PDA

View Full Version : Incra Hingecrafter

Gary Herrmann
10-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Anyone ever use one of these? I got a catalog from Woodpeckers I think, that showed one. I've got some boxes to build as gifts and for some reason that thing has been bouncing around in my head. I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy some special router bits for it too.

Thanks

Jon Eckels
10-05-2006, 11:11 PM
I've seen it in rockler, and have always wondered how it's worked, though I don't really have any application for it and will probably never buy it. It looks like a neat little gadget, can anyone explain to me how it works?

Mike Goetzke
10-06-2006, 7:56 AM
I have no experience with it, but, it's on sale now at Woodpeckers for $55 and the bits for $170.

Ken Massingale
10-06-2006, 8:48 AM
Don't have that one, but do have the little $17 drill guide, http://www.woodpeck.com/accessories.html#32
It does small hinges great, I will probably ask Santa for the big one. Do a couple of practice runs on scrap, of course. Nice wooden hinges really set a project off nicely.
ken

Brent Smith
10-06-2006, 12:13 PM
I've been wondering about this jig myself. Does anyone know if you need the whole incra router fence setup to use it.

Ken, how about the small one. Is it a self contained unit or does it work with an incra fence?

Brent

Bill Stuewe
10-06-2006, 2:45 PM
I have the small one for several years now. I do have the Incra Twin Linear fence system and love it but hinges can be done without it. You need a bullnose bit and a straight bit. The hinge joint is cut as a box joint. Pretty neat. I have seen hinges made up as little "books" or in one case "Bibles" for a Sunday School class--Glued a bible verse on the inside.

Doug Shepard
10-06-2006, 6:56 PM
Mine has been in the box since I bought it. I keep getting sidetracked by other projects and haven't gotten around to working on any wooden hinges. They do have the manual online though if that helps
http://www.woodpeck.com/media/HingeCrafterManual.pdf

Ken Massingale
10-07-2006, 3:13 PM
I've been wondering about this jig myself. Does anyone know if you need the whole incra router fence setup to use it.

Ken, how about the small one. Is it a self contained unit or does it work with an incra fence?

Brent
It's like Bill says, I have an Incra fence, but it's not necessary. The little instruction sheets that come with it can be read to do them with a standard fence and a jig.
HTH
ken