PDA

View Full Version : Allen wrench scrapers...

Jonathon Spafford
10-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I have heard from several different places that you can use allen wrenches for captive ring tools and for mini scrapers... how do you make them??? It seems that torque is just going to force the tip down so it won't cut anything!!! Can someone please enlighten me???

Martin Braun
10-06-2006, 1:10 AM
Well, if you put a good handle on them you can counter the torque. You can also grind them down to shorten and reduce the torque if you like. One of the things I was told, and it seems to work well is to heat treat to improve the durability of the edge. Heat the tip to cherry red, quench in motor oil, and then sharpen as any other scraper. I have used mine for cleaning up the inside shoulder of small ink bottles, etc.

Mike Armstrong
10-06-2006, 1:55 AM
Like this?

Took a turning workshop this summer with Beth Ireland at Anderson Ranch in CO. This was one of the projects. Grind the end to any shape you need.

Mike

Jim Becker
10-06-2006, 11:52 AM
A lot of David Ellsworth's early small work, including some incredible hollow forms, was made using re-purposed allen wrenches in a small wood handle like Mike illustrates. Yes, torque is a factor, but on small work, the forces are not all that great and a decent handle will allow you to control the tool quite well.

Curt Fuller
10-07-2006, 1:08 AM
Is this what you mean? These aren't turned from allen wrenches but from some cheap right angle screwdrivers.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45225&d=1156011487