PDA

View Full Version : Homemade or Shop Built Bandsaw....?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-05-2006, 6:52 AM
Yep, looks like I might just go this route. :D

I did a search here, and found next to nothing, thus, I'm asking for some links.

I have a MIG, and I know how to use it, I figure I can make a welded steel frame, if I use some pillow blocks and shafts, plus some wheels made from MDF.............. Why not?

I mean really, would it be that hard?

The frame seems straight forward enough, make it similar to the one on Big Blue.........

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/bandsaw/blue_framed.jpg

Or something similar...

The shafts and pillow blocks could be bought......

http://www.grainger.com/images/products/6X232.JPG
with a shaft for the wheel on the bottom (drive wheel) and pulley to a motor........

I think the most difficult part would be the tensioner and the tracking unit on top.........?

Covers for the wheels, and blade guides, as well as the table and trunnion I figure I could fabricate that, but I need ideas for the tensioner etc.

I'd make sure the length of the blades are the standard of the 14" saws.

I'm confident I can make such a tool for WAY less than the money it would cost me here............

http://www.p-tools.com/delta2/bs/28-206a.JPG
Delta 28-206
94,500 yen to me :eek: ($860 plus shipping!!)]

The steel won't cost me much, the pillow blocks are not that much, the shaft can't be that much, and I can get a good used motor for less than $100..............

Any pics and or websites you can point me to or some other ideas would be great.

Cheers!

tod evans
10-05-2006, 7:24 AM
stu, nix the mdf wheel idea right off! bad idea......building a frame, or the entire saw is a good idea though. i`d be happy to shoot pics and measure either of mine if it`ll help? you could have steel wheels cut with a plasma cutter or just source cast ones, or maybe an industrial salvage,(do they have those in japan?).......check with dodge or whomever you intend to buy your pillow blocks from `cause the forces exibited by a bandsaw are not typically what a pillow block is subjected to......an automotive spindle with tapered bearings would be more in line........tod

Rob Russell
10-05-2006, 7:40 AM
Stu,

What's wrong with Big Blue, especially after all the work you went through restoring that saw?

Rob

10-05-2006, 7:48 AM
Stu,

What's wrong with Big Blue, especially after all the work you went through restoring that saw?

Rob
Rob, nothing is wrong with Big Blue, it will always have a place in my shop. but is is a "Re-Saw" not good at cutting curves, with a 2 1/4" wide blade :D

I'm looking for a 14" type saw, they are HARD to come by here for a reasonable price.

Tod, OK, MDF wheel idea has been dropped :D

I just had a look at Grizzly's site, as they list the prices of parts, and the basic cast aluminium wheels for their 14" saw are something like $38 each.....Hmm.......

I really do need to find some sort of an industrial salvage yard, but really, I don't know where the heck I would find one......?

Have to look around.

Cheers!

Oh yeah, Tod, pics and sizes would be great, but take you time, this is an idea that is just cooking on my mind at the momment......

tod evans
10-05-2006, 7:59 AM
stu, still workin` on my first cup so the ol` brain cell ain`t up to speed yet... but the front spindle of an old camaro or such would be severe overkill for the top wheel and 15" rims are a dime a dozen. i could see a double pillow block and shaft set-up working for the drive wheel.....maybe the rear axle turned down to fit the pillow blocks?.....do you have access to a metal lathe? ........man this thing i`m envisioning would be heavy!! better quit typing and drink coffee:D ...tod

10-05-2006, 8:14 AM
stu, still workin` on my first cup so the ol` brain cell ain`t up to speed yet... but the front spindle of an old camaro or such would be severe overkill for the top wheel and 15" rims are a dime a dozen. i could see a double pillow block and shaft set-up working for the drive wheel.....maybe the rear axle turned down to fit the pillow blocks?.....do you have access to a metal lathe? ........man this thing i`m envisioning would be heavy!! better quit typing and drink coffee:D ...tod

Well, I'm on my 12th hour at work, and I'm drinking coffee too......... hasn't really helped :rolleyes: ;) :D

I don't want this thing to be a MONSTER, remember, I have Big Blue for BIG resaw, so I really only need a curve cutter.

