PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Is Coming....

Dennis Kotlowski
10-05-2006, 9:07 AM
Christmas is coming on quick and I thought it would be great if a thread was started with some christmas designs (ornaments, etc) that could be shared among all the members. I will start us off with this sleigh design i made. I used 1/8" baltic birch. I made this one for my wife... she wanted a counter top display that could be used as a planter. It could also be used as a candy dish. I hope everyone enjoys and hope there are more designs shared.
Dennis
JD Laser Gifts

Steve McKee
10-05-2006, 9:38 AM
Thanks Dennis, that looks nice, I'll have to give it a try. I think you have a good idea with the Christmas thread. I'll try and post something as well.

Debbie Gillett
10-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Dennis,
Hi, I have a couple of shows I can get into and would love some new ideas. You did a great job on the sleigh. The shows I have are kids shows so products need to be below $5 and from doing these types of shows in the past (I used to paint for shows many moons ago) that there is a great need to make things geared towards men. All kinds of presents for the kids to buy mom are available but not so much for the dad's. So I need dad ideas. Plus I have a bigger show i can do with much more pricier items. Would love to hear some neat fast ideas out there that are quick sellers.
Also Dennis I have gone to your site before, very nice by the way... I was wondering if you could share the night light idea. Where do you buy the night lights and then what is the pattern to keep the wood designed ornate cover attached to the night light.
Thanks bunches,

Ed Lang
10-05-2006, 4:54 PM
For the Dads how about "tool" ornaments.

Jerry Allen
10-05-2006, 7:36 PM
Here's a few designs I did last month. I was too cheap to pop for the available commercial designs. Save $16...
Adjust slot widths for different materials.
You can just scale the objects or edit the nodes.
Or just use as an idea for your own designs.
I used the larger designs with .25" birch ply and the smaller one with ~1/8" acrylic.
Show us your work!

Keith Outten
10-05-2006, 9:39 PM
Check out this thread for last years group of Ornaments.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27106&highlight=ornaments

art baylor
10-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Keith:

Okay, I finally figured out how to DL a CDR, thanks to another member.
It's not right, but works. Now how do I down load a zip? What is wrong with your DL's?
When I Rt click them to "save as" they show as gif, and changing extetention to zip does not matter, they do not DL properly. I do not have this ploblem elsewhere.
Fix your stuff or give me a work around!

I do love your site.

LOL

Art

Shaddy Dedmore
10-06-2006, 2:28 AM
Fix your stuff or give me a work around!

I do love your site.

LOL

Art

work arounds have been given many times... Right click and Save As, then just type in the name, something.cdr, something.zip, whatever it's supposed to be.

Shaddy

Keith Outten
10-06-2006, 5:21 AM
Art,

A zip file is a file or group of files that are combined and compressed. You must use a program to uncompress the file before you can view its contents. WinZip, I believe is the most popular software for compressing and uncompressing files.

Files that are attached to posts here in their native format like cdr's and dwg files can be saved as Shaddy suggested. I'm not sure why some Members have problems saving file attachments, it works for me every time and I have never experienced a problem using Explorer or Firefox.

Jerry Allen
10-06-2006, 6:55 PM
Keith,
Are you saying that you download .cdrs and it defaults to saving as a .cdr file?
I just change the filename and type to .cdr, but I do not have to change the type or extender from any other FTP servers with .cdr files.
As examples: Epilog's website and GCC's website.
I personally don't really care, but it seems that setting up the server to do so would cut down on a lot of unnecessary traffic and questions.

In regards to Art's comment about .zip files. I have WinZip installed and they always save without renaming or changing the file type. I don't care to unistall Winzip to find out if the stock Windows XP "zipper" works, but you can get Winzip for free or cheap, in addition to other progs that do the same thing.

Jerry Allen
10-06-2006, 7:20 PM
Some examples from my previous post.
I'm sure they'd look better on a tree.
And the wood finished.

art baylor
10-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Kieth:
I am very aware of what a zip file is and how to use it. I am using the XP unzipper. After downloading it, when I try to "unzip" it, it says it is invalid or corrupted. I use all the usual rt click, save as, change extension, ect.
I have a good zip from you dated 8/9/06 but a bad one dated 8/8/06?
If anyone can point me to some bad setting or what ever I would appreciate it. A work around would also be fine. But, I have to repeat, I don't have these problems except here.

