PDA

View Full Version : Buying some Festool

Joe Jensen
10-04-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm going to buy some Festool and I am trying to decide where. I bought my first Festool sander from the local Woodcraft, but they botched the order so badly (took 6 months to get the sander, hose, and paper), that I want to go elsewhere. I read tons of posts on the Web saying to buy from "Uncle" Bob Marino, but I've emailed him twice from his website and once via plain email of the past couple weeks with no response. I was about to order from him online today, and at checkout I saw that he added sales tax. (He is in NY, and I'm in AZ) If I have to pay sales tax, why buy online? Might as well buy local to help the woodcraft stay open. Is there another trusted online seller that doesn't collect sales tax...joe

Steve Rowe
10-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Joe,
If there is a Festool ISA in your state, you will pay your states sales tax regardless where you order.
Steve

Joe Jensen
10-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Joe,
If there is a Festool ISA in your state, you will pay your states sales tax regardless where you order.
Steve

Steve, might be a silly question, what is an ISA?

Erik Rudd
10-04-2006, 11:21 PM
It's a price fixed product line. Buy local, there's no incentive to do otherwise.

Scott Thornton
10-04-2006, 11:22 PM
You will pay tax on any Festool purchase in any state, check it out on festoolusa.com

I would purchase from bobmarinosbesttools.com

I wonder if a SPAM filter got your emails or something, because I've been emailing with Bob for weeks with about every question in the book and he always responded. The good thing about Festool is you'll pay the same price everywhere. I was in a Woodcraft store recently and was going to purchase there, but couldn't get anyone to help me (only reason was to get the tool right then). I decided to email Bob and he helped me...I then made a purchase and had my tools a few days later, worth the wait, I felt that if I have a problem he would be there. Woodcraft, 5 people working in the store, only one knew Festool, he was outside talking to some guy for 35 minutes while I waited, no thanks...

It's also nice to support the guys who participate in our forums, IMHO.

Erik Rudd
10-04-2006, 11:25 PM
The good thing about Festool is you'll pay the same price everywhere.

I don't think that's a good thing at all.

Bruce Delaney
10-04-2006, 11:27 PM
If ordered from woodcraft.com, you don't pay sales tax (at least not with a shipping/billing address in Texas). There is also the added benefit that you can return it within a year for a full refund if you end up not wanting it anymore.

Steve Rowe
10-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Steve, might be a silly question, what is an ISA?
Not a silly question I've just spent too much time in an industry that loves acronyms. ISA = Independent Sales Agent
Steve

Scott Thornton
10-04-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't think that's a good thing at all.

I love the fact that the prices are the same no matter where you purchase them. Reason being is that I know I didn't miss out on a better price somewhere else, saves on shopping around, I get to buy from who provides me the best service, when normally IMHO, better service comes at a cost, I know that two weeks after I purchase a Festool product, it's not going to go on sale...it levels the playing field.

Festool has built a great product and it's available to everyone, at the same cost, level playing field, excellent dealer system...

Dave Falkenstein
10-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Bob Marino typically responds promptly, so please do not give up on him.

Other alternatives:

Buy direct from Festool through their web site.

Buy from McFeely's at http://www.mcfeelys.com/festool/

Buy locally from Woodcraft - but you already know that one.

Buy locally from Woodworker's Source in Phoenix or Tucson.

Buy from any Independent Sales Associate (ISA) or dealer - there is a list of them on the Festool web site.

Steven Evans
10-04-2006, 11:52 PM
I usually order off the festool website. They still give credit to my local shop, I think. My local store is listed on my invoices as the salesman. But rather than drive across town to order and again to pick up I just order online. They have a warehouse in Reno,NV. I usually get orders in two days. I like my local store but they only stock major powertool items and they are about 30 miles away plus they close at 4:30pm.

Dan Clark
10-04-2006, 11:54 PM
I live in Washington. I've purchased from Woodcraft of Seattle, Edensaw Woods in Renton, and Eastside Saw & Sales in Bellevue. All three are great dealers. All three have people with expertise in Festool. Perfect? No. Great? Yes.

I could (and maybe should) have purchased from Bob Marino, but purchased locally because I only purchased when I had an identified need. Unfortunately, I identified the need just prior to buying the saw. I.e., I needed it NOW! (That's my limitation, not any limitation of Festool or Bob.)

Even though I've never purchased from Bob, I've written to him multiple times with questions. He has always answered quickly. And, he knows that I will probably buy locally to get instant delivery.

He is EXTREMELY knowledgable and a good guy to deal with. By all means, if you have a Festool dealer locally and you feel more comfortable buying from them, go for it.

If you want or need to buy online, Bob's the guy!

Regards,

Dan.

Dan Clark
10-04-2006, 11:55 PM
If ordered from woodcraft.com, you don't pay sales tax (at least not with a shipping/billing address in Texas). There is also the added benefit that you can return it within a year for a full refund if you end up not wanting it anymore.

Bruce,

I believe Woodcraft terminated that policy in June or July. Check it out.

Regards,

Dan.

Bruce Delaney
10-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Bruce,

I believe Woodcraft terminated that policy in June or July. Check it out.

Regards,

Dan.

Dan,

I can't say for sure but I just went to woodcraft.com, added the MFT-1080 to my basket, went through the entire checkout process, short of actually clicking the 'place order' button. The total cost had no sales tax component.

Dan Clark
10-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Dan,

I can't say for sure but I just went to woodcraft.com, added the MFT-1080 to my basket, went through the entire checkout process, short of actually clicking the 'place order' button. The total cost had no sales tax component.

Bruce,

I was referring to the 1-year return policy.

I think the sales tax issue refers to whether or not a company has a local branch in the state. And, it may depend on the company.

