PDA

View Full Version : Links in signatures

Ken Salisbury
10-05-2006, 6:09 AM
Recently I have had to edit quite a few signatures to remove direct links. The Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) prohibit links of any kind in your signature. Please edit your signature to remove any links by going to your User CP and click on "edit signature".

"Your Friendly Moderator"

Don Baer
10-11-2006, 1:08 AM
Ken,
I realise that these are in violation to the TOS but namy folks are so anxous to become SMC members they my not take the time to fully read the TOU. Why nmnot send them a friendly E Mail or PM.

Ken Salisbury
10-11-2006, 1:26 AM
Ken,
I realise that these are in violation to the TOS but namy folks are so anxous to become SMC members they my not take the time to fully read the TOU. Why nmnot send them a friendly E Mail or PM rather then use your Iron fist to delete them. Some times a little tact is better then an Iron fist.

I edit their signature put a reason in the "last edited by" line. E-mails would be additional work. Just stop and think we (the moderators) had 14,125 new posts in September. Reviewing that many posts is work enough without having to add more.

Mike Wenzloff
10-11-2006, 1:53 AM
Another issue which I have come to realize about the TOS which each member has agreed to is the whom we have entered into agreement with:

SawMill Creek is wholly owned by Hampton Roads Online Ltd.
Keith W. Outten Jr. President
Hampton Roads Online Ltd.
1213-H Geo. Washington Memorial Highway
Yorktown, VA. 23693

If nothing else, this may well be another reason that the TOS needs updating. Once Hampton Roads Online went away, is this really a binding agreement for either side of the owner/membership equation?

Moot point, maybe. But this should be amended in lieu of actual TOS changes.

Take care, Mike

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-11-2006, 1:56 AM
I edit their signature put a reason in the "last edited by" line. E-mails would be additional work. Just stop and think we (the moderators) had 14,125 new posts in September. Reviewing that many posts is work enough without having to add more.

I resent the "iron fist" remark. Comments like that are not warranted by you or anyone else.

Why don't you guys add some new mods?

Seems like with the rapid growth of the creek, you hard working mods need some back up...?

I'm sure that you could find some good people here that would help you out.

10-11-2006, 1:59 AM
Another issue which I have come to realize about the TOS which each member has agreed to is the whom we have entered into agreement with:

SawMill Creek is wholly owned by Hampton Roads Online Ltd.
Keith W. Outten Jr. President
Hampton Roads Online Ltd.
1213-H Geo. Washington Memorial Highway
Yorktown, VA. 23693

If nothing else, this may well be another reason that the TOS needs updating. Once Hampton Roads Online went away, is this really a binding agreement for either side of the owner/membership equation?

Take care, Mike

Huh, that is funny Mike, I've read the TOS recently, several times, I've even printed it out, but I missed that point, good catch!

Cheers!

Ken Salisbury
10-11-2006, 6:04 AM

Take care, Mike

Aaron is working on a TOS update.

There is no need what so ever in bringing this issue up again. Like Keith said in a recent post:

"Anyone who is dissatisfied with the way things are done around here should move on or adjust to the way things are done here. Your other option is to wait for me to adjust your account status to "Guest" which won't take long at the pace you are moving."

You would do yourself a favor by paying heed to Keith's warning.

10-11-2006, 6:37 AM
Aaron is working on a TOS update.

There is no need what so ever in bringing this issue up again. Like Keith said in a recent post:

"Anyone who is dissatisfied with the way things are done around here should move on or adjust to the way things are done here. Your other option is to wait for me to adjust your account status to "Guest" which won't take long at the pace you are moving."

You would do yourself a favor by paying heed to Keith's warning.

Ken, excuse me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a threat....?

Ken Salisbury
10-11-2006, 6:57 AM
Ken, excuse me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a threat....?

Categorize it as you like.-they are Keith's words and he is the boss.

Due to the recent disruptions/discontent/personal bashing/complaining/and deviation from what this forum is intended to be, causes us to do what is necessary to bring some sense resonability back.

"Criticizm is prejudice made plausible" -- H.L. Mencken

10-11-2006, 7:11 AM
Categorize it as you like.

Due to the recent disruptions/discontent/personal bashing/complaining/and deviation from what this forum is intended to be, causes us to do what is necessary to bring some sense resonability back.

"Criticizm is prejudice made plausible" -- H.L. Mencken

No sir, I'm not calling it a threat, I'm asking if you meant it to be one, if you did.......... well, I guess people can just find somewhere else to hang there hat eh?

Cheers!

Ken Salisbury
10-11-2006, 7:38 AM
No sir, I'm not calling it a threat, I'm asking if you meant it to be one, if you did.......... well, I guess people can just find somewhere else to hang there hat eh?

Cheers!

Now you get it Stu

Cheers back at ya.

Ken Salisbury
10-11-2006, 7:40 AM
If nothing else, this may well be another reason that the TOS needs updating.

Take care, Mike

I sent you a PM on this issue. It is best we handle this privately.

10-11-2006, 7:43 AM
Now you get it Stu

Cheers back at ya.
I got it a while back Ken, I just wanted you to be clear about what you are saying, so no one can cry foul when you ban them for complaining.

