PDA

View Full Version : the Dump

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-04-2006, 1:39 PM
Remember when you could go to the dump and shove any old thing off the tail gate of the pick'emup??

I have been trying to get rid of books. That's right hard cover books. Thousands of them.
I take 'em here and they are closed I go there and they don't take those things on that day. Someone even wanted me to tear the backs off all of 'em before dropping 'em off.

I'm all for recycling but stripping the covers off thousands of books isn't my idea of environmental responsibility.

I may just borrow a back hoe and dig a deep hole for them in my back 40.

Steve Clardy
10-04-2006, 1:42 PM
Thats what I do on my back 31.
Have a backhoe dig a hole every few years. Use it as a burn pit till it won't hold anymore. Cover it up and do it again.

Jim O'Dell
10-04-2006, 2:06 PM
If you can find the right outlet, many of the restaurant chains decorate with books and will buy them. my inlaws bought a complete, but outdated, set of lawbooks many years ago, but never could find the right outlet to sell them. Jim.

Matt Warfield
10-04-2006, 2:42 PM
Sounds like a good reason to have a bon-fire. Know any friends that need kindling for their fireplace or woodburning stove? Nothing like reading the fire...or was that reading a book on fire? :D

You can also take them to a consignment auction and be happy to get $1.00 a box. Getting people to pay for your garbage - there isn't much better than that. :D Just as long as my mom doesn't end up with them!! :eek: Just a hint of what I mean, she once bought 137 watermelons at an auction...because they were cheap. Another time it was 540 lbs of tomatos.

Anyway, there are options other than the dump. But if auction service, local book club, or library doesn't want them, contact a college fraternity as I'm sure they'd love to burn 'em. It is the season for homecoming football games!!

Joe Pelonio
10-04-2006, 3:21 PM
Most of the public libraries have a "friends of the library" that will have periodic booksales, and welcome donations of used books. Also, many book stores that sell used books will take them off your hands and give you a dollar or two apiece for them. We've never had trouble finding someone to take them.

As for the dump, or "transfer station" as we call them here, just box them up and put the boxes into trash bags and no one will notice what you left until well after you are gone.

Frank Fusco
10-04-2006, 3:27 PM
The public library was my thought also. Our local Friends of the Library contribute a nice chunk of money each year from sales of used books. Don't destroy. Last resort, take to a flea market and sell. You'll probably get about $1.00 each.

Ed Frie
10-04-2006, 3:33 PM
I will second Joe's comments about the Friends of the Library option. My wife is very involved with our chapter. They get lots of donations of books, some get sold in the store they have next to the library, some are given to the library as "circulating books", some are sold on ebay, some go to the yearly Book Sale and I suppose some get discarded. Our FOL store sells $150-200 a day in books at a dollar or two per book so there are a lot of books moving around.

I am sure if you call the library they will be able to direct you to their FOL chapter.

Also, Salvation Army stores and Goodwill stores often sell books.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-04-2006, 3:45 PM
the donation was my first thought.
I called three law schools knowing that they are always missing various of the tomes from this standard and monstrous set. I couldn't fine any takers. They don't have the storage room.

I ckecked E-bay to see who was selling old law books finding that there are plenty available but no one want's 'em.

Flea marketing isn't an option.

My state has a ban on open burning.

I could drive 'em to PA and burn all day long.
I think the pit may be the last resort option. I'll try one more time.

Who'd have thought that these books would ever be worthless? They are still entirely current and perfectly useful it's just that no one has the room and everyone has a subscription to one internet legal research databases.

Steve Clardy
10-04-2006, 5:23 PM
Another thought.
Theres several places on the internet that sell used books.
They may be interested. Shipping cost may be a problem though.

Matt Warfield
10-04-2006, 5:36 PM
If they end up not being at all useful to anyone, try your local fire department to see if they need a practice fire. I know of several locals who have gotten rid of lead based painted houses that way.

Frank Kobilsek
10-04-2006, 5:58 PM
Cliff
One time I busted up a concrete patio before i found out how much is was going to cost me to haul it away. I was relatively poor at the time. So I just started putting a chunk in the garbage can every week. It took awhile but I got rid of the patio. I also paid off the garbage man with a case of beer about half way thourgh the process and then I could put two chunks in each can.
Frank

Robert Mickley
10-04-2006, 6:28 PM
Makes me glad we can burn on the farm, and waht won't burn goes in the dumpster!!

Jim Becker
10-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Donate them to a local homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc. Some libraries also have fund raiser book sales and take them then in bulk. 'Tis a shame to throw out books! (IMHO, of course...and I have about 10 boxes of them ready to donate when I find the time to transport them)

Steve Rowe
10-04-2006, 11:43 PM
You could just wait for the remake of the movie Farenheit 451.:D

Joe Pelonio
10-05-2006, 8:59 AM
Cliff, if these are legal books, maybe your local prison would like them for the prisoners to use. :eek:

Frank Fusco
10-05-2006, 10:36 AM
You could just wait for the remake of the movie Farenheit 451.:D

Intellectually, I know some old books are worthless. But, my gut and principals rebel at the thought of burning books.

Matt Warfield
10-05-2006, 2:33 PM
Intellectually, I know some old books are worthless. But, my gut and principals rebel at the thought of burning books.

My principals rebelled against me for burning books too!! :D :D Or was that me rebelling?

Russ Filtz
10-06-2006, 8:12 AM
If they end up not being at all useful to anyone, try your local fire department to see if they need a practice fire. I know of several locals who have gotten rid of lead based painted houses that way.

I doubt the lead burned! :D Just ended up on the ground, in the ash, in the air. Much cheaper than tearing down and hauling to a hazardous waste landfill though!

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Remember when you could go to the dump and shoot rats?
Now you'd go to prison for that on multiple charges ranging from Felony use of a weapon for an illegal purpose, discharge in city limits, hunting W/O a permit, and even animal cruelty.

Might get a cell with that Foley guy.