PDA

View Full Version : The Good Life...

Jim DeLaney
10-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Just had to boast about this. Been retired for a couple years now, and am enjoying it immensely.

Some of the best things about it are those little things we often take for granted. For example, it was warm last night, so I was sleeping with the bedroom windows open. About 6:30 this morning, I was awakened by a large flock of Canada geese, making their way Southward. Upon opening my eyes, the first thing I could see was out the window into the woods behind the house, and the first maple tree to turn color this Fall. What a great view to wake up to!

http://www.jcdelaney.com/Fall 06.jpg

Cecil Arnold
10-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Isn't retirement great!

Dave Ray
10-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Great view Jim, thanks for the pic. Enjoy that retirement, you worked hard and long for it.

Jon Shively
10-04-2006, 1:16 PM
My dad says he is so busy in retirement he doesn't know how he had time to go to work! Glad you are enjoying retirement. Way to many don't and become couch potatoes. Beautiful scenery.

tod evans
10-04-2006, 1:20 PM
jim, if i live to retirement i`ll be doing exactly as i am now only for friends-n-family instead of pay......pretty good mornin` shot...tod

Karl Laustrup
10-04-2006, 1:21 PM
That's real pretty Jim.

Here's the one in our back yard. A little further along than yours.

Karl

Jerry Clark
10-04-2006, 1:48 PM
We-tired :D "Best job I ever had!";)

Bruce Page
10-04-2006, 3:18 PM
Go ahead and rub it in Jim!

Several of my friends have retired in the last few years and they echo your sentiments. I have a few more years to go. :(

Al Willits
10-04-2006, 4:36 PM
""""""""
Some of the best things about it are those little things we often take for granted
"""""""

One of the last service calls I had, was at a house in one of the outlying suburbs, when I drove up there were about 5 or 6 deer walking around their rather big backyard, I watched for a few moments and by then a teen aged girl came out and asked if I was there to fix there furnace, I said yes, and was just admiring the deer, she repled, "ya them damn things are all over".....

This city boy would have given his right arm to be where she was, and see them sights.

Sometimes I think we don't know how well we have it.....:)

Enjoy your retirement, less than 5 years for me....

Al

Larry James
10-04-2006, 5:54 PM
Retired at 59 in April 2001 - Love It

Just had to boast about this. Been retired for a couple years now, and am enjoying it immensely. Jim, I'v been hearing the what conservationist Aldo Leopold called "Goose Music" also. I live near the shore of Lake Superior and hear the geese, even after dark, as they arrive from Canada.

Enjoy your retirement, less than 5 years for me....
Al, how are your knees holding up? I serviced HVAC equipment for many years, and I retired after 20 years of teaching same. The best advice I have for anyone planning retirement is owe as little money as possible when you retire.

Jerry Olexa
10-04-2006, 6:41 PM
Nice pic--Enjoy your retirement....I am also:)

Robert Mickley
10-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Them geese didn't go very far south. They are down there in the pasture.

Won't be long Jim and you will have plenty of pretty colors to look at there.

Jim DeLaney
10-04-2006, 10:49 PM
...Won't be long Jim and you will have plenty of pretty colors to look at there.

Yeah, and with 12 big oaks, 13 maples, a hickory and a beech, there'll be plenty of leaves to rake. Gotta get a net over the pond pretty soon, too...

Curt Fuller
10-04-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm a long ways from being retired but I did get a picture of some maples turning red along with a little snow in the background. We had an early mountain snow a couple weeks ago and I got this picture from the Trapper's Loop road looking up towards Snow Basin. (If you watched any of the 2002 Winter Olympics Snow Basin was the site of the downhill and giant slalom.)

Glenn Clabo
10-05-2006, 7:58 AM
As my friends retire (5 in the last year) and leave me to this mess for a couple of more years...I get these kind of emails every day. It really doesn't depress me...it actually makes me feel good for everyone who makes it out alive and healthy enough to enjoy. Fingers crossed and treadmill walked in hopes of making it myself.

Rick Gibson
10-05-2006, 8:15 AM
Nice Jim. I made it out nearly 5 years ago with a buyout package and pension. Best job I ever had. Tree means winter is coming - more shop time. Mine is in the basement so I get most of my shop time in winter and outside stuff in summer.

Robert Mickley
10-05-2006, 8:52 AM
Yeah, and with 12 big oaks, 13 maples, a hickory and a beech, there'll be plenty of leaves to rake. Gotta get a net over the pond pretty soon, too...

Should I just bring the sawmill to your house? :D

Matt Guyrd
10-05-2006, 9:16 AM

Now THAT made me laugh! Good one!

Jim...I am only 36, but already look forward to (early?) retirement. Some say retirement is when life really begins. Enjoy!

Matt

Eddie Watkins
10-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Nice picture, Jim. I guess that means we will be taking our annual pilgrimage to NW Arkansas, SW Mo to see their leaves change. We have a few trees here that have nice color but for the most part they are balckjack and post oak which turn brown. I am struggling with the retirement question. I'm eligible, just can't seem to pull the trigger. I have calculated my retirement three times in the past week and it comes out the same each time, imagine that:o . As I figure it, I am working for about $7/hour. It is just so final! I'm thinking sometime between now and January 2008.

Eddie

Jim DeLaney
10-05-2006, 6:12 PM

Uhh... I'll let you know when.

Jim DeLaney
10-05-2006, 6:17 PM
...Jim...I am only 36, but already look forward to (early?) retirement. Some say retirement is when life really begins. Enjoy!

Matt

I was able to retire at 59 - about four years later than I'd really hoped to, but still a lot earlier than many (most?).

I'm finding it really enjoyable. No schedules. No deadlines. No whiney clients complaining...

My wife and I are doing just whatever we want to do, whenever we want to, and we're loving it. We're travelling, enjoying our hobbies, and just plain enjoying life. Wish I could have done this a long time ago!