PDA

View Full Version : Firestorm Router and removing collet?

Scott Horvath
10-04-2006, 9:38 PM
Sorry if I'm sounding like an idiot here. I've purchased my first router ever, I have just a few bits that are 1/4 inch shanks, and my router (B&D Firestorm) has a 1/2 collet already inside of the nut. I'm assuming that in order to use my 1/4 shanks, I need to somehow remove the 1/2 collet and replace it with the 1/4 collet that B&D also provided with my router. But I must be stupid b/c I have NO CLUE how to remove the collet from the nut? Twisting, pulling, shaking...nothing works. Nothing in the manual except "we provide a 1/2 and 1/4 inch collet".

Am I stupid? I don't think that shoving the 1/4 collet through the top of the nut into the 1/2 collet is the right thing to do either...considering it doesn't seem safe.

Help please! :confused::confused::confused:
Scott

Steve Rowe
10-04-2006, 9:46 PM
Scott, I don't have a Firestorm but have a number of different brands. With the router bit removed you just just continue to unscrew the collet nut until the nut and the collet comes out, then you can screw the other size in.
Steve

Scott Horvath
10-04-2006, 9:51 PM
well, i completely unscrew the nut and the 1/2 collet is still inside it. Shake the collet nut and you can hear it wiggle it. It only comes with one nut and two collets (one of which is already inside of the nut).

I wouldn't think that it would be that difficult to switch out the collets...but that's what it seems like so far...to me at least. Any other ideas that might work?

Steve Clardy
10-04-2006, 9:58 PM
Thats probably a single split tapered collet similiar to the small pc trim router.

IF, a big IF, the edge of the collet sticks out a tad from the shaft, lay the router on its side, take a old flat blade screwdriver or dull chisel and lightly knock it loose with a hammer.
Its tapered, so lightly hitting it will loosen it.

Be careful and don't hit the threads on the shaft:eek: :D

Scott Horvath
10-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah it does stick out a bit past the bottom of the nut. Here's a picture of it: http://home.comcast.net/~shorvath/images/collet.jpg

So putting that on it's side and tapping it with a flat-head would probably do the trick, right?

Steve Clardy
10-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Yes it should. That has four splits.
Or a pair of pliers, gently not to crush it

Steve Clardy
10-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Woo. Hang on. Will the 1/4 slide into the present 1/2" collet?
That may be a bushing.

Steve Rowe
10-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Scott - that looks more like a 1/4" bushing which should just slip inside the 1/2" collet.
Steve

Scott Horvath
10-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Well, I thought about that. It goes about half way in but 1) I was afraid that it would get permanently stuck in there and 2) that it wasn't safe and it might just fly out in the middle of running it? Here's another picture:

http://home.comcast.net/~shorvath/images/collet2a.jpg

Is that a bushing?

Steve Clardy
10-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Yes. Both Steve and I believe it is a bushing. Just slide, tap it in there.

I have one similiar for a 1/4" bit for a pc. It just slides into the 1/2 collet

Scott Horvath
10-04-2006, 10:24 PM
I guess must have been stupid then :(. Like I said...it's my first router...never seen this before. I thought I might've been going crazy. I'll tap it in as far it'll go and go from there.

Thanks...Steves

Steve Rowe
10-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Scott - Glad to help. It concerns me a little that it is hanging up half way in. You really shouldn't have to tap it in. I have a few bushings and they slide in and out easily. Check for burrs on the bushing or collet.
Steve