PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple HF

Don Fuss
10-04-2006, 8:42 PM
I was minding my own business in Woodcraft last weekend when all of a sudden a Sorby midi hollowmaster and this hunk of Maple ended up in my Jeep. SWMBO wanted me to make a simple oval shaped cross section HF with no collar and a small hole out of it, so I whipped out my new hollowmaster and went to work. Hollowing with that thing is a dream compared to my old scraper. Everything went great until I went to part it off and it separated from the glue block at the joint and fell hard on the lathe bed, marring the finish in 4 places. Figures. :mad: I showed the side that wasn't scuffed.

I appreciate all criticism and advice.

Andy Hoyt
10-04-2006, 8:50 PM
Absolutely wonderful, Don.

The finish looks exceptional.

Corey Hallagan
10-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Don, you rocked that one out for sure. Beautiful piece and I love the finish!

Corey

Sean Troy
10-04-2006, 10:49 PM
It does look wonderful. Just out of curiosity, why no collar?

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Don that is a beauty. Finish looks like glass. Is it Waterlox? Nice job.

Mark Pruitt
10-05-2006, 8:27 AM
Excellent job Don! I'd like to see it "up close" some time.

Mark

Tom Sherman
10-05-2006, 9:04 AM
Don that is a very nice piece bummer about it seperating from the glue block. Looks like you have the learning curve for the HM tamed hope I can be so lucky with the one I just got.

Don Fuss
10-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Sean: I personally prefer the look of a collar, but the LOML wanted this one without. She bought the hunk of wood for me so I asked her to design it how she wanted.

Bernie: The finish is 2 coats of Boiled Linseed Oil and 6 very thin coats of wipe on polyurethane. I'm going to buff it with wax once I repair the scuffs.

Tom: Despite the bad words about the Hollowmaster, I decided to get it anyway. The price was too tempting with the Woodcraft sale. I found it to be very easy to use and it produces smooth shavings for me. I discovered that it's all about the location of the tool rest and the angle of the scraper tip in relation to the piece. The closer to center it is, the smoother the cut seems to be. It's not nearly as forgiving as the scraper I used to use.

Keith Burns
10-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Don, this is a great looking piece.:) :) You have hit the nail on the head with your form and finish. The piece works great without a collar.