PDA

View Full Version : Quick ? about a panel glue up

Matt Day
10-05-2006, 3:14 PM
I've got a panel for a chest of drawers that I've made, but I'm unsure what should and what shouldn't get glue. I appologize in advance for not having a picture, but I hope I can explain it enough.

To save money/time/materials, I basically made the back panel one large piece (~3'x4") of 1/2" birch ply, with 1/4" tenon on all sides which slides into a mortise on the stiles and rails. (basically one big panel with a tenon, and the rails are joined by mortise and tenon as well)

Should only the rails be glued into the stiles? The tenon on the rails is 5" tall.

Thanks

Tom Jones III
10-05-2006, 3:21 PM
If I understand it right, you've got a single piece of plywood surrounded by four pieces of solid wood (legs and rails). Glue everything.

Since the panel is plywood there shouldn't be seasonal wood movement worth accounting for. If the panel were solid wood then you would leave it floating free inside the frame.

Steve Clardy
10-05-2006, 3:50 PM
Yes. Glue everything

Mack Cameron
10-05-2006, 3:54 PM
Why bother glueing the plywood panel in place since there is no need for it to be solid.

Here's a way I like to do panel glueups a little at a time. Consider the legs as the stiles. Glue both rails to one leg (stile) top & bottom using the other stile to square things up. Clamp etc. Next day, slide the panel in, and glue the other leg (stile) to the top and bottom of the rails.

I know exactly what I mean, I hope I have conveyed my method to you. I'm having my doubts!