PDA

View Full Version : Just a plain cabinet design; but some pretty good wood

John Huber
10-04-2006, 8:22 PM
This cabinet or armoire is made of maple, quilted maple veneer, and walnut. The carcass is Baltic birch plwood. The veneer is from JoeWoodworker and the hardware pulls are from LeeValley. The finish is David Marks'
http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/What_is_the_mix_ratio_for_the_Linseed_Oil_Tung_Oil _and_Urethane_46687.asp

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

PS The finish is a shade or two darker in these images than on the piece itself.

Jim Becker
10-04-2006, 8:57 PM
"Pretty Good Wood"????????????? Sheesh!! Outstanding material and a very nice project piece, John.

Ben Roman
10-04-2006, 9:59 PM
Great work !!

Art Mulder
10-04-2006, 10:56 PM
This cabinet or armoire is made of maple, quilted maple veneer, and walnut. The carcass is Baltic birch plwood.
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I like the quilting. Nice piece of veneer. Very consistent over the whole piece. And the walnut makes a good contrast with the maple.

I, personally, would not have chosen a piano hinge, but that's my own preferance.

How are the doors held closed?

thanks for sharing.
...art

John Fry
10-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Very nice, John.

You used a lot of "wild" wood on this piece, but it is not over done in any way. In fact, with this much quilted maple, the walnut trim work does a great job in a "frame and contain" sort of way and that's what gives it the "just right" look. I REALLY like the bead line framework for the veneer on the drawer fronts, this is not only an attractive design, but smart engineering. The woods all go well with each other and you used just the right amount of contrasting wood and thats what makes the design work so well.

The ONLY thing I might have done differently would be to choose a more subtle hinge.

Great work, I really like your piece.

Alex Shanku
10-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Awesome!! I really like it!! I would love to find some maple that quilted to make a table top with!

Steven Evans
10-04-2006, 11:56 PM
I wish I had some pretty good stock laying around my shop. Awesome design and work. Really highlights the wood. Without the design of the unit fighting for attention.

John Huber
10-05-2006, 9:46 AM
Choosing a piano hinge was a compromise. The downside is that it does detract from the wood being the focus of the design. The upside is that having a lot of holes to work with, it is easier to align the doors for a very small clearance at the 1/32" gap between their mating edges and the 1/32" gaps at top and bottom. It took three tries to get them where I wanted them.

I'm using rare earth magnets as closures.

Steve Clardy
10-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Looks great!

Neil Lamens
10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi John:

So glad to see your work, again.

Your passion for woodworking that has instilled a desire that continually tests and demands more of your skills is very very admirable. You kicked it up a knotch, man!!!

Great job, John!!!.......I love it............what's on the back burner???.

Neil

Jay Knoll
10-05-2006, 11:18 AM
WHOA! That is wonderful, love the wood and the design,

Thanks for the post and the inspiration

Jay

Al Willits
10-05-2006, 1:45 PM
Pretty impressive for just a "plain cabinet design"... nice, very nice.

Al

Wes Bischel
10-05-2006, 3:05 PM
Usually it's the "plain" designs that are the hardest to make look right. Beautiful work!

Wes

Dave Ray
10-05-2006, 6:01 PM
Looks great John......where you been? Missed looking at your work.