PDA

View Full Version : Surgery Over

Von Bickley
10-04-2006, 1:22 PM
My surgery is over and according to the company representative that makes the Implantable Defibrilator (ICD) that I have, I will not have any problems with using any of my woodworking tools. I will not be able to use a chain saw, arc welder, cell phone on my left side and I will not be allowed to go thru the metal detectors at the courthouse or airport. I can live with all this...

Had the surgery on Mon. Morning and came home Tue. noon. Everything working O.K. The doctor told my wife I couldn't build anything for 3 weeks but I can be making plans and getting some material together.

Thanks for the response I had a while back about ICD's.

It's Good To Be Here...:) :) :)

tod evans
10-04-2006, 1:25 PM
glad to hear you`re doing well von! and cell phones, chainsaws-n-metal detectors ain`t all they`re cracked up to be:rolleyes: ..tod

[edit] `cause my spellin`s worsern` normal....

Roy Wall
10-04-2006, 1:31 PM
Good news Von!!!

You don't require any of that stuff anyway....keep it going!!:)

Vaughn McMillan
10-04-2006, 3:03 PM
From one Vaughn to another Von, glad to here they got you sewed back together, and ticking away.

Brad Noble
10-04-2006, 3:31 PM
" It's Good To Be Here...:) :) :)"

Tis just as good to have you here WITH us. Glad to hear your getting along well.

Brad

Bruce Page
10-04-2006, 3:35 PM
Von, I'm happy that things are going well for you!

Jeffrey Makiel
10-04-2006, 4:16 PM
Von,
Is it possible they were thinking of hand tools when you asked the question?...sort of like the Wood Wright Shop?

I recommend you clearly inform the doctor/rep if you plan on using motorized tools with inductive motors up to ??? horsepower. Many of our common tools, like the table saw, radial arm saw, bandsaw, etc., emit magnetic fields and may have fairly large motors. Some tools may have their motor in closse proximity to your chest such as a sander or scroll saw.

I'm no doctor, but these are the things I learned when my Mom had her pacemaker installed. It concerns me to hear that you have to stay away from chainsaws and arc welders. What makes these tools different?

cheers, Jeff

Steven Wilson
10-04-2006, 6:43 PM
Ok, I get the arc welder and cell phone, why the chainsaw? And congradulations on the successful implant.

Jason Roehl
10-04-2006, 7:35 PM
Ok, I get the arc welder and cell phone, why the chainsaw? And congradulations on the successful implant.

Magneto ignition, I'll bet.

Good to hear you're doing well, Von!

Jim Becker
10-04-2006, 8:56 PM
Oh, you are so going to like your new "close friends" at Homeland Security when you travel!! ;) :D

Seriously, I'm very glad to hear things went well and that you can get back to making some sawdust!!!

scott spencer
10-04-2006, 9:40 PM
That's good news Von. I know all too well what it's like to be banned from the shop due to surgery! :(

Hope you're back at it in short order!

Von Bickley
10-04-2006, 9:46 PM

I don't really know. I read somewhere it's due to having both hands on the chainsaw and your hands being close to the sparkplug. Not supposed to lean over a car when it's running and the hood is up????? I just don't know, but I'll take their word for it.

Mark Rios
10-04-2006, 9:52 PM
GREAT NEWS VON!!!!!!

Glad to see you posting so soon. It's great to hear from you.

Peter Pedisich
10-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Von,

Good news, you're better off without the cell phone anyway. Glad to hear you can use your ww tools.

Pete

Charles McKinley
10-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Glad to hear that every thing is going well.

Three weeks will go fast. Then back to the shop. Just think it wil be Christmas before we know it.

Be Safe.