Cheers!

Aaron Koehl
10-11-2006, 10:43 AM
We're looking into that as an option.. it's a long process.

Frank Pellow
10-11-2006, 6:19 PM
We're looking into that as an option.. it's a long process.
Aaron, is the it that you are looking at as an option 'links in signatures'? :confused:

Mark Pruitt
10-12-2006, 1:49 PM

Seems like with the rapid growth of the creek, you hard working mods need some back up...?

I think that this comment by Stu might have been overshadowed by other comments in this thread. Those of you who serve as our moderators, given the growth of SMC it might be a healthy thing for you to add persons who can sholder some of your responsibility. Maybe you're already working towards that. But I wanted to highlight what Stu said because I am strongly of the belief that self-care is critical for anyone who serves in a leadership role, whatever the venue.

...And, I realize that this deviates somewhat (though not entirely) from the original post, still I felt like it needed to be said.

Mark

Aaron Koehl
10-12-2006, 2:19 PM
Aaron, is the it that you are looking at as an option 'links in signatures'? :confused:

It refers to Stu's post about adding more moderators. We're currently shuffling some of the ways we do things, and that's one of the items I'm looking into.

10-12-2006, 3:17 PM
It refers to Stu's post about adding more moderators. We're currently shuffling some of the ways we do things, and that's one of the items I'm looking into.

Aaron, thank you for the clarification. I used to mod on a bike forum, and I KNOW it can be a taxing job.

Cheers!

Damien Falgoust
10-12-2006, 6:08 PM
Recently I have had to edit quite a few signatures to remove direct links. The Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) prohibit links of any kind in your signature. Just a quick note -- The TOS also prohibits "engaging in religious or political debate." And yet this particular signature is repeatedly permitted to be used:

I will remind you that while the murder of civilians is and remains an anomaly in American military history, it is the jihadists' way of life. -- Michelle Malkin I do not wish to debate the truth or falsity of the above statement. I just wish to point out its political and religious nature, particularly since it comes from a pundit who can best be described as "Ann Coulter lite."

Jim O'Dell
10-12-2006, 8:39 PM

Stu, I'll take that a little step forward...Why don't we ALL do a little bit of the moderator's work? I'm sure we could all start with our own posts! If we did a good job there, then the existing Mods work load would be a lot lighter. ;)

I appreciate the level headed posts that most of our members make, and I applaud our Mods and forum owners for the tireless, and increasingly thankless job that they do. Not many people would take the beating that they have taken lately, and still show up for work! I think I'll go change my signature line. Jim.

Jim Becker
10-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Jim raises a very good and wise point...every member of the SMC community is in reality a moderator. Just because you can't directly deal with an issue, doesn't mean you can't report something (using the appropriate click on the triangle with the little exclaimation point at the top of every post) and advise the folks who do have physical moderation capability of the situation. I received three such messages today...and although I was not in a position to deal with them, I know they were taken care of.

Dennis Peacock
10-12-2006, 11:28 PM
I agree with Jim O. and Jim B. Everyone can do their part and some members do just that. It's a help to us as moderators and things get reviewed with due diligence.

Watchya say we move on along and get back to why we are all here in the first place....woodworking. :D

Damien Falgoust
10-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Stu, is your revised signature a tacit acknowledgment that you are deliberately violating the TOS?

Just wondering.

Matt Meiser
10-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Watchya say we move on along and get back to why we are all here in the first place....woodworking. :D

No, some people apparently don't do woodworking but just post to complain about something.

10-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Stu, is your revised signature a tacit acknowledgment that you are deliberately violating the TOS?

Just wondering.

GEEZ Damien, don't sue me or something, can't you tell I put it up there in JEST...........?

Must have been the Sake I'm drinking ................ :rolleyes:

10-13-2006, 10:22 AM
No, some people apparently don't do woodworking but just post to complain about something.

Must be including yourself in that group Matt, I see ZERO WW content in your post :D

Ken Salisbury
10-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Come on guys - stop attacking one another - it just makes my job harder.

Ken

Gary Whitt
10-19-2006, 3:58 PM
Just stop and think we (the moderators) had 14,125 new posts in September. Reviewing that many posts is work enough without having to add more.
You all actually read EVERY post :confused:

Is it THAT bad :confused:

Ken Salisbury
10-19-2006, 4:18 PM
You all actually read EVERY post :confused:

No, that would be close to impossible unless I wanted to sit in front of my pute all day. I do review (scan) all of the posts for obvious infractions (unauthorized links, invalid names, spam, etc). There are lots of posts I skip over because of who the poster is. After 3 1/2 years of moderating this forum I have come to know those who never violate the rules, those who do it frequently and those who seldom do it. I mainly concentrate on newer members and those who I know have tendencies for testing the rules.

That still takes a long time on a daily basis. I spend 2-3 hours/day 7 days/week doing that . It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

We are in the process of adding additional moderators which will make the job much easier. The names of the new moderators will be announced soon.

Mike Heidrick
11-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Sorry for the infraction. My sig is now Updated. Cheers.

Joash Boyton
11-16-2006, 1:17 AM
Sorry for the infraction. My sig is now Updated. Cheers.
yes, and the same from me