PDA

View Full Version : What's the best bowl lathe for $2000 or less?

Ben Rafael
10-04-2006, 6:58 PM
The Nova dvr Xp looks good. I cant see ever turning a log bigger than that thing can handle and I absolutely hate changing belts. Is there something better for less?

Kurt Rosenzweig
10-04-2006, 7:21 PM
A used 3520 if you can find one! :D If not i'd save a little longer and get a new one. Just my opinion but I think it,s the best bang for the buck and your almost there. Try the The tool nut for the best price.

Paul Downes
10-04-2006, 7:40 PM
I would take a hard look at Grizzly's new variable speed lathe. I noticed that they made several improvements like going with a standard spindle thread pitch. (that makes it easier to put fancy off-the-shelf chucks on it) I think I remember this new lathe weighs in around 600 lbs.
Sure, I'd rather have a Powermatic, or one of them other big name monsters that Bill Gumbine and them other addicted turners have......but I have to feed the brood of kids I have that sometimes resemble the Mongol hoard....:D I think the griz goes for $1300 or $1600.

Mike Vickery
10-04-2006, 8:01 PM
The Nova price went up a while ago as far as I know they are running over $2k

I was looking in this price range for a while and the best new lathe under 2k in my opinion was the Jet 1642 2 HP 220V. With the Nova make sure to add the price for a solid stand to your total.

If you can find a good deal on a used machine their are plenty of good machines in the under 2K range.

Ben Rafael
10-04-2006, 8:09 PM
The Nova is on sale at woodcraft for $2k.

John Shuk
10-04-2006, 8:12 PM
The Jet 1642 comes up alot in that price range. Very highly thought of amongst owners.

Sean Troy
10-04-2006, 8:26 PM
I would highly recommend saving the few extra dollars and get the Powermatic 3520. You would not regret it as you might with a lesser lathe.

Don Baer
10-04-2006, 8:57 PM
I have been eyeing the PM it seems to be comming in around $2500.

Charles McKinley
10-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi B,

Search for the thread of Bill Grumbines for his student lathe. I think he went with the Vega, but don't quote me on that. I'm also not sure what it is selling for at the moment. I know that there was a lot of input given on that thread and price was one of the considerations among others.

Good luck in your search.

Wood web also has a nice classified section for used stuff.

Gary DeWitt
10-05-2006, 3:11 AM
I'm getting a General 25-650 16" from Eagle Tools in Glendale CA for around $1750 in the next few days. Has 3 ranges and electronic variable speed, moveable HS all the way down to the end of the ways that rotates too, 1.5 HP 110v motor. Seems to be well liked by the owners I contacted, and looks like the best feature set for the price.

Vaughn McMillan
10-05-2006, 4:01 AM
I'm getting a General 25-650 16" from Eagle Tools in Glendale CA for around $1750 in the next few days.
That's a nice-looking lathe, Gary. I don't think I've seen that one before. Looks like good bang for the bucks. I've been eyeing lathes in about the same range, with the DVR one of the contenders. No real chance of actually buying one in the foreseeable future, but I've been trying to learn what's out there.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-05-2006, 4:35 AM
I have the Nova DVR 3000 and just love it, sure I'd like a PM monster, but the shipping would have killed me to Japan (as it was the shipping for the DVR was not cheap!). I think the DVR, with a stout stand is a great lathe, and it is very well made, not that the others are poorly made!

For me space was also an issue, and the DVR fit in my space very well.

This new General lathe sound very good also.

Cheers!

Mark Pruitt
10-05-2006, 8:19 AM
I'm getting a General 25-650 16" from Eagle Tools in Glendale CA for around $1750 in the next few days.
Gary,
Nice way to hide a gloat!:p :p :p

I understand that that particular machine comes with a large "panic button" that you can mount anywhere you wish. Looks like you got a good deal too.

Gary DeWitt
10-05-2006, 10:37 AM
A master at the drive by, heh heh. Learned in the old days on alt.woodturning newsgroup.:D
I like the panic button too, should save on underwear!

John Shuk
10-05-2006, 2:32 PM
I've not used a Vega. That said if you are looking for a bowl lathe I think the configuration that allows you to stand in front of the piece (Vega, Stubby, VB) is a really good choice. A headstock that slides to the end of the lathe works pretty well but I think if you don't plan on doing alot of spindles a bowl turning lathe is a great choice. Here is a link. In my eyes not the prettiest but it seems to do the job for the esteemed Mr. Grumbine. John Milunas has a Vega as well I think.
http://www.factorynew.com/detail.aspx?Recnum=LC-300006

Andy Hoyt
10-05-2006, 3:00 PM
That General looks mighty nice, Gary. Price seems good, too. I'm looking forward to your assessment.

Here's a used Chevyvegethingamabob (http://www.mainewoodturners.org/html/stuff_for_sale.html). Price is right, but the shipping would be painful.

Frank Fusco
10-05-2006, 3:40 PM
I would take a hard look at Grizzly's new variable speed lathe. I noticed that they made several improvements like going with a standard spindle thread pitch. (that makes it easier to put fancy off-the-shelf chucks on it) I think I remember this new lathe weighs in around 600 lbs.
Sure, I'd rather have a Powermatic, or one of them other big name monsters that Bill Gumbine and them other addicted turners have......but I have to feed the brood of kids I have that sometimes resemble the Mongol hoard....:D I think the griz goes for $1300 or $1600.

I was in Grizzly just this Sunday and took a hard look at their new lathes. I'm sorely tempted to 'downgrade' to one of their new, under $400 models. Have everything anyone could ask, except a low-low speed. They weigh in at about 200 pounds.

Frank Kobilsek
10-05-2006, 4:08 PM
I got to add another vote for the Jet 1642. I have own mine since August 2004 and finally stalled it for the first time last month. I had a piece 15" dia and about 12" thick cherry and I was jamming the Woodcut bowl coring tool into it, maybe a little more aggresive than I should have. Mine is the 120V VS version. Under $2K its the best deal out there.

If I was going to reserve the Jet for small and spindle work and could just buy a 'bowl' lathe, I do like the VEGA, made in Illinois. Never tried just I like the idea.

Frank

Fred Floyd
10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
I have the Jet 1642 -2hp. After 2 yrs, I haven't found much wrong with it. With a 16" swing, I can use the Oneway Jumbo Jaws and still hold a bowl or platter in excess of 14" in diameter.

I haven't put any additional weight on the base. Still no vibration even on blanks that are wildly out of round (below 600rpm).

In the low range, you can turn as slow as 60 rpm. Infinite variable speed and reverse are highly sought-after features. 2hp is plenty of power for most things.

At the time of purchase, the other choices were a PM3520 at about $2700 and a Oneway. For a first lathe, I think I made the right choice. Any shortcomings in my finished projects are not due to the lathe but rather the user.

Corey Hallagan
10-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Congrats Gary! The new Generals look sweet, including the mini which would now be my dream lathe :) Of course a post with pics is due in short time!

Corey