Maybe motorcycle or even scooter wheels and spindles.....?

The scooters have single sided swingarms too.......... :D

I don't have access to a metal lathe, but I'm working on an idea of making a set up to use my DVR for light metal work.

Cheers!

Rick Lizek
10-05-2006, 8:23 AM
Gilliom Manufacturing
P.O. Box 1018
St. Charles, Mo 63302
636-724-1812 ...no web presence, definitely old timers!
This company has been selling kits to make basic wood machines including bandsaws from plywood. There are also a few companies that sells plans and kits on making bandmills using auto tires for the wheels so you aren't the first to attempt building a bandsaw. Plywood wheels and aftermarket urethane tires would be a simple option.

10-05-2006, 8:30 AM
Thanks Rick, I can Skype them and save the long distance charges :D

or I could even send them a SNAIL MAIL letter.......... :eek:

Cheers!

Wes Bischel
10-05-2006, 9:23 AM
Stu,
A couple links for your viewing enjoyment!:D

http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/bandsaw.html

http://www.bedair.org/Bandsaw.html

http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/pipe-bandsaw.html

Okay, maybe update the last one from model T to Toyota.;)

I think I may have one or two more around, I'll check. Also, there is a book on making a horizontal/vertical saw by Vincent Gingery - out of print though.

Wes

Frank Fusco
10-05-2006, 10:25 AM
What would shipping from U.S. to you cost? The shipping weight on the Grizzly G0555 is 210 pounds.

10-05-2006, 10:52 AM
What would shipping from U.S. to you cost? The shipping weight on the Grizzly G0555 is 210 pounds.

The DVR cost me near $800 all said, it weighs 181 pounds, which is what the Grizzly might be close to, without the motor, as I would not need one, power is different over here.

Cheers!

Paul Libby
10-05-2006, 11:12 AM
I helped an neighbor make a Gilliom 12" band saw, about 20 years ago. He was retired and an avid wood carver. Cut with the saw every day. Seems like the tires were pretty cheap and had to be replaced, but the rest of the saw was fine. We used 3/4" ply and clear Douglas fir 2X stock for the saw, and if I recall correctly a formica sink cut out for the table. If you look at their kits, and assemble one on a steel frame.....

10-05-2006, 2:13 PM
Thanks for the info Paul, I'm going to send them a letter.

Cheers!

Frank Fusco
10-05-2006, 3:42 PM
The DVR cost me near $800 all said, it weighs 181 pounds, which is what the Grizzly might be close to, without the motor, as I would not need one, power is different over here.

Cheers!

No real savings there. An idea that won't fly.

chris del
10-05-2006, 9:09 PM
Stu.

Where were you going to use the pillow blocks? You may or may not know that the insert bearing has a spherical outside diameter allowing it to self align in the housing. This makes it impossible to keep the shaft to a right angle of where the pillow block is mounted too. Unless you use 2 pillow blocks per shaft. A better option would be to machine a housing to house a bearing with a cylindrical outside dia as in most band saws.
A spoked cast iron v-belt pulley would make ideal band saw pulleys providing you can have the "v-groove machined off.

Bruce Wrenn
10-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Stu.

Where were you going to use the pillow blocks? You may or may not know that the insert bearing has a spherical outside diameter allowing it to self align in the housing. This makes it impossible to keep the shaft to a right angle of where the pillow block is mounted too. Unless you use 2 pillow blocks per shaft. A better option would be to machine a housing to house a bearing with a cylindrical outside dia as in most band saws.
A spoked cast iron v-belt pulley would make ideal band saw pulleys providing you can have the "v-groove machined off. You could use a loose V-belt for drive tires. Most of the small bandsaw mills use this arangement. A lot have shifted to a poly. drive belt instead. Do a search for Bill Rakes web site and check out the homemade bandsaw mills for some ideas.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-05-2006, 10:32 PM
I have been doodling with this idea for a while. I want a rather big-ish saw. Auto spindles are superb so too pillow block. Either will allow a good range of camber. Pillow blocks will allow more in-and-out but auto spindles will never move after you set 'em.