Shaddy:
That is how it should work. It doesn't.

Jerry:
I agree with you.

Thank you all. Hoping to find a solution to a frustrating problem

Art

art baylor
10-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Kieth:
I am very aware of what a zip file is and how to use it. I am using the XP unzipper. After downloading it, when I try to "unzip" it, it says it is invalid or corrupted. I use all the usual rt click, save as, change extension, ect.
I have a good zip from you dated 8/9/06 but a bad one dated 8/8/06?
If anyone can point me to some bad setting or what ever I would appreciate it. A work around would also be fine. But, I have to repeat, I don't have these problems except here.

Shaddy:
That is how it should work. It doesn't.

Jerry:
I agree with you.

Thank you all. Hoping to find a solution to a frustrating problem

Art

Keith Outten
10-07-2006, 7:56 AM
Keith,
Are you saying that you download .cdrs and it defaults to saving as a .cdr file?
I just change the filename and type to .cdr, but I do not have to change the type or extender from any other FTP servers with .cdr files.
As examples: Epilog's website and GCC's website.
I personally don't really care, but it seems that setting up the server to do so would cut down on a lot of unnecessary traffic and questions.

In regards to Art's comment about .zip files. I have WinZip installed and they always save without renaming or changing the file type. I don't care to unistall Winzip to find out if the stock Windows XP "zipper" works, but you can get Winzip for free or cheap, in addition to other progs that do the same thing.

Jerry,

I'm using Firefox and don't have to remane files when I download them. I simply right click and select save as, the file extention doesn't need to be edited. Some of the qwerks that a few experience are problems from our vBulletin software and not our server. There isn't much we can do about vBulletin, the software is what it is and when bugs are found we must wait for a new version and hope the bugs are fixed. We can report problems to the developers and there is an avenue for us to request improvements.

In spite of it's little qwerks vBulletin is robust, well supported and has served us well.

Jerry Allen
10-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the reply , Kieth.
As a side note, at times I use Leechget (free), a download manager.
http://www.leechget.net/en/
It does indentify the extenders correctly. (The only caveat is that on some servers, not SMC, it will screw up since it tries to use multiple download streams which some servers are not capable of handling. The fix for that is to set its options to disable multiple streams).

So, I guess it is a problem (for now hopefully) with IE and vBulletin.

Unfortunatley, this thread has steered off course from Dennis' original intent...

Todd Jones
10-07-2006, 3:11 PM
here are a few more hope you all enjoy

art baylor
10-07-2006, 9:28 PM
Keith:
Okay, okay, I'll get Fox Fire.
Art

Dennis Kotlowski
10-12-2006, 1:03 AM
WHERE DID ALL THE FIZZLE GO HERE!! OVER 900 PEOPLE VIEWED THIS THREAD BUT ONLY 3 PEOPLE CONTRIBUTED SOMETHING!! I AM SURE THEIR ARE OTHER PEOPLE WITH SOMETHING TO SHARE OUT THERE.

Dennis
JD Laser Gifts

Dave Fifield
10-12-2006, 6:00 AM
I'll have some "different" ;) Christmas laser thingies for you to try some time soon......

File downloading is not an issue here. I right click the source, save the file (usually with a .htm extension), go to Windows Explorer, change the file extension to .cdr and I'm done. The .zip file (above) downloaded as a .zip file for me - all I had to do was open the .zip file and copy the files to one of my folders. I'm running XP Home + SP2 + IE6. Perhaps you have some issue with file extension allocations Art?

:Dave F.

Linda Tetreault
10-12-2006, 7:45 AM
Dennis,

I sure if most of us had "original" art to contribute. we would. I'm probably not alone when I say all of the projects I have, I either bought or someone donated. If I'm ever in the position to design something, this will be the first place it goes.:)

Linda

art baylor
10-13-2006, 3:38 PM
Kieth:

Many thanks to Ed Lang for his time and patience in trying to help me with the download problem. We never did find the ghost in the machine and it became much easier to just load Foxfire. Everything (CDR, ZIP, and PDF) downloads as they should now. Many thanks to all for the suggestions.

Art