PDA

View Full Version : Odd Power Failure

Joe Pelonio
10-04-2006, 3:25 PM
I just had the power blink off for a second or two. I have both computers, the plotter and laser on APC backup. Normally when that happens it saves any files I am working on and shuts down the PCs until it's back, but on both the plotter and laser there's not sufficient backup so I lose they both
stop and reboot, ruining the jobs that were running. This time, the plotter did that, had to waste about 8' of 24" vinyl. The laser though, just kept going! All of the jobs I had sent to it were still in memory and the engraving I was doing looks fine. The computer driving it, like the other one, had sounded the alarm, saved the file and rebooted. Figure that one out.:confused:

Dave Jones
10-04-2006, 6:49 PM
No idea if this is what happened to you, but I once had a similar experience. Most buildings have 2 phases of AC feeding in (normal houses and offices, not the 3 phases that many industrial buildings have). Typically half the outlets are on the one phase and 1/2 are on the other. And anything needing 220 volts uses both.

The blink I had caused the power to go out on one AC line but not the other, causing 1/2 of my computer UPS supplies to go into panic mode while the others didn't know anything had happened.

Bruce Volden
10-04-2006, 7:20 PM
Joe,

What size UPS are you using for the laser??? I talked extensively with APC long ago and they suggested a filtered AC regulator so that's what I've been using for years now!!! If I can put the laser on a UPS I would be ecstatic!!! How long will it hold power, if only 5 minutes that's leaps and strides from what I was told :( Tell me ALL!!

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
10-04-2006, 8:03 PM
Sorry Bruce, but the UPS doesn't hold the laser at all, it's only the PC that it holds 5 minutes. If you find one that will let me know too.

Dave, the laser and the PC are both connected to the same UPC so it seems that if one went out they both would??

Dave Jones
10-04-2006, 8:52 PM
True.

Must have been ghosts then. (lol)