The wheels have stumped me. I havn't got the head room to use auto tires, casting 'em isn't on the menu, and machining 'em from plate aluminum is likely not an option.
Maybe tires from some tiny car like a Check' car? or old RR wheels?

Kelly C. Hanna
10-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Stu...you are a madman! Can't wait to see how this project turns out. You are the man for inventing what you need. Not sure about the wheels, but with tires on them it might work....:D

10-06-2006, 4:54 AM
Thanks Kelly........... I think......... ;) :D

BTW, this is what about $400 gets me here in Japan.............

http://www.p-tools.com/ryobi2/gerden/entry/bts50b.JPG

Yep, a nice toy bandsaw...........:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Nick Clayton
10-06-2006, 8:20 AM
Stu,

Here is another link that you might find helpful http://owwm.com/MfgIndex/image.asp?id=857.
If you search around this sight under Gil-Built you'll find some images of 18" Gilliom saws. Don't forget to start a thread when you build it so we can see the progress, I can't wait!

Kelly C. Hanna
10-06-2006, 8:29 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's not even a good toy Stu!

Travis Johnson
10-06-2006, 8:32 AM
Why not just buy the parts for a bansaw from Gillium? They are still in business and have great service...in fact it just cannot be beat. Now if only they had a website.

I have one of their 19 inch bandsaws and love the capcity and horsepower. For 300 bucks how could you beat that?

They are made using 3/4 plywood and at first I found some vibration. That was quickly changed however when I placed 200 pounds of traction sand at the base. Now it is rock solid with less vibration than I have with my Craftsman Bandsaw.

By the way this is one of only a few bandsaws that I know of that can be geared down to cut both wood and steel. And for your info, they also have plans you can purchase to make your own bandsaw whhels out of wood...or you can purchase their steel wheels in a supplied kit.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/sitebuilder/images/Gilliom_Bandsaw-97x142.jpg

10-06-2006, 9:43 AM
Stu,

Here is another link that you might find helpful http://owwm.com/MfgIndex/image.asp?id=857.
If you search around this sight under Gil-Built you'll find some images of 18" Gilliom saws. Don't forget to start a thread when you build it so we can see the progress, I can't wait!

Thanks Nick!!!

............ who.......me...........pictures.............?

Surely you must be talking about some "Other" Stu in Tokyo Japan..... :rolleyes:

Kelly, ya, no kidding, $400....... :eek:

Travis, thanks for the info, I'm going to write them a letter and send it tonight, do they have some sort of catalogue?

Cheers!

Art Mulder
10-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks Kelly........... I think......... ;) :D

BTW, this is what about $400 gets me here in Japan.............

Gee, Stu, that sucks. I can introduce you to a fellow on another forum who hopped the border into Buffalo and came back with an 18" delta reconditioned bandsaw for ... wait for it ... US$725.

But you might cry.

10-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Gee, Stu, that sucks. I can introduce you to a fellow on another forum who hopped the border into Buffalo and came back with an 18" delta reconditioned bandsaw for ... wait for it ... US$725.

But you might cry.

I'd not cry, but I might be caught, looking down, shaking my head.......:rolleyes:

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Why not just buy the parts for a bansaw from Gillium? They are still in business and have great service...in fact it just cannot be beat. Now if only they had a website.

GILLIOM MANUFACTURING
P O Box 1018
Saint Charles, MO 63302-1018
Phone: 636-724-1812

10-06-2006, 11:52 AM
GILLIOM MANUFACTURING
P O Box 1018
Saint Charles, MO 63302-1018
Phone: 636-724-1812

Thanks Cliff, you are the second nice guy to help me out by posting this address, I VERY much appreciate the help.

I wrote a letter, and mailed it today.

Cheers!

David Briski
10-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Would bicycle wheels work for the bandsaw wheels? Kids bikes come in 14" wheels or something close to it I think. They usually have a little crown to them, and you can get them with the bearing in the hub.

