PDA

View Full Version : How long til I can turn a dna soak pen blank?

Bob Hallowell
10-04-2006, 12:50 PM
I cut up some wet mrytle burl and others and soaked them overnight in dna. then wrapped them in newspaper about a 10 days ago. How long til it should be safe to use them. They are between 7/8 and 3/4 thick?

thanks,
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2006, 1:46 PM
Bob I wait about 14 days on mine. That seems to work out best. No troubles either.

Frank Fusco
10-04-2006, 3:15 PM
If already cut to pen blank size, a minute in the microwave would have saved the alcohol soak mess and waste.

Joe Melton
10-04-2006, 4:33 PM
If you don't have a moisture meter, and I assume you don't, you can set them on top of a hot water heater and in a couple of days they will be ready for sure. I've never had one crack while drying that way.
Joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-04-2006, 8:51 PM
I use the Microwave, Too. 2 minutes @ 20%. Touch them. If them are hot, let them cool and do again, till they are no longer hot. Then, they are dry.

bruce

Gary DeWitt
10-05-2006, 3:17 AM
If you have a good accurate scale, weigh them every couple days. When the weight doesn't change, they're dry.

Bob Hallowell
10-05-2006, 8:49 AM
thanks for your help, But I do have one question. when they come out of the microwave and the are not hot. that is when they are done?

Bob

Matt Wachter
10-05-2006, 10:21 AM
thanks for your help, But I do have one question. when they come out of the microwave and the are not hot. that is when they are done?

Bob

I'm no expert, still waiting for my first decent lathe, but soaking up all of the info here. My guess would be that when you take them out of the microwave and they are not hot, that the microwave has evoporated all (most) of the water in your blanks. If they are hot, the wood is still being heated by the water in the wood.