Regards,

Dan.

Bruce Delaney
10-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Bruce,

I was referring to the 1-year return policy.

I think the sales tax issue refers to whether or not a company has a local branch in the state. And, it may depend on the company.

Regards,

Dan.

I can't seem to find any information on the Woodcraft site about their return policy, so perhaps you are right.

As for sales tax, woodcraft.com only charges sales tax when shipping to addresses in WV, VA, MA. So this may well be the only method to buy Festool without having to pay sales tax (unless you live in WV, VA, or MA of course).

To be sure, I don't mean to discourage anyone to order from a local dealer or say, Bob Marino. The extra service they can provide before and after the sale may be well worth the extra cost (which, in the case of sales tax, they don't get to keep).

Jim Dailey
10-05-2006, 1:06 AM
Hi Joe,

As everyone has stated all Festool prices are the same regardless of source, however I believe if you order directly form Festool USA they add something like a $10 service charge....

As for "Uncle Bob".... I originally like you contacted him to see if there was a way to avoid the sales tax.... Since then I have placed multiple orders with Bob Marino, one again this week. He has not only been prompt, he has for example this week emailed me back the same evening as I placed the order via email in the late afternoon....., He has even in the past emailed me over weekends, called me back not only quickly but if memory serves correct well after he was "off the clock" on the east coast with guests at his house 'cause I needed to get the order in do to jobs in the works..... Sent an item I forgot on an order, said "just drop a check in the mail....."!!!!! I have several more exceptional examples of service well outside of the "norm"......

I'm not sure why you've had a problem reaching him, but for me it has been his service both before... during... and after the sale that has me following up again & again. The price is the same everywhere, that is unless you buy direct... service, knowledge does make a difference.

Hope this helps, jim

Joe Jensen
10-05-2006, 1:56 AM
Bob has been emailing me since this post and it looks like it was my corp email filter that has tripped up the communications. Bob is clearly a gentleman we traded emails, and the fact that he didn't post on this thread is further indication...joe

Norman Hitt
10-05-2006, 2:32 AM
Dan,

I sure don't know how you got away with that, because we have woodcraft stores in Texas, and any business that has a store or sales outlet or representative in Tx must collect and pay the sales tax to the state of Tx. Everything I have ordered from Woodcraft.com always included Tx state sls tax.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-05-2006, 4:42 AM
I vote for Bob as well, nice guy, and all I hear is great things about his speedy and good service!

Joe Blankshain
10-05-2006, 8:03 AM
Uncle Bob gets my vote as well. Good service, very knowledgeable and an all around nice guy.

Brian Buckley
10-05-2006, 8:12 AM
I have a story about what a class act Bob Marino is. Last January I was visiting my brother in Honolulu. We had visited the local Woodcraft to play with all of the Festool Products they had on Display. I told my brother about all of the Festool products I had purchased from Bob and the great service he provided.
I then decided to buy my brother a saw, drill and some other items totaling about $1200.00. Called Bob In NJ and asked him to ship the order to Honolulu. His response was "Brian you can save a lot of money on freight if you purchase from the Woodcraft in Honolulu". This was a first for me. A sales agent passing up a sale to save "ME" money.
Bob will get my business regardless of sales tax, freight or any other price differences. You will not run into a guy like this many times in your life.

Brian

Tyler Howell
10-05-2006, 8:25 AM
Uncle Bob's my main tool snob pusher!!:cool:
Great stuff, Great service.

John Renzetti
10-05-2006, 8:26 AM
Just have to add my good comments about Bob Marino. Great person to deal with both ordering from his website or in person. Takes the time to explain things. He spent a good bit of time with a friend of mine at the IWF discussing the Domino.
There's a real good Festool Group over at Yahoo that Matt Schenker started and runs. Bob participates there with good information.
take care,
John

Marvin Ewing
10-05-2006, 8:49 AM
Woodcraft now has a 90 day return .There were a lot of people using items for 11 months then returning

Bruce Delaney
10-05-2006, 9:09 AM
I sure don't know how you got away with that, because we have woodcraft stores in Texas, and any business that has a store or sales outlet or representative in Tx must collect and pay the sales tax to the state of Tx. Everything I have ordered from Woodcraft.com always included Tx state sls tax.

Norman,

It's nothing "to get away with". The Woodcraft stores in Texas and the woodcraft.com outfit are not related other than by name, hence why the sales tax collection requirement does not apply. The people at woodcraft.com clarified this upon asking (I was curious as well).

Norman Hitt
10-07-2006, 2:45 AM
Norman,

It's nothing "to get away with". The Woodcraft stores in Texas and the woodcraft.com outfit are not related other than by name, hence why the sales tax collection requirement does not apply. The people at woodcraft.com clarified this upon asking (I was curious as well).

Boy, I guess I'll have to see if I can find any of my old invoices from them and find out what was going on then, because I sure paid Tx Sls tax. I wonder if they credited the store in FTW and showed the sale through them or something. Oh well, not a big deal, just curious. (Probably could make two projects before I could find the invoices anyhow). :rolleyes: :D

Doug Shepard
10-07-2006, 8:12 AM
Norman,

This must be something fairly recent. The times I've ordered online from them in the past, they've collected MI sales tax on the order because of their MI retail stores. It's been a year or so since my last online order from them, so maybe this has changed ?

Bruce Delaney
10-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Norman, Doug,

This is interesting. I have ordered several items via woodcraft.com (IIRC, the last time sometime in 2005) and never got charged sales tax. The sales tax policy is also well-explained on their website http://www.woodcraft.com/custserv.aspx#3. I suppose you could always give them a call to get further clarification. If it saves you from having to pay sales tax on your order, it would certainly be worth it.