PDA

View Full Version : Propeller

Bill Kay
10-05-2006, 9:26 AM
I was asked by a local aviation museum if I could carve a propeller for a display engine that dated back to around 1916. The museum had some donated red oak, I had the time to volunteer. I drew up a template, glued up a blank and started shaping. All done with hand tools. Block plane and a number 4 for the majority of the shaping and rasps for the area around the hub. Lots of sanding. Should be able to begin varnishing it today. his prop will be installed on a restored 1916 Lawrance for a museum static display. This engine was used on a trainer called a Penguin. This trainer was used to teach ground handling to new pilots or "Pile Its" as the case may be. Here is a little info about the airplane. http://www.cradleofaviation.org/exhibits/ww1/penguin/ A little about the engine is located here. http://www.ohtm.org/eng_lawrence.html Might have to make one for me. Regards, Bill

Glenn Clabo
10-05-2006, 9:39 AM
Nice job Bill! Just wondering how long it took...

Bill Kay
10-05-2006, 9:57 AM
Hi Glenn.

It took around 40 to 50 hours to get it ready to finish. I did it all with hand tools just to see. Using a wood with a little less attitude would have helped.

As the helix gets carved it seems like you are always going against the grain.

Regards,
Bill

Dave Anderson NH
10-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Great job Bill. Carving and shaping something like that takes a lot of time and skill. Ya done good.

Tyler Howell
10-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Well done Bill :cool: How long?? Looks to be about 30"?

Jeff Farris
10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Well done Bill :cool: How long?? Looks to be about 30"?

Well, if his firewood is cut in 16-18 inch lengths, it looks to me to be closer to 4 or 5 feet.

Beautiful work, Bill. I have always admired wooden propellers. Do you think you have the shape right to actually draw? It sure looks good. Which brings up the question, how were the wooden propellers of old made?

Tyler Howell
10-05-2006, 3:09 PM
[quote=Jeff Farris how were the wooden propellers of old made?[/quote]
Many I've seen were laminated hardwood stock.

Bill Kay
10-05-2006, 7:54 PM
Hi,

This prop is a little over 4 feet in diameter and about 4 inches thick. The blank was glued up using 5 laminations.

Many types of wood, from mahogany to walnut, were used. Woods used in Europe were chosen for the availability there which also drove the selection here in the U.S.

Around 1915 oak became the material of choice for Paragon propellers built by the American Propeller Company Each propeller manufacturer had its own procedure and wood type. Back then a large amount of the woodwork for the aviation industry was done by furniture makers and other wood workers in the trades.

One large manufacturer was actually a piano company

Here is a link to some additional info about the props and the companies that made them.

http://www.woodenpropeller.com/index.html

Many smaller museums work on a donation basis and the supplies quite often don't exactly match history. In this case we were able to get close.
Regards,
Bill

harry strasil
10-05-2006, 7:59 PM
Nice job Bill, the only one I have seen up close was owned by an old WW1 military pilot I used to know, and it was in sad shape, his guns got out of sinc and he shot the ends off, but made a long glide and landed in his own territory, and he asked if he could have the one he shot up. It was funny to hear him tell the story, he said he did a lot of praying at the time.