PDA

View Full Version : Getting UNscrewed

Bob Childress
10-04-2006, 3:54 PM
Hey folks,

I'm want to remove an old side-bolt deadbolt lock from a door but it is attached with these "one-way-only" flat head screws (like the rest room stalls in many commercial establishments). Anybody know how to get those suckers out? I've tried drilling but the lock seems to be some kind of tough metal that the drill barely scratches. Is there a specific tool for this? Do I have to cut it out? Or maybe my big Milwaukee hammer drill? All suggestions welcome. :confused:

Jim DeLaney
10-04-2006, 4:24 PM
Yeah, there's a tool for it. Grainger has them, but they're pretty pricey for a one-time use. I think I paid aroung $45.00 for a set of them about five years ago.

tod evans
10-04-2006, 4:35 PM
bob, any good fastener house should stock the driver/removal bits. the local one i use does but they`re not franchized and don`t offer an internet presence.....you could call the closest fastenall and if you get good counter help they`ll know of what you speak....02 tod

Dave Richards
10-04-2006, 4:38 PM
Can you cut slots in the screws with a little cut off wheel in a Dremel tool? Then you could use a flat bladed screwdriver on 'em.

Matt Warfield
10-04-2006, 5:14 PM
We use those one way tamper proof screws here at work. The removal tool has two sharp points that bite the ramps of the screw head when turned counter clockwise. I would go the route of the dremel or drill a hole for an easy out.

Bob Childress
10-04-2006, 5:23 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I found the tool, but at $25 that comes to about $8.00 a screw. :eek: I will try the Dremel, but I am not optimistic since the screws are recessed. I may end up just having to drill them out, but my drill has so far made very little headway against the one I started on. I hoped to drill a hole deep enough to insert a screw extractor (which I do have) but they meant for this lock to stay put. :( Or maybe I have a crummy drill bit.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-04-2006, 6:24 PM
The dremel may be the easiest way.
Or try a good smallish cold chisel I've had lots of success just whacking a chisel into bolt and screw heads in the right rotation.

Joe Pelonio
10-04-2006, 6:30 PM
Those are usually hardened stainless steel and hard to drill. You may have to spend some money at least for a new carbide drill bit. Might be easier to change the whole door.

Mark Pruitt
10-04-2006, 7:23 PM
I will try the Dremel, but I am not optimistic since the screws are recessed.
Wear the Dremel wheel down a bit first. The smaller its diameter, the deeper you can safely cut your slot.

Tim Morton
10-04-2006, 8:44 PM
a couple things come to mind here...could you tack weld a small bar to the screw and then back that out with a drill? Or just buy the bit and then resell it on ebay...you might make a profit?:D

Robert Mickley
10-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Smoke wrench will take it out in short order :D Yeah I know I'm no help :rolleyes:

Vaughn McMillan
10-05-2006, 4:13 AM
Another vote for the Dremel solution...it's bailed me out a few times in similar situations.

Bob Childress
10-05-2006, 7:45 AM
Cliff! Using a cold chisel and center punch I was able to "walk" one of the screws around enough to clear the surface of the lock, then a vise-grip and out! Took about 10 minutes but now that I know it works I think I can get the rest that way.

If I run into any more of these little buggers I think I will invest in the right tool. They are a PITA.

Thanks for all the suggestions! That's what makes the Creek great.:)