10-06-2006, 1:08 PM
Would bicycle wheels work for the bandsaw wheels? Kids bikes come in 14" wheels or something close to it I think. They usually have a little crown to them, and you can get them with the bearing in the hub.

Yeah they do, and so do motorcycle wheels, I do wonder how well they would hold up?

Cheers!

Bud Zysk
10-06-2006, 1:22 PM
Gilliom Manufacturing
P.O. Box 1018
St. Charles, Mo 63302
636-724-1812 ...no web presence, definitely old timers!
This company has been selling kits to make basic wood machines including bandsaws from plywood. There are also a few companies that sells plans and kits on making bandmills using auto tires for the wheels so you aren't the first to attempt building a bandsaw. Plywood wheels and aftermarket urethane tires would be a simple option.

My Dad made a BS from their plans and parts. Worked pretty good, IIRC.

randy street
10-06-2006, 3:14 PM
Hey Stu,

Here's one of their old ad's.

Regards

Randy

John Guerra
10-07-2006, 4:02 AM
Stu,

Here are some pics of a Gilliom 18" bandsaw that I have. It was given to me - I didn't build it. I only painted it white because it was an ugly dark red when I got it. The guy had the original plans and everything. I had inquired about them previously and they sent me their catalog. It works ok but the tires on mine need to be replaced and it vibrates some. I never got around to replacing them and now I have a different bandsaw. Too bad you are so far away or I'd practically give it to you. Going with a steel frame is probably better for keeping tension, but this saw does work pretty good. Maybe the pics will give you some ideas. All the metal parts are from the Gilliom Kit.

John

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ctxman/Gilliom%20Bandsaw/Im000407.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ctxman/Gilliom%20Bandsaw/Im000408.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ctxman/Gilliom%20Bandsaw/Im000410.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ctxman/Gilliom%20Bandsaw/Im000409.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ctxman/Gilliom%20Bandsaw/Im000411.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/ctxman/Gilliom%20Bandsaw/Im000412.jpg

10-07-2006, 4:20 AM
Thanks for taking the time to shoot the pics John, I really appreciate that.

I'm going to be looking hard at this option, as it may get me what I want for the price I'm willing to pay.

Cheers!

John Shuk
10-07-2006, 8:11 AM
If anyone can do I know you can Stu.
Can't wait to see the end result.

10-07-2006, 8:19 AM
Thanks John, we shall see!

Cheers!

Art Mulder
10-07-2006, 6:32 PM
Here are some pics of a Gilliom 18" bandsaw that I have. It was given to me - I didn't build it. I only painted it white because it was an ugly dark red when I got it. The guy had the original plans and everything. I had inquired about them previously and they sent me their catalog. It works ok but the tires on mine need to be replaced and it vibrates some. I never got around to replacing them and now I have a different bandsaw. Too bad you are so far away or I'd practically give it to you.

Well then.. John doesn't want it, and Stu does.

So Stu - buy it from John, note the "practically give" offer he made? ;) Then have him strip off the important bits (wheels, top tension, table trunions, etc) and ship just those bits to yah along with those all-important plans.

Then you can fab up a steel frame, mount the wheels, find yourself a local motor, and Bob's yer uncle.

Tada.
...art

(for my next trick ... :p)

10-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Well then.. John doesn't want it, and Stu does.

So Stu - buy it from John, note the "practically give" offer he made? ;) Then have him strip off the important bits (wheels, top tension, table trunions, etc) and ship just those bits to yah along with those all-important plans.

Then you can fab up a steel frame, mount the wheels, find yourself a local motor, and Bob's yer uncle.

Tada.
...art

(for my next trick ... :p)

Sure I would be interested in a deal like that, but what you suggest, is a fair amount of work for Bob, he'd have to tear that thing apart and then he would have to get rid of the mess etc. I'd not ask him to do that for next to nothing, no way. I'd rather buy the parts new, and have Bob give, or practically give the saw, as a functioning unit, to some up and coming guy who needs/wants a BS, but has limited funds, you know, some young married guy who would really benefit from it.

Cheers!