on the shelf right next to the peanut butter.

For some it would definitely be an ... ummm ... er ... "acquired taste" is a polite term. I found it to be enjoyable, although I do prefer other spreads more.

Rob

Ian Barley
10-06-2006, 2:23 PM
Reading Ian's posts makes me think of Marmite's cousin - Vegemite. Folks in Oz think of it the way Ian does. I seem to remember seeing it on the shelf right next to the peanut butter.

For some it would definitely be an ... ummm ... er ... "acquired taste" is a polite term. I found it to be enjoyable, although I do prefer other spreads more.

Rob
Having tried Vegemite I would say more of a son on the distaff side than a cousin. And peanut butter (naturally only crunchy peanut butter would be acceptable to any gentleman) and marmite is a great delicacy. All you have to do is admit that you were wrong and we will lift the embargo;) :D :D

Lee DeRaud
10-06-2006, 2:47 PM
I found it to be enjoyable, although I do prefer other spreads more.It doesn't seem to hold up all that well in low-humidity environments like we have out here.

What? Oh...sorry, I thought you were talking about using it as tub caulk.:D :cool:

Rob Russell
10-06-2006, 2:49 PM
It doesn't seem to hold up all that well in low-humidity environments like we have out here.

What? Oh...sorry, I thought you were talking about using it as tub caulk.:D :cool:

Actually, Vegemite and (I'll assume) Marmite look, smell a bit like and definitely have a similar consistency to axle grease.

Lee DeRaud
10-06-2006, 2:52 PM
Actually, Vegemite and (I'll assume) Marmite look, smell a bit like and definitely have a similar consistency to axle grease.That explains it: easy to spread, but took forever to cure. :eek:

Keith Burns
10-06-2006, 3:09 PM
Crunchy Peanutbutter..................chopped onions..............hot dog on a bun:) :) Don't laugh until you try it.

Cecil Arnold
10-06-2006, 3:25 PM
Hey!

Marmite and Moxie!

What could be better?

A side order of scrapple on toasted pumpernickel.

MmMMmmmMmmMmmmMmm gooooooooooooooooood:D

It figures that you would like it Andy. Rumor has it that Marmite is made from the remains in the beer vats--probably Gueniss--and allows them to sell what should have been thrown away. Maybe that's where Moxie came from too.

Andy Hoyt
10-06-2006, 3:39 PM
..... Maybe that's where Moxie came from too. S h h h h

Lee DeRaud
10-06-2006, 3:45 PM
It figures that you would like it Andy. Rumor has it that Marmite is made from the remains in the beer vats--probably Gueniss--and allows them to sell what should have been thrown away. Maybe that's where Moxie came from too.Also the origin of the phrase "scraping the bottom of the barrel".:cool:

Andy Hoyt
10-06-2006, 3:51 PM
Also the origin of the phrase "scraping the bottom of the barrel".:cool: I've scraped the bottom of a few bowls, but never a barrel. I will only use my trusty Four Inch Glaser Gouge with a Lithuanian grind on barrels.

There - it's now a turning thread. Move it back!

Joe Pelonio
10-06-2006, 3:54 PM
Why is it that on this forum the threads about food seem to be the most active?

Back in '99 I gave my wife a bottle of Vegamite in her Christmas Stocking as a joke, it's still in a kitchen cupboard unopened. It was after we had seen the Mr. Bean episode where he dipped twigs in it and served them to guests when he ran out of pretzels.

Jim Becker
10-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I will only use my trusty Four Inch Glaser Gouge with a Lithuanian grind on barrels.

No picture...it's not real!! (I hope...)

skip coyne
10-06-2006, 11:36 PM
I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer

........:D

Ian Abraham
10-07-2006, 1:06 AM
Back in '99 I gave my wife a bottle of Vegamite in her Christmas Stocking as a joke, it's still in a kitchen cupboard unopened. It was after we had seen the Mr. Bean episode where he dipped twigs in it and served them to guests when he ran out of pretzels

Hmm after all that time it's probably black, sticky and smells funny... should be perfectly OK still :D
And yes it's called 'yeast extract', made from cooked up yeast, and the best source of yeast is... the bottom of a brewing barrell :cool:

You guys just dont know what you are missing :D

Cheers

Ian

Dennis Peacock
10-07-2006, 6:19 AM
No picture...it's not real!! (I hope...)
ROFL!!!!! yea Andy....where's the pics??? :p :rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
10-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Ask and ye shall recieve.

What other kinds of barrels